Jut a little update on Slinky!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Shortie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:53 pm
Country:
Location: Scotland

Jut a little update on Slinky!

Postby Shortie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:49 am

Nearly a year ago, I adopted Slinky, a tanimbar BTS and took him home to start a new life. His pervious owner had him for about 7 - 8 months and didn't even handle him at all. Now I admit, the hissing, the striking and the biting was very very scary at first! I had a bearded dragon before I got Slinky so this was pretty new to me. I have done tons of research before I decided it was time. Anyways, after a year of trying (and failing!!) with some techniques, on and off hand taming and patience (Slinky took a good 8 months to come out his shell!!!) I now have a blue tongue skink that is, well I hope he is, happy. I can now pet him without him trying to bite my fingers off, and he'll come up to my face at the viv without hissing and trying to take my nose off! Finally, we're making some big progress!! Note: the noise in this video is my sleeve rubbing off the viv door! Horrible noise!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXs0ic7B ... ature=plcp
Slinky the Tanimbar :)
User avatar
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
Country:
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Contact:

Re: Jut a little update on Slinky!

Postby AnnaMonroe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:54 am

Yay!!! Go Slinky! Congrats on all of your progress. Patience sure is golden ^.^
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Jut a little update on Slinky!

Postby Niels D » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:28 am

I had the same problem with one of my chimaereas. I never managed to prevent him from hissing alas. Nice work!
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
Shortie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:53 pm
Country:
Location: Scotland

Re: Jut a little update on Slinky!

Postby Shortie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:36 am

Slinky's fine with me, but if anyone else touched him, he'll be the complete opposite and try to take their face off! There have been times where he's tried to jump out the viv to bite my sisters face! But I should've kept the camera on for a little longer! My mum walked in and as soon as he heard her voice, he ran and hid under his hide! He's petrified of her! If it were anyone else he would've tried to eat them! Typical chimaereas, but he'll calm down with age I think. I kinda miss the hissyness from Slinky to be honest. I'm not used to him being quiet!!
Slinky the Tanimbar :)
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Jut a little update on Slinky!

Postby Spindown » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:56 pm

haha I love fiesty reptiles, I bet I would love a Tanny :D
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Re: Jut a little update on Slinky!

Postby Karen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:29 pm

It's great that you've had the patience to work with him! Slinky is gorgeous and hopefully will continue to get more and more comfortable with you.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
User avatar
Shortie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:53 pm
Country:
Location: Scotland

Re: Jut a little update on Slinky!

Postby Shortie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:44 pm

I want another Tanimbar! I miss his grumpyness!!!! Hahaha!

Karen, the next step will be picking him up and not have him lashing out at me or anyone else!
Slinky the Tanimbar :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 339 guests