BTS making a small clicking noise?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
JonghyunTheSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

BTS making a small clicking noise?

Postby JonghyunTheSkink » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:22 pm

Jonghyun was resting on my shoulder and I could hear him making a small clicking noise and I believe it was coming from his nose, can this be a bad thing?
Kbell31
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Re: BTS making a small clicking noise?

Postby Kbell31 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:35 pm

Lots of people ask this. A respiratory infection can cause a clicking sound when the skink breathes. But skinks can make a lot of odd little noises when they breathe.
Is it showing any other symptoms? Crusty eyes or nose? Lethargy? Loss of appetite?
Are your night temp's high enough?

Honestly my skink sometimes makes a clicking noise too when it breathes. I would monitor it closely and at the first sign of anything else problematic I would have a vet take a look at it. RI's shouldnt be left untreated.
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
Kbell31
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Kbell31 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:35 pm

Lots of people ask this. A respiratory infection can cause a clicking sound when the skink breathes. But skinks can make a lot of odd little noises when they breathe.
Is it showing any other symptoms? Crusty eyes or nose? Lethargy? Loss of appetite?
Are your night temp's high enough?

Honestly my skink sometimes makes a clicking noise too when it breathes. I would monitor it closely and at the first sign of anything else problematic I would have a vet take a look at it. RI's shouldnt be left untreated.
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop

Postby Alioop » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:28 pm

Ditto to what KBell said. Somewhere there's an old video clip on one of my easterns showing symptoms of a very mild RI. I will try to find it to give you an idea of what RI breathing sounds like.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop

Postby Alioop » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Here we are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ixW9JCfwqs
This was recorded when I first began to suspect an RI. At the time actually, most of the responses I got assured me that he was fine but shortly after this he did begin to show other RI symptoms (crusty eyes, runny nose, more severe crackling), though they were very mild and he got over it quickly and easily. In the video I'm trying to get him to huff, because thats when the crackling was most noticeable, but you'll only hear a couple little crackles right at the beginning. Notice also the tongue sticking out and his obvious lethargy, you can just see it in his face that he doesn't feel good. Around 1:10 you'll see spit bubbles which are not indicative of an RI on their own, but can be a symptom. These are some things to watch out for.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
Kbell31
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Kbell31 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:22 pm

Aww, I just watched that video. Poor little guy! It was very obvious he wasnt feeling well, so glad he came through easily-
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby AnnaMonroe » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:04 pm

Could there be other reasons why a bluey would stick out the tip of his tongue for a short period of time?
JonghyunTheSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby JonghyunTheSkink » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:43 pm

When I pick him up and pet him when he's in his tank he huffs at me and I haven't noticed a change in the way he sounds. I haven't heard the clicking sound as of recently so I don't know if he was doing it for a while or what was happening. He's not moving slow either. It's more like a small pop than a click. Also he wheezes but that's mostly when I touch him so I know that's associated with his huffing at me
bella3
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby bella3 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:43 pm

I just went through this recently, and after a couple vet visits she still does it ocasionally. The second vet said everything was fine, and she was in great condition, the first vet (this one was less experianced, and not as interested you could say) said that x-rays were needed, although since they were $400 x-rays I decided to go to a different vet, but before that I double checked the temperatures, and left her alone for a few days (I was paranoid that I was going to stress her out and make it worse) and it stopped after a few days. The clicking noise was not like the one in the video that Alioop posted, it was more like a light clicking/pop when she was breathing. I may have a video somewhere that I can look for.
Anyways hopefully it doesn't come back, and I hope I helped somewhat :D
Keep us posted!
JonghyunTheSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby JonghyunTheSkink » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:48 am

bella3 wrote:I just went through this recently, and after a couple vet visits she still does it ocasionally. The second vet said everything was fine, and she was in great condition, the first vet (this one was less experianced, and not as interested you could say) said that x-rays were needed, although since they were $400 x-rays I decided to go to a different vet, but before that I double checked the temperatures, and left her alone for a few days (I was paranoid that I was going to stress her out and make it worse) and it stopped after a few days. The clicking noise was not like the one in the video that Alioop posted, it was more like a light clicking/pop when she was breathing. I may have a video somewhere that I can look for.
Anyways hopefully it doesn't come back, and I hope I helped somewhat :D
Keep us posted!

This sounds exactly like what my little Jonghyun is doing. So I suppose I will leave him be then I will see where it takes him.
JonghyunTheSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby JonghyunTheSkink » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Here's an update! I still sort of hear the pop noise from my Jonghyun. I hope he's not getting sick. :/

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”