What other options are left for Glenn? (medical)

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Rainycat
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:54 am
Country:
Location: United states

Re: What other options are left for Glenn? (medical)

Postby Rainycat » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:06 pm

Rush wrote:Culture and sensitivity test tomorrow morning. Can't wait for my girl Glenn to get back on track and be a happy skink again.



cultures can take up to a wk or more... I'm sure they told you, My culture on Mr Skinks mouth came back positive (after a wk of waiting,,, was done on a sat) for aerobic bacteria still waiting on the fungus, not treating him yet and his eating has gone out the window, don't know if it is mouth rot or infection from me pulling out a splinter of substrate, is very stressing for me so I can't imagine how you feel! hopefully the culture results will bring the right meds to get your girl healthy, sending many positive thoughts your way and hoping Glenn is feeling better very soon!
User avatar
Rush
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 3:24 pm
Country:
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What other options are left for Glenn? (medical)

Postby Rush » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:50 am

Karen, thank you so much for your kind support. I'm sorry to hear about your skink having problems too. It sounds like you are on the right track with the right treatments to come very soon. There are products out there that you could use to hydrate and nourish your skink. It comes in powder form and all you do is add water and feed via syringe. It's about 10 bucks and petco has it in stock where I live. Could possibly help while you're waiting for all the results to come back in. Good luck :)

Unfortunately my vet was unable to get a sample of discharge yesterday. Her nostrils close up fast but weren't giving up any useable discharge for the sample. She was on Bayril so that probably had something to do with it. She's now off it and the vet sent me home with the swab to retrieve something useful. I'm going to try to get it when I get off work. This process is very frustrating. I hope the sample I get is a good one.
1.0.0 Merauke BTS, Rush-2009

-Brett-
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: What other options are left for Glenn? (medical)

Postby El Lobo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:26 pm

I thought after I suggested a C&S the vet might have a problem obtaining enough sample material to culture as the BTS nasal passage is very fine and infections tend to be more concentrated in the upper regions around the sinuses. Overall the delay in obtaining a sample may be of more benefit as the body should have excreted most of the abx.

It must be frustrating but it will be worth it in the long run if a solution is found.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Rush
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 3:24 pm
Country:
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What other options are left for Glenn? (medical)

Postby Rush » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:49 pm

El lobo- I did end up taking the sample myself at home. It was difficult and I'm not sure if it was a good one. Everyday I soak her and the warm water does in a small way reopen her sinus cavities. But it's still almost impossible to get any discharge what so ever. When she sneezes nothing ever really comes out. The sample was dropped off on Friday so I'm sure I have all the way through next week to wait.

She is eating and drinking well. Before work and before bed time I always make sure her nose is clear to the best of my abality.

Question, in between her weekly cage clean and disenfectment, I notice there are some sneez marks on her glass cage walls. If this culture is a dud, do you think I can sample again by collecting what is left behind on her glass walls...if they are no more old than a days time? I really think that would be my best shot.
1.0.0 Merauke BTS, Rush-2009

-Brett-
User avatar
Rush
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 3:24 pm
Country:
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What other options are left for Glenn? (medical)

Postby Rush » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:23 pm

The sample produced zero bacteria growth therefore the culture sample I provided was useless

Going test some more options with other drugs like eye and nose drops and injections recommended by my vet.

Also going to keep a lab swab on hand for one I catch her with a big sneeze producing a more substantial amount of discharge.

Still eating and drinking well. Right eye still funky with slight Adema and clogged nostrils remain an issue. She also continues to have irregular labored breathing. I'm doing my best. She means so much to me.
1.0.0 Merauke BTS, Rush-2009

-Brett-
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8335
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Country:
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Re: What other options are left for Glenn? (medical)

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:41 pm

You're awesome :hug: Way to be an amazing example of a great skink parent!
Melanie J. Pratt
www.MelsExotics.ca
Currently living at Mel's Exotics:
BTS: Northerns, Caramel Northerns, Meraukes, Irian Jayas, Silver Tanimbars, Yellow Tanimbars
AFTs: Wild-Type, Striped, Amelanistic, Caramel Albino, Patternless, White Out
California Kingsnake
Dumeril Boa
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: What other options are left for Glenn? (medical)

Postby El Lobo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi Rush - How are things going with Glenn, any improvement yet?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Rush
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 3:24 pm
Country:
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What other options are left for Glenn? (medical)

Postby Rush » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:19 am

Glenn is scheduled to be euthanized tomorrow October 6th at 445pm.

I'm out of options for the poor girl. She's suffering and ive tried everything. Her symtoms are worse now.

Day by day I've been waiting to make the decision and it is time. Ive never made a decision like this before and im pretty emotionally attached to my skinks.

From antibiotic to antibiotic to eye ointments to eye ointments to tests and shots...and nothing.

She is suffering. Her eye, breathing and nose is getting to that point...

This is really hard for me. I have this beautiful little skink and I cant do anything to fix her. I've tried and tried everything.There is no cure after everything ive done according to "three" very smart" vets I've visited many times throughout 2011-to present. Her husbandry and living is 100 percent but that could not keep her healthy. I cant help but feel its my fault and and that ive failed as a keeper. But my soul knows that she has lived a happy life with me...always given attention and care.
1.0.0 Merauke BTS, Rush-2009

-Brett-
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: What other options are left for Glenn? (medical)

Postby Lea » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:45 am

Oh, I'm very sorry to hear this. But you know it's the right decision- its hard to come to this point, but when you have been thinking this for a while it's usually the best of limited choices. When I had Estrella so sick for most of her life, many times I thought I should give up, but she made the decision for me in the end, dying in her sleep. It's a good decision, no matter how painful and it's important not to feel guilty for letting go. You gave Glenn so much and tried so hard, you gave a gift of life back to her with each recovery. They are tough, but often there will still be a time when their fragile bodies just can't take any more abuse from battling a disease or illness. You will save Glenn the pain of going through any more days of trying to fight and having it deplete her more of any energy she had left.

Well done, you are doing the very best for her.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: What other options are left for Glenn? (medical)

Postby El Lobo » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:28 am

I am so sorry to read this.

You have done everything possible to help Glenn but there are times when regardless of what we do we don't get the response we so desperately seek. I can see nothing in the way she had been treated whilst in your care to suggest anything other than exemplary keeping and rather than having failed her in any way you should take pride in your devotion to her.

Until people are confronted with the decision whether or not to euthanise they truly don't understand the process needed. It is a decision that should never be made lightly and yet it can be a decision that should not be subjected to unnecessary procrastination. Inevitably afterwards, there is the question of whether it was hasty, made without due consideration, that perhaps another couple of days would have seen a turn around; yet deep down we do know it was right. We have to care enough for those in our charge to end their suffering although that act in itself will cause us personal pain. A vet once gave me a good perspective when she told me that it is far better to go one day too soon than one day too late.

May Glenn's passing be peaceful.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8335
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Country:
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Re: What other options are left for Glenn? (medical)

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:59 am

:hug:

You're amazing. You did so much for her, and most importantly she was very loved :) May she rest peacefully now.
Melanie J. Pratt
www.MelsExotics.ca
Currently living at Mel's Exotics:
BTS: Northerns, Caramel Northerns, Meraukes, Irian Jayas, Silver Tanimbars, Yellow Tanimbars
AFTs: Wild-Type, Striped, Amelanistic, Caramel Albino, Patternless, White Out
California Kingsnake
Dumeril Boa
User avatar
Rush
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 3:24 pm
Country:
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What other options are left for Glenn? (medical)

Postby Rush » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:01 pm

Thank you all for the time and energy you've spent trying to help me. I can't even express how much much you all have hepled Glenn through the process, and me through one of the hardest decisions I have ever made. You guys and gals all mean alot to me. Thank you.

Brett
1.0.0 Merauke BTS, Rush-2009

-Brett-
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country:
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: What other options are left for Glenn? (medical)

Postby Karen » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:11 pm

I can't imagine how hard it must be, but I do think you're making the right decision. You've done so much for her, but it sounds like giving her a peaceful rest is the only option now. At least she was loved and taken care of, and please don't ever think it's your fault or failure. You did everything you could for Glenn.

:hug:
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: What other options are left for Glenn? (medical)

Postby Bluish » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm

That's really sad to hear Brett.
You did all you could and it must be heartbreaking but it sounds like you made the right choice.
Take care,
Dom
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4011
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Sue Bee
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: What other options are left for Glenn? (medical)

Postby Susann » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:08 am

I have been where you are and know what you are going through. I wish you peace of mind.
All my love to you.
1.0 Merauke
Bred Meraukes for years, now I get to just enjoy my BIG boy Milo!
Sue Bee on FB.

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest