Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
Possably,aspera has a huge range,not just color variations but size differences to,some are giant,others tiny
Rugosa rugosa has some pretty insane variation to,some very dark,all the way through to those goldfields ones,some highly banded,others not, thsre probably less photographed then aspera as well
Rugosa rugosa has some pretty insane variation to,some very dark,all the way through to those goldfields ones,some highly banded,others not, thsre probably less photographed then aspera as well
- scaredofbees
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 121
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:27 am
- Country: US
- Location: Pittsburgh
- Contact:
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
I wonder if the "Monogamish" aspect of their reproduction habits has led to these variations being preserved from locality to locality instead of them eventually ending up a blend of all attributes.
0.1 Tiliqua rugosa aspera
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
Possably,though they can vary from even the one type locality,thinking of aspera,there range is huge ,from qld down to victoria,across to sa and catches up with rugosa rugosa near sa and wa border area,thats a huge range,lots of different climates and habitats in that range
2 forms i havnt seen in years ,not sure where they were from,but i had some when younger were a green with yellow flecks form,possably south east qld and a maroone with yellow flecks form,both were quite large,the maroone ones id love to get again,they were stunning,feisty as but stunning,family friends gave us some,over 20 years ago,will have to find out what locality they were from
2 forms i havnt seen in years ,not sure where they were from,but i had some when younger were a green with yellow flecks form,possably south east qld and a maroone with yellow flecks form,both were quite large,the maroone ones id love to get again,they were stunning,feisty as but stunning,family friends gave us some,over 20 years ago,will have to find out what locality they were from
-
auristi
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 41
- Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Can
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
Are these Avaliable in Canada? My bf is absolutely in love with them!! We have our northern now, really need to find my camera cord so I can upload the pics I have and he is a doll. When we get our own place we are planning on getting some more! Squee I'm totally smitten 
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
auristi wrote:Are these Avaliable in Canada? My bf is absolutely in love with them!! We have our northern now, really need to find my camera cord so I can upload the pics I have and he is a doll. When we get our own place we are planning on getting some more! Squee I'm totally smitten
There are currently no known shinglebacks in Canada. That said, if you want to spend the $1000-$3000+ to purchase one in the USA (if you can even find one available, they rarely come available) you can get them into Canada easily.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
-
auristi
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 41
- Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Can
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
Darn. Well he's always saying I have expensive taste .. This one oughta put him straight! Lol they are beautiful though
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
Im hoping they change the laws in Tasmania next year so that we can have other Australian reptiles shipped down to us. I want a shingleback and a merauke 
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
auristi: Just think, they make an excellent substitution for an engagement ring
What better way to say "I love you" than a beautiful, one-of-a-kind, expensive lizard 
Rani-May, you know it's illegal to have meraukes in Australia, right? They're from Indonesia/Papau New Guinea. The shingleback would be a go though.
Rani-May, you know it's illegal to have meraukes in Australia, right? They're from Indonesia/Papau New Guinea. The shingleback would be a go though.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
-
auristi
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 41
- Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Can
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
Might be a strange question are you able to bring them back to Canada from Australia? I was reading that it said exporting has been baned but is that with WC or CB as well? I'm wondering not about having them shopped but physically going down (we have been discussing future vacations) and purchasing and bringing them back
Are the laws up for discussion? Or is that whistful thinking? Lol
Are the laws up for discussion? Or is that whistful thinking? Lol
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
Thus the sad face
Its illegal to have any but the blotched at the moment too. I want ALL of them lol, wasnt saying I was going to get one, sorry if it was unclear. I just wish I could have one and a shingleback. Might be able to have the Australian skinks imported next year though, im hoping.
-
auristi
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 41
- Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Can
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
Haha that was honestly the first thing that popped in my head!! Cheap engagement rig, amazing engagement lizard! I'll start a new trend!
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
Australia has banned all import and export. You cannot get an animal from Australia (legally). There are of course smugglers, but usually that amounts to torture for the animals. Thankfully most species are already being bred in captivity in the USA and around the world, so there are ways to get these species, it just takes time, effort, and cash. Interesting if Aus starts to allow exchange with Tasmania though 
Auristi, that's my trend, now you're going to beat me to it :'( I've always said if anyone buys me a worthless diamond thing I'm just going to lose anyways, they don't know me well enough to be worth marrying. Buy me a pretty lizard though I know I'm loved
Auristi, that's my trend, now you're going to beat me to it :'( I've always said if anyone buys me a worthless diamond thing I'm just going to lose anyways, they don't know me well enough to be worth marrying. Buy me a pretty lizard though I know I'm loved
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
-
auristi
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 41
- Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Can
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
Haha well it won't be happening for a long while yet! you may still beat me. I would never want a ring that expensive since I'd be to scared to wear it! However, If acting like I do so I can get a lizard instead works ..... Lol please keep me updated if you ever come across any for sale in the us!!
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
Oh, its because Tasmania is in and a state of Australia, its just an island off of the mainland. Thats why they might be allowing some species to be brought down here. Pretty sure they are going over the risks etc at the moment and should be decided in may/june
- realis88
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 309
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:03 am
- Country:
- Location: indonesia
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
woww nice
-
Spankenstyne
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 67
- Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: Calgary, Alberta
- Contact:
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
Fatal_S wrote:auristi wrote:Are these Avaliable in Canada? My bf is absolutely in love with them!! We have our northern now, really need to find my camera cord so I can upload the pics I have and he is a doll. When we get our own place we are planning on getting some more! Squee I'm totally smitten
There are currently no known shinglebacks in Canada. That said, if you want to spend the $1000-$3000+ to purchase one in the USA (if you can even find one available, they rarely come available) you can get them into Canada easily.
There are some around up here, but they are next to impossible to find as nobody ever seems to advertise. The late Tom Huff used to breed them up here in the 80's along with a few others. I know of at least one breeder out East that is working with them as a friend in Ontario is/was being gifted a baby. Apparently the breeder is a pretty private old-school type like most of this guy's friends, so I didn't bother pushing for a name.
I don't mean to sound too cryptic.I don't really have any more info than that, just to point out that there are some up here.
I used to see them in a few pet stores out west here in Alberta & BC in the late 80's but haven't seen any since, would I ever LOVE to have some now. Ernie Wagner in Seattle was producing them in the late 70's - 80's in Seattle and surely with the lax laws back then some trickled up.
It's so hot.....Milk was a bad choice
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
I had a feeling there were a few keepers kicking around, but ya, I don't know anyone for sure. I was pretty amazed that there are even a few Northern breeders in Canukida. BTS just seem to be so ignored by the herp community. Nice to hear some people are into the addiction 
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- ashnic05
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Oregon, USA
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
Both such beautiful ladies! Congrats! 
-
Spankenstyne
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 67
- Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: Calgary, Alberta
- Contact:
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
Fatal_S wrote:I had a feeling there were a few keepers kicking around, but ya, I don't know anyone for sure. I was pretty amazed that there are even a few Northern breeders in Canukida. BTS just seem to be so ignored by the herp community. Nice to hear some people are into the addiction
Yeah it's great to see a few more of us up here working with Northerns & keeping them pure. I have some Indos I'm hoping to get some captive breeding going with too but time will tell.
Shingles will have to remain on the wishlist for some time yet I'm sure lol. We can at least enjoy threads like these in the meantime.
It's so hot.....Milk was a bad choice
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita
I never get tired of Shingle faces <3's
I love the variation of browns and yellows
I love the variation of browns and yellows
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 209 guests
