Impaction?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Impaction?

Postby donkeybuff » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:08 pm

I think Coffee might have impaction. He ate last weekend, and never pooped. He also stopped eating. I checked his temps throughout the week and they were in the high 90s. Today, I gave him a warm bath, and when I took him out, he looked like he was going to poop, but he just dropped plugs and a tiny shriveled urate. I took a picture; I'll post it. I thought tiny urates meant dehydration, but he always has access to water, and he didn't drink any of the bath water. :noknow:
Edit: Also, how long should I keep him in the bath? He hates having even his feet in water, so I only put him in for about 3 or 4 minutes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: Impaction?

Postby donkeybuff » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:16 pm

I tried to feed him dog food, but he just licked it. He followed the spoon with dog food in it around the tank, but when I put it in his food bowl, he just licked it and walked away. What should I do?
Edit: I fed him Zoo Med Can of Snails, but he only ate 2 snails.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Impaction?

Postby Kurt » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:07 pm

what kind of substrate do you use?
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Impaction?

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:24 pm

If he's still eating he's probably not impacted. Offer some eggs and/or banana. Those tend to get the goods going :)
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: Impaction?

Postby donkeybuff » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:28 pm

I use cypress mulch. I'm not sure if he'll eat, because this is the first time he's eaten anything in a week, and the only fruit he likes is apple. I tried egg once; he didn't eat it.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: Impaction?

Postby donkeybuff » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:42 pm

Also, does the urate mean anything?
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 171 guests