hybrids?

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

hybrids?

Postby kenn » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:47 am

This topic is dedicated forum myself, not to discuss the pro or contra of hybrides and morphs.

As it turns out, I have a IJ Bts. If I would get a partner for her, and it would bye mistake be another location.. is it possible that they breed?

My ask myself this question, because I prefer that locations don't have to mixed.
Is it in my scenario than better not to breed?

I'm vers curious about your opinions about hybrides, morphs, mixes,...
Greetings
Kenn

Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Re: hybrids?

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:32 am

Hybrids and intergrades can definitely be produced, and general consensus will be negative towards them. It's already very difficult to obtain some pure species, so having people creating more mutts and throwing them into the gene pool tends to annoy BTS people. Not to mention how hard it can make IDing something. Anything bred to an IJ will make babies that look mostly IJ - thus putting out a whole bunch of "that looks IJ-ish" babies that people will buy, and possibly breed, without knowing. Now it's still possible to get IJs and gigas species from the wild, so new bloodlines can be obtained by serious breeders, but the Australian species are closed for imports, so if we muddy up those bloodlines we don't get another chance.

Morphs are considered neat by most people, but some people also just prefer to keep to the classic look of each species. Only real issue with morphs is that people tend to be so obsessed about morphs they don't care about pure species anymore, which can be annoying.

Stick around and do a bunch of research before you move into getting another. By then you should be able to ID IJs without any problem and find a great pair for your Frosti.
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kenn » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks Melanie!
Greetings
Kenn

and some other exotics
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:37 pm

My opinion on hybrids has evolved over time. In short, if every hybrid was acurately labeled as what it truly is for its entire life, I really wouldn't have much of a problem with them. I still don't understand why people outside of OZ would want to cross different types of BT, but if they are not passing off the offspring as something they are not, I don't worry too much about it.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Bluish » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:38 pm

The problem with hybrids is that these animals often change hands several times in their life and the true genetic info gets lost. Once indo closes down it may become very difficult to track down pure animals. IME most breeders in Canada are pretty conscientious but as the hobby grows that seems to be changing. I've seen more than one batch of mutts for sale this season.
I remember having this discussion about Indian pythons back in the day. Try finding a pure Indian now. Same is happening with diamond pythons. Since they've been move to sub specific status with carpets apparently many breeders thinks this gives them a green light to cross with carpets. Same thing happening to Boelen's python etc..
If the hybrids were distinct enough from either parent species so that there could be no confusion as to their origins eg. bateater pythons then it wouldn't bother me too much.
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:24 pm

Bluish, you pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. Well said!
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kenn » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:54 am

Fatal_S wrote:Bluish, you pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. Well said!

Indeed.
Here in my collection of snakes, you won't find any morph.

That's why I want to know the exact name/species of mysterieus BTS, so IF I would breed..I can give the correct info.
But first I want to know more about these wonderful creatures.

Thanks for posting your opinions guys/girls!
Greetings
Kenn

and some other exotics
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:49 am

I am pretty much positive that you don't have an IJ and instead have a Newer Form Merauke.
The best thing you can do if you want to get it a mate is get a picture of the animal that you are interested in and ask us if it is the same type, or you get a similar looking animal.
I personally LOVE morphs, as long as you know its lineage and still have original looking ones available.
Blue Tongue Skinks can inbreed, interbreed, create hybrids, etc and they do it all the time. It is not recommended to produce hybrids as it adulterates the gene pool.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:42 pm

I found out that I own one animal that could be considered a hybrid, but its not really a well-known thing if you arent a salamander person...Axoltols (Ambystoma mexicanum) were bred with Tiger salamanders (Ambystoma tigrinum) to get a morph known as the Golden Albino. All Golden Albino axies are this hybrid. I had no idea before I got her that this was the case, as I never found that in my basic care research X_X.
I really dislike hybrids and intergrades, and would never knowingly pay money for one...The original species are just as lovely on their own! In fact, I realllllly want a wild type axie too!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kenn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:13 am

Retic x Burmese
Lampropeltis x Pantherophis
Morelia x ...

Hybrids enough, so enough to dislike them all :dead:
Greetings
Kenn