Yet. Another Breathing question

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Midnightgallop
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Yet. Another Breathing question

Postby Midnightgallop » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:08 pm

I tried looking for the link to a youtube video that was mentioned in a thread I found here when searching for the answer to this breathing question. Might someone here have the link?

Also, got my bluey sunday and he/she has been heavy breathing (in chest and throat) for awhile now. Ive read here some of this is normal. I thought it was just stress as there appesr to be no other signs of RI. And the sneezing I have heard is when he/she burrows or takes a drink.is this definitely stress and when will it calm down?

Ill try to make my own video. Also...basking is 108 and ambient is 78 or 80. He/she spends lots of time basking unnder the basking rock.
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Re: Yet. Another Breathing question

Postby Katrina » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:54 pm

Have you looking up 'huffing''? Are you sure it isn't just huffing because the new bluey isn't used to you? Heavy / deep breathing is usually a 'back off' sign from an unsure bluey.

Breathing is a concern is it is extremely labored or if it 'crackles' or sounds like air is moving through liquids - that is a definitely cause for concern. But heavy breathing like you describe sounds like huffing. :)
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:57 pm

BTS lack a diaphragm so oxygen exchange is achieved by muscular expansion/contraction. What is described (so long as there aren't symptoms of RI) should be considered fairly normal. It can be exacerbated by stress but I have also seen very relaxed BTS do the same in the chest but not the throat as a sign of contentment . As Katrina noted it may even be the standard huffing indicating s/he wants to be left alone to settle into the new environment, but that is accompanied by an audible expulsion of air.

Keeping a close watch will most likely ensure it continues if it is stress induced, but it should not continue for long once s/he becomes settled. They are obligate nose breathers so if the mouth is open to breathe it could indicate a respiratory problem.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Midnightgallop
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Midnightgallop » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:58 am

Thank you so much for the help you guys. Ill look up huffing. No mouth breathing and no other signs of RI thatd id see in say, a snake or something. Also, he/she just made an audible huff nise at me once when I changed the water and disturbed them. All the other times the deep/heavy breathing is not accompanied by any noise. I will keep watch thanks again :)

Also, should I lower my basking temp you think? It was 108.
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:41 am

How big is the basking area? If it 108 at the hottest spot? What is the cool end temp?

If you have a small enclosure then I'd lower it a bit. I have larger enclosures with fairly large basking areas so I don't worry quite so much. It might get 108 at the very hottest point, but there are lots of areas not directly under it where the temps are a bit cooler, so the blueys will have plenty of space to find the perfect basking temp for them (not that they are sensitive enough to detect changes down to the degree - but if they feel its a bit warm they can move over). My enclosures are 4' by 2.5' and the basking areas are about 1/5 to 1/4 of that in slate rocks - so even if the basking spot is a bit above the recommended 95-100F it still doesn't heat up the cool end.
Midnightgallop
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Midnightgallop » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Katrina wrote:How big is the basking area? If it 108 at the hottest spot? What is the cool end temp?

If you have a small enclosure then I'd lower it a bit. I have larger enclosures with fairly large basking areas so I don't worry quite so much. It might get 108 at the very hottest point, but there are lots of areas not directly under it where the temps are a bit cooler, so the blueys will have plenty of space to find the perfect basking temp for them (not that they are sensitive enough to detect changes down to the degree - but if they feel its a bit warm they can move over). My enclosures are 4' by 2.5' and the basking areas are about 1/5 to 1/4 of that in slate rocks - so even if the basking spot is a bit above the recommended 95-100F it still doesn't heat up the cool end.

Sorry for taking so long my probe thermometer for the cool side broke.I changed the bulb so the basing area is now 97.5 the bulb that worked the best before the skink got here blew so. Ive been having a ard time with wattage and which dome to use. Cool sde is 85 to 86 (probe on top of hide) and I think its just my room being too hot. Even im too warm now ! :/

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”