About ''new form Merauke''

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Pascal Paradis
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 pm
Country:
Location: Quebec

About ''new form Merauke''

Postby Pascal Paradis » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:16 am

What is that? Is it some kind of cross praticed by breeders or does it originate from the wild like the classic merauke... and how are they different? And why are all BTS of evanescens subspecie named ''merauke'' while they are not specific to that location? Their distribution range cover all the south of papua new guinea and extend a little beyond the southeastern limit of Irian jaya, near the Merauke city. I would be grateful to the person who clear all that confusion.

Btw I am a new to this forum. I got 2 BTS a month ago. A big brown really docile and one less friendly with impressive color: a bisque colored back and pinkish side, clear stripe and a white face. They are like my babies <3
User avatar
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Re: About ''new form Merauke''

Postby kenn » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:28 am

There are all ready topics on this topic ;)

Welcome!
Greetings
Kenn

Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
ssr
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:34 pm
Country:
Location: Iowa

Re: About ''new form Merauke''

Postby ssr » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:03 pm

Look in the Advanced Discussion Forum. There is a thread labeled "Skinks from Indonesia" that you may find helpful.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: About ''new form Merauke''

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:40 pm

I just want to say, I didn't start this :)
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: About ''new form Merauke''

Postby Bluish » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:54 pm

Yeah, but you know you wanted to!
Just kidding ML.:-)
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: About ''new form Merauke''

Postby Jeff » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:10 pm

I THINK T.g.evanescens were given the common name "merauke" because the first specimens were found around Merauke. If nothing else, we should learn that giving common names based on geographical locations is not a good idea unless we know that the animal in question is limited to that location only.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: About ''new form Merauke''

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:43 pm

To put it very simply, there was at one point a very simple, definited Merauke BTS. They were commonly imported, and they all looked about the same.

Suddenly, there were new skinks being imported. They mostly match what we define as a Merauke, but they just look different. They're more colourful and the bands are thicker. But they still have speckly legs and one stripe on the back of the neck. Because no one knows why they look different (different locality?) we simply called them new-form Meraukes.
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: About ''new form Merauke''

Postby Jeff » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:00 am

I think it's funny to call an animal "new" when the "old" form was only described in 2000. Up until then, keyensis was the only sub species of gigas. All the rest were T.g.gigas, and refered to as "New Guinea" bluetongue skinks. From what I can tell, I think most academics still refer to T.g.gigas as "northern New Guinea" bts, and T.g.evanescens as "southern New Guinea" bts. I'm not sure those common names are much better than "indo" or "Merauke", but they are at least slightly more acurate geographically.

I personally wish we could throw out the term "new merauke". They are not newer, they are simply a form that wasn't imported as frequently until later than the others. If we need terms to describe different looking animals of the same sub species I think the label should be descriptive. For instance, "wide banded merauke", or "colorful merauke". That way it would be more clear that we are not talking about a different sub species, but simply describing how this individual merauke looks. I think it would eliminate the confusion caused over and over by the term "new merauke".
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: About ''new form Merauke''

Postby Richard.C » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:58 am

Sounds like when kimberley northerns came on the scene,still a northern but oh so different to your typical classic northerns
User avatar
Pascal Paradis
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 pm
Country:
Location: Quebec

Re: About ''new form Merauke''

Postby Pascal Paradis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Thank you everybody. I didn't expect such thorough answer and I am surprise of the interest it was given.I will have to show you my 2 merauke someday. Did one of you ever see a brown gray merauke? It is uncommon? I know it could only be an intergrade.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: About ''new form Merauke''

Postby Richard.C » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:27 pm

There are brown gray ones,so possably pure meurake
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: About ''new form Merauke''

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:13 pm

My Merauke is sometimes brown and gray...
It's not Classic though.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Pascal Paradis
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 pm
Country:
Location: Quebec

Re: About ''new form Merauke''

Postby Pascal Paradis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:57 pm

Thats a good new. Knowing that I can now pair him with my other blue tongue whose is definitely a full merauke. I was reticent to breed them as I didn't want to cross subspecie. I am aware the environmental factors triggering gigas species mating behaviours are nebulous but I am confident I will figure this out.
User avatar
Pascal Paradis
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 pm
Country:
Location: Quebec

Re: About ''new form Merauke''

Postby Pascal Paradis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:07 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:My Merauke is sometimes brown and gray...
It's not Classic though.


Can you post a pic of your merauke Lizardmonitor?
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: About ''new form Merauke''

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:21 pm

There is a picture of him as my avatar. I can get some full body pictures up later.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Susann and 160 guests