Pictures of Kiah eating a snail

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
justyna.ewa
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Pictures of Kiah eating a snail

Postby justyna.ewa » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:24 am

Why not? Is there something wrong with mealworms? I'm going to a pet center today with my snail container all ready c:
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Rani-May » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:44 am

meal worms are just difficult for them to digest,especially younger blue tongues. so I just stay away from them altogether now. warning from a herp vet.
justyna.ewa
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby justyna.ewa » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:51 am

Great tip, thanks. Off to the pet store, catch you later :)
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Rani-May » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:09 am

Have fun :D
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby LarissaLurid » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:40 pm

justyna.ewa wrote:I'm honestly really not in the mood to bring cockroaches into my house. But I will watch the youtube video sceptically and see how I feel afterward...

If they are in a container with a lid they will be fine, they can't climb. I've never had one escape, but I've had crickets escape various ways. They don't smell, I have hundreds since months ago, but if you have like 40 crickets they smell after a week. Plus they jump everywhere and make noise and aren't as healthy. They really are a very good option when it comes to ease of care, how healthful they are, and you'll never have to pay for feeder insects again if you have a colony.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby LarissaLurid » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:41 pm

justyna.ewa wrote:Why not? Is there something wrong with mealworms? I'm going to a pet center today with my snail container all ready c:

As someone else said they are hard to digest, my bluey has had some in the past and they always went undigested coming out whole when he went to the bathroom. They aren't as healthy as crickets either, which are also not as healthy as roaches so they offer a lot less nutrition than other options. The only pet I feed meal worms to is my Emperor Scorpion sometime, none of my lizards eat them.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”