sexing blue tongues

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
rlbts
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

sexing blue tongues

Postby rlbts » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:48 am

i have 3 indi skinks all of differnt ages, and would really like to sex them. i think i have 2 boys and a girl but are there any other ways other than size and looksthat will help me??
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Re: sexing blue tongues

Postby LarissaLurid » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:16 pm

Well you'll know for sure if one is a boy if you see hemipenes or sperm plugs.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:28 pm

And u see which if any drop plugs if housrd together

Some are tricky to sex,are u planning on breeding? If so putting them together after cycling can often tell you there sexes,if thetry to mate that is

Have u got a birds eye view pic of them
pisces20
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby pisces20 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi All,
I wrote a comprehensive article in scales and tails magazine but on Tiliqua scincoides only. Growth rates from birth were the main focus. Recently I also mentioned that the males are the first to shed shortly after coming out uf brumation. Also will eat within days whereas females wont eat until very much into pregnancy. e.g one females out of this seasons breeding came out of brumation 28 th July, mated 14 August, fed 2nd October and shed 4th October. The male she mated out of brumation 2nd July, shed 5th, fed 8th July mated 14th . Dont know if this is for the entire Tiliqua genus, I would expect similar.Always look for behavioural signs, males roaming a lot. Hope this helps.
rlbts
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rlbts » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:02 am

one of mine has no tail so not planning to breed it but im sure i have one female and a male which yes i am planning on breeding next season, the one that looks female is alot brorder in the body with a small head (very aggressive) and the male is more slender with a larger head. i have spoken to people from zoos and they agree with my logic. filling them up now ready to cool them in november so will see soon
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:10 am

They can still mate,have babies ect with no tail,just saying
rlbts
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rlbts » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:17 am

i know but she wasn't brought for breeding just cos it has the biggest personality. im breeding my sand fish and Berbers and legless so have enough to breed this year plus the tailless is still very young

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”