Female getting abrasions on neck from breeding - normal?

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Female getting abrasions on neck from breeding - normal?

Postby Spindown » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:07 pm

My female is starting to get abrasions on her neck from the breeding, and is losing a few scales in that area. When should I be concerned and stop pairing? I realize experienced females usually have scars on their necks from breeding so I know there is going to be some damage.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Re: Female getting abrasions on neck from breeding - normal?

Postby Richard.C » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:19 pm

Pretty normal,northern males can be rough buggers,plus they stuff around abit alot before copulating,usually heals up pretty good after a shed or 2,but some will still show signs
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:25 pm

I've also had the same concerns as I hate when beautiful looking females get roughed up. It's been a yr since they last mated but you can clearly see the damage on a couple of them from last yr. Of course you can always try what I did. It may sound stupid, but I cut up some cloth about 2 inches by an inch and taped it on the nape of the neck. It does work sometimes as it does not seem to bother the males though sometimes it will fall off when the female is moving too much while mating.

KL
Last edited by kl on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:30 pm

Oh, good I'm glad she'll recover fairly quickly. Could I use neosporin with no painrelief on her abrasions after the season is over to help recovery?
~Alyy
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love

Postby StaceyLeigh » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:41 am

This happened with my female, Calypso this year also (1st year breeding) By the 4th go round she had a scrap that was bleeding a little, so that was the last time I put them together.
She had other scraps as well, but the one by the shoulder was the worst. I washed the area with warm water and witch hazel, and then treated with poly-sporin. I did this for 4-5 days, and you can barely see it now. It is so hard to sit by and watch them get scraped up! :(
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby hurricanejen » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:29 pm

My girls get some scratched up spots on their necks, and the big female (who is a B*tch with a capital B, to be fair) often gets beat up on her sides and base of her tail as well while they have their pre-mating "discussion". By the end of the year before brumation they are pretty much entirely healed up and smooth again, with only the tiniest of scars on anyone.

You might want to give them a week or two off to cool down and make sure there aren't any actual wounds or anything, but some beating-up is pretty normal.
I used to be cool.
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:43 pm

I can update this thread now that I've started trying to pair up animals. It is a bit concerning when you see all the damage on these poor animals. Blotched especially show the damage because of the glossy black background color. I've been applying Neosporin. I did try taping one female's mouth today and at least it worked in stopping the female from ripping apart the male though she still did not allow mating and sustained more damage. 4 days of unsuccessful mating attempts with a willing male does a lot of damage to those females. The way I look at it, superficial scraping will eventually shed out but the deeper damage would take a ton of sheds to eventually get to the deeper levels of damage over time.

Kim
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:53 pm

Shes healing quite well, thankfully, so I'm glad I treated her :)
~Alyy
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:30 pm

ist and 3rd show damage scales on 2 different females. Last pic is the longest breeding female as she has endured 5 yrs of breeding. 2nd picture is of a female that's refused all breeding since she was born 3 yrs ago. Her scales remain smooth. How do the other 2 compare with what others see for damage on your females. Will this improve at all?

Kim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Postby Dakota » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:35 pm

Blotches in America? Awesome, I have never bred, so not answering question. Just admiring the blotches ^-^
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:57 am

Let please read the rules for this forum BEFORE posting. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17330 We are getting a lot of comments and chatty type stuff rather than the discussions that this forum is intended for. Comments, one liners, compliments and other posts that do not add value to the discussion should not be posted here.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:43 pm

20130312_072722.jpg
20130312_072710.jpg
20130310_181908.jpg

this lass of mine was very roughed up this season,probably one of the worst ive ever seen,early in gravidity youu could barely see her color on her back ,and as u can see even behind her front legs was bad,the back looks not so bad now after a couple of sheds,the sides of her still look very red,but look alot better than earlier in the piece,first time ive seen the flanks get knocked around so much,hopefully in another shed or 2 it clears up for her,but shes likely to have scarring for good,her sister in comparison doesnt even look to have been touched by males

males often get good scarring on there heads when kept together outdoors,the odd female probably gets fed up and for that mating period and abit either side the males can get a tad testosteroney and let others know whos boss
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:15 am

why is it always MY threads that get hijacked?! (I must have some good topics LOL)

Richard, she didnt bruise this year, but last year she had a similar bruise to the top girl. She mainly lost some scales on her upper neck and had some abrasions more than bruising. Shes healing well now though since I put some reptile safe neosporin on her scales. The abrasions are all gone and I'm sure that the scales will shed out and be fine :)
~Alyy
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:33 pm

I did not mean to hijack the thread. I was just showing examples of what they tend to look like with my females as a comparison as as I'm also concerned about it. Sorry.

KL
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:02 pm

I just re-read this whole thread. I don't see any hint of hi-jacking. Not sure what the reference is to there. One irrelevant post, but other than that, every post is 100% related to the original question.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:51 am

nortjerns are pretty rough,they seem to get scale damage quite easily,my 3 had it right down there backs,but especially neck shoulder region,male stuffs around before attempting to mate,the remarkable thing with northerns is they heel quite well,the pics i showed are all the 1 female,one afternoon i saw her get mated 4 times in 2 hours ny one male,i have a u tube vid of the 4th time,other males were also chasing her so probably why she got knocked around a bit

alot of wild ones cop pretty bad scarring to,i hate to see it,especially as some females dont seem to get a scale out of place,but it unfortunatly doesnt aleays go that way
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:59 pm

Some scarring is a fact of life if breeding, some get beaten around more, some recover better.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:13 am

lol it was kinda a joke, I was referring to the omg there are blotchies in america post :)
KL, wasnt talking about your post, its good to see what other blueys have recovered from visually (well, not good to see they've been "hurt" but you know what I mean) :D
~Alyy

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”