Sick Skink- WON'T EAT AND SPASMS!!!!!

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
ReptiLover43
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Sick Skink- WON'T EAT AND SPASMS!!!!!

Postby ReptiLover43 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:33 am

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and joined because I got a new BTS two weeks ago and he/she isn't doing well AT ALL!!!
When the baby arrived( got it online), the packaging was terrible and it was already skinny. I tried contacting the breeder about it, but he ignored my messages. I tried to feed it, but the skink barely eats anything. At first, I thought it was still settling in. Now (since last night) it has started having spasms every few hours and ends up on its back. I'm about to resort to force-feeding. I'm setting up a vet appointment tomorrow, but can anyone help shed some light on what's happening to my baby???
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman

Re: Sick Skink- WON'T EAT AND SPASMS!!!!!

Postby Bird_Brain » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:00 pm

I don't think anyone would be qualified enough to make a good assessment of what's going on (Kenn maybe able to help, but again, not really able to diagnose over the Internet).

I personally would avoid force feeding. I think the stress involved would do more damage than good. Try to keep it warm and hydrated. Good luck at the vets! Care to say who you purchased it from?
Brad
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:12 pm

Yes, don't force feed - just keep it warm until you can get it to a qualified vet. Good luck, please let us know how it turns out!
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kenn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:59 pm

ReptileKing wrote: Try to keep it warm and hydrated. Good luck at the vets! Care to say who you purchased it from?

Indeed.
As I read your story, it's POSSIBLE your skink has hypocalcaemia. Lack of Calcium.
That's when symptoms occur as:
-anorexia
-spams
-rachitis
-tremors
-rubber jaws

I would go to a vet, he can evaluate to inject calciumborogluconate (or something else) and use his skills to
a) try to recover your animal
b) force feed it

Because of the slim body, I would evaluate also some faeces and take a RX-radiograph.

I hope we aren't to late for this animal...
Greetings
Kenn

Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
ReptiLover43
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptiLover43 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Well, went to the vet and after 2 hours of anxiously waiting, the doctor said the baby looked like it hadn't been eating for some time and was dehydrated (even though he, aka, Moe, drinks water everyday). He gave me some supplement food that I mix with water and... well... I have to force-feed Moe once a day until he starts eating on his own again. Unfortunately, the stress of being force-fed by the doctor and the trip to and from the doctor caused him to have another seizure. It was so bad, I thought it killed him, because he didn't move or even breathe for 5 minutes. Thinking my new baby had died, I started to cry and was getting ready to bury him and all of a sudden, his tiny foot moves.
He inflates his body and pokes out his tongue and breathes!!! Hope he pulls through this tough time and you can be sure I'm going to do everything I can to keep him safe, warm and fed!!
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Probably dehydrated from before it got to you,takes a bit to get over,but good sign its drinking for you

Sounds like a shonky breeder sending u a problem animal,possably an importer,but who knows,hopefully the little tyke comes good

Im not sure about force feeding him,that causes alot of stress,especially to an already stressed animal,can i ask you what you are feeding him,or trying to?

If hes drinking fine you could try some raw egg and more pulverised food,might lap it up so get nourishment minus the stress,other wise thetes some foods they love,even picky eaters barely reject,eg garden snails,bluetongue candy
ReptiLover43
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptiLover43 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:02 pm

He's having seizure-like spasms for frequently now... and keeps passing out ever two hours. I don't think he's going to last the night...
ReptiLover43
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptiLover43 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:31 pm

He passed away.
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Very sorry to hear that. Thank you for caring and trying to help him :hug:
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:09 pm

Very sorry to hear that. :(
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Sounds like you did everything that you could. I have heard of similar symptoms after tropical blueys have been exposed to cold temperatures.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Sorry to hear that,the spasms could be the thrashing around often seen in pretty sick reptiles towards the end,not a good result when you just purchase an animal and they send u a problem animal,please dont feel discouraged,as this isnt the usual with juvie blueys

Definatly dont buy from that seller again,passing on crook lizards,especially online is a pretty low act
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kenn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:54 pm

Yuk!

Temperature was indeed another option, trauma, tumour, .. (but all guesses)

I feel sorry we (and the vet) couldn't help you more.

Isn't there a guarantee law (I know here in Belgium, in your case for example: you could let an offical recognized vet do an autopsy and when the cause of death was due to the breeders fault,..he has to pay you the ammount back, or give you another animal of the same value) Offcourse, it doesn't bring your baby skink back.
:|

Makes me angry :nono: these people who give/sell sick animals!
Greetings
Kenn

Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
dsteamn
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby dsteamn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:56 am

Oh. I feel so badly for you. Just know that you did everything right. I hope you will decide to get another one at some point. They are amazing animals and make such wonderful pets. They are normally very resilient little fellows. That just shows what horrible shape he was in when you got him.

Where do you live? There are several good breeders on this site who I'm sure you would have better luck with when you are ready for another one.

We're all so sorry for your loss.
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love

Postby StaceyLeigh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:30 pm

So sorry for your loss!
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Bluish » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Sorry to hear about your little guy :( .
Fauna classifieds has a boi (board of inquiry) where you can check to reputations of online sellers and leave feedback. Leaving feedback (positive or negative) helps other hobbyists decide who to deal with and who to avoid. Many sellers will also be more willing to make things right if they know you are going to post on the boi. If you receive an animal in rough shape it is beneficial to take pictures or video as proof when problems arise.
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
taniya91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby taniya91 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:17 am

this is horrible...im sorry :(
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:15 pm

How terrible, I also HIGHLY recommend sharing your story on the Fauna Classifieds BOI like Bluish has mentioned. PLEASE share your story with others so that others wont support such an awful person that seller is :(
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”