Meet my new skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Meet my new skink

Postby Linnea » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:54 am

So, today was the day i got my second northern blue tongue skink. it was great 8)

hes a little fatty with lots of pretty colours. hes quite a lot more red than what i could see before o__o even in his eyes.
overall hes VERY calm. Litchie would run around like crazy but this one is so slow and careful.

hes basking now 8D ignoring me just like my other skink......

i promise more and better photos will arrive later.
now i gotta run back to school, and eat, and then run back to the skink :ohyes:

one thing's fore sure though, hes gonna have to drop a little weight. and hes got one monster claw to trim down as well. hes gonna hate me.

edit: i had enough time to fix two quick photos. not much to say about them, but remember hes much more reddish, even the black is a bit brown. i still suspect his heritage to not be clean scincoides, but maybe thats just cause i havent seen all too many skinks in person. i really think theres gigas in his family line somewhere.sides scream northern, but somehow........that red colour....and well, something tells me he has a grandparent who is not northern.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Linnea on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Re: Meet my new skink

Postby Rani-May » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:31 am

beautiful, id love to see more photos showing off more of his body and top colours. gorgeous colours
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:39 am

Looks full northern to me,they can be variable,some are very red on the flanks instead of the orangey,yours looks like a good example of a classic northern colorwise
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Postby Linnea » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:32 am

Richard.C wrote:Looks full northern to me,they can be variable,some are very red on the flanks instead of the orangey,yours looks like a good example of a classic northern colorwise

thank you for telling me that :D now i feel a bit better. not that id hold a grudge if he wasnt fully northern, but then he could not be used for breeding later.
it was so hard to leave him all alone home D: but hes most likely basking and moving around a lot.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Postby Linnea » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:49 am

more photos.

my family thinks hes really ugly :cry: they think litchie is pretty. i wonder what they see differently about this one? is it the extra weight? is it his lighter colour?
personally i find his peach nyance to be lovely. its just so different from litchie i cant even begin comparing them. and speaking of peach.....im thinking of naming him that (lets stick with the fruit theme).

i have not measured him yet, but i think hes a bit past 50 cm. his chubbyness makes him look short, something my sister so dearly noted :|

hes currently basking :> and he does the tongue roll thing so i suppose he wanted me to give him food. :|

before staring at the images. remember the pink/red/orange colour of peaches. thats the nyance he has on his sides, and not orange. my camera just wont cooperate in this light. also his general base colour is light toffee coloured, not orange. gah. camera.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Buddy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:57 am

Oh my!!! He's a true beauty Linnea! :lovestruck:
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Postby Linnea » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:12 pm

thank you :D

here, a video. the last shows his back pattern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX0fBJwG ... e=youtu.be
Litchie, northern 1.0
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Buddy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:32 pm

Wow, he almost looks metallic :D Like you said, he is a little on the fat side, has the same chin as Buddy :whistle: He looks really healthy and energetic though

Let me know how his weight loss goes, maybe I can drop Buddy off and they can go on fat camp together :mrgreen:
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Postby Linnea » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:36 pm

ill stick to a diet of meals 2 times a week and more vegetable matter, whereas litchie when he wakes will have more meat matter to gain weight after brumation.
ill also make sure he gets extra D3 since im not sure how this has been given before.

then its just up to the skink to start moving :roll:
i think he will move a lot in spring and eat much less. might do the trick.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Buddy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:46 pm

I feed Buddy twice a week and have done for quite a while, no weight loss so far. He is very inactive though.. Once a week I feed him mixed food, once a week he gets a cricket or a dubia roach. Hoping he will start moving in his new bigger enclosure, if not I don't know what to do.. He's fatter than this one.

So, have you thought of a name yet??
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Postby Linnea » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:01 pm

well. the names ive come up with dont really stick. usually id go with names of fruits or berries i am not allergic to.

pomelo, melon, banana, grape, pumpkin, raisin.....
Litchie, northern 1.0
Vegasarah
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Vegasarah » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:59 pm

Pomelo is a cool name, I like that.

He has some light temporal streaking, that's cool. My Northern male has that too but even lighter. I guess I'm just used to seeing more caramel colored Northerns. If I had seen a picture without a description I would have thought he was a mix with something else. Those side patches are dark and he's very red colored. So cool, I'm jealous if he is a full Northern!
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Postby Linnea » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:22 am

Vegasarah wrote:Pomelo is a cool name, I like that.

He has some light temporal streaking, that's cool. My Northern male has that too but even lighter. I guess I'm just used to seeing more caramel colored Northerns. If I had seen a picture without a description I would have thought he was a mix with something else. Those side patches are dark and he's very red colored. So cool, I'm jealous if he is a full Northern!

i like it too, it will compliment his lighter colours....
and thank you :D ill see how he looks after shed and when he slims down a little!
right now hes made himself a hide under the shoebox. i think he needs a better hide :/
Litchie, northern 1.0
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:50 am

Have u got a birds eye view pic of him
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Postby Linnea » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:51 am

in the video, the last cutscene. thats the best so far.
im still not convinced hes fully northern :/

ill take a look at his stomach colour as well when hes settled well. its possible he will brumate before i get the chance though, room is 18C at night. he hasnt eaten for several days so he should be fine, although id really want to make sure hes 100% healthy before that.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:05 am

I vote Pomelo :D

Hes gorgeous! I think your family should go for an emergency trip to the optometrist, they clearly need some very powerful glasses :P
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman

Postby Bird_Brain » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:47 am

Nice northern
Brad
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:36 am

Nice skink. I'd go with Apricot, as a name. I couldn't say whether you're allergic, of course, but it suits his colour.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”