First visit with Hobbes! (Pics added!)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Sarikazam
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

First visit with Hobbes! (Pics added!)

Postby Sarikazam » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:33 pm

I had Hobbes (Previously Etsy from Fatal_S) my baby Northern out for the first time today! Exactly one week since I got her. SHE IS SO FRIGGIN' CUTE. Aside from some really big huffs whenever I would try to pick her up she was exceptionally chill. But I quickly discovered if I let her walk into my hand on her own instead and don't make sudden movements or surprise her, she doesn't huff at all! Also, compared to older Merauke Bruce, she feels incredibly soft! Must be those tiny baby scales.

She had been hiding since the day she got here last week, so I know she hadn't eaten anything since that day (I had been offering her food every other day but she hasn't been coming out of hiding). But she stuffed away quite a bit today! And then she pooped on me. Which wasn't surprising, it looked like she was working on a poop for two minutes! Other than that I just sat on the floor and let her crawl around and walk across my hands, she is so relaxed yet bold (Outside of her terrarium anyway)! When I put her back in her terrarium she dozed off under her heat lamp for a while before going back to hiding. I hope she starts coming out more often now!

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures. When I finally decided to wanted to bring her out I got too wound up and forgot about it.... But I wanted to share my little happy moment anyway. :P
(Pictures next time, I promise!!)

EDIT: Pictures added. Just scroll down, I was too lazy to move them up here after I already posted them.
Last edited by Sarikazam on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: First visit with Hobbes!

Postby Fatal_S » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:18 pm

:woo: Where's the like button???
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: First visit with Hobbes!

Postby Richard.C » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:41 am

Very nice,a great example of not chasin em around the cage and letting them settle first

If u do pick them up,best to grab first go,once in hand they oftrn relax fast

Sounds like your lil ones settling well
User avatar
Sarikazam
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: First visit with Hobbes!

Postby Sarikazam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:45 am

Heheh, thanks!
And yes! As soon as she is in your hand and out of the terrarium she is totally relaxed and content to just crawl around as a leisurely pace. I think she is a great example of how awesome Mel's babies are! :D
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
User avatar
BruinsEv
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 pm
Country:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: First visit with Hobbes!

Postby BruinsEv » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Sarikazam wrote:I had Hobbes (Previously Etsy from Fatal_S) my baby Northern out for the first time today! Exactly one week since I got her. SHE IS SO FRIGGIN' CUTE. Aside from some really big huffs whenever I would try to pick her up she was exceptionally chill. But I quickly discovered if I let her walk into my hand on her own instead and don't make sudden movements or surprise her, she doesn't huff at all! Also, compared to older Merauke Bruce, she feels incredibly soft! Must be those tiny baby scales.

She had been hiding since the day she got here last week, so I know she hadn't eaten anything since that day (I had been offering her food every other day but she hasn't been coming out of hiding). But she stuffed away quite a bit today! And then she pooped on me. Which wasn't surprising, it looked like she was working on a poop for two minutes! Other than that I just sat on the floor and let her crawl around and walk across my hands, she is so relaxed yet bold (Outside of her terrarium anyway)! When I put her back in her terrarium she dozed off under her heat lamp for a while before going back to hiding. I hope she starts coming out more often now!

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures. When I finally decided to wanted to bring her out I got too wound up and forgot about it.... But I wanted to share my little happy moment anyway. :P
(Pictures next time, I promise!!)


I'm pumped for you, that's awesome!! I'm not there yet, but I feel like Emma might need a different type of treatment in terms of warming up. I tried to pick her up today, but she snaps at me! :(
User avatar
Sarikazam
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: First visit with Hobbes!

Postby Sarikazam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:42 pm

BruinsEv wrote:I'm pumped for you, that's awesome!! I'm not there yet, but I feel like Emma might need a different type of treatment in terms of warming up. I tried to pick her up today, but she snaps at me! :(


Aww, but yeah I think they each need a different approach. But even with Hobbes when I initially went to pick her up she was verrrry huffy. If I gave her enough time to think about it she might have considered snapping too. But I don't know what it is best when it comes with how to handle Emma. It might be best to take it slow.

I don't know if this helped with Hobbes or not, but I have Hobbes's terrarium set up in my room and I make sure to chat away to her whenever I am around. At least she can get used to my voice that way.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
User avatar
BruinsEv
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 pm
Country:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: First visit with Hobbes!

Postby BruinsEv » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Sarikazam wrote:
BruinsEv wrote:I'm pumped for you, that's awesome!! I'm not there yet, but I feel like Emma might need a different type of treatment in terms of warming up. I tried to pick her up today, but she snaps at me! :(


Aww, but yeah I think they each need a different approach. But even with Hobbes when I initially went to pick her up she was verrrry huffy. If I gave her enough time to think about it she might have considered snapping too. But I don't know what it is best when it comes with how to handle Emma. It might be best to take it slow.

I don't know if this helped with Hobbes or not, but I have Hobbes's terrarium set up in my room and I make sure to chat away to her whenever I am around. At least she can get used to my voice that way.


Yeah I just need to be patient i guess. I have her in my computer room where I spend 95% of my time at home anyways.


I got rid of some of the substrate in there today. I had it like 6 inches deep, which I think encouraged her to stay buried. If I FORCE her to hang out with me she has to love me! She still has a couple inches to fully submerge, just not enough to build tunnels haha. It has actually made her walk around for the past 2 hours. She is starting to be more calm right now as well! BABY STEPS!
User avatar
Sarikazam
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: First visit with Hobbes!

Postby Sarikazam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:58 pm

BruinsEv wrote:
Yeah I just need to be patient i guess. I have her in my computer room where I spend 95% of my time at home anyways.


I got rid of some of the substrate in there today. I had it like 6 inches deep, which I think encouraged her to stay buried. If I FORCE her to hang out with me she has to love me! She still has a couple inches to fully submerge, just not enough to build tunnels haha. It has actually made her walk around for the past 2 hours. She is starting to be more calm right now as well! BABY STEPS!


I actually just did the same thing with Bruce, but that is just because I realised 6 inches was way too much and it was getting messy whenever I took him out.
But that is great that Emma is starting to calm down! Just an observation, but I think it is not very uncommon for skinks to get upset when you are trying to pick them up. But most of them seem to get over it when they are out of the terrarium. I am not sure if my advice would be best in your situation, but just actually picking her up even if she is unhappy about it might not be a bad thing. If she learns that huffing and snapping will stop the scary hand monster from coming too close then it would make sense that she would keep doing it.
Like I said, I don't know what would be best in Emma's case but it is just something to think about.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
User avatar
BruinsEv
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 pm
Country:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: First visit with Hobbes!

Postby BruinsEv » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:04 pm

Sarikazam wrote:
BruinsEv wrote:
Yeah I just need to be patient i guess. I have her in my computer room where I spend 95% of my time at home anyways.


I got rid of some of the substrate in there today. I had it like 6 inches deep, which I think encouraged her to stay buried. If I FORCE her to hang out with me she has to love me! She still has a couple inches to fully submerge, just not enough to build tunnels haha. It has actually made her walk around for the past 2 hours. She is starting to be more calm right now as well! BABY STEPS!


I actually just did the same thing with Bruce, but that is just because I realised 6 inches was way too much and it was getting messy whenever I took him out.
But that is great that Emma is starting to calm down! Just an observation, but I think it is not very uncommon for skinks to get upset when you are trying to pick them up. But most of them seem to get over it when they are out of the terrarium. I am not sure if my advice would be best in your situation, but just actually picking her up even if she is unhappy about it might not be a bad thing. If she learns that huffing and snapping will stop the scary hand monster from coming too close then it would make sense that she would keep doing it.
Like I said, I don't know what would be best in Emma's case but it is just something to think about.


That actually makes a lot of sense. I need her to realize that huffing doesn't actually do anything ! hahaha, thanks for the tips and the boost of confidence :)
User avatar
Sarikazam
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: First visit with Hobbes!

Postby Sarikazam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:29 pm

BruinsEv wrote:
That actually makes a lot of sense. I need her to realize that huffing doesn't actually do anything ! hahaha, thanks for the tips and the boost of confidence :)

Glad to be of assistance! Tell me how it goes when you give it a try!
And if you can manage to get a few pictures too... ;)
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: First visit with Hobbes!

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:21 pm

I love when you two chat. I'm trying not to butt in too much, since all newbies need to learn kindof on their own. I will say that no reptile likes having a hand just waving around them. It's good to show them you're coming, yes, but then either just pick them up (they calm down quickly once they notice you're not eating them) or place it flat on the ground and wait to see if they become curious. I personally just pick them up, but different approaches work for different people/skinks. Relish the learning phase, soon it'll all be second hat :)

And more pictures! Y'know, when you get the chance.
User avatar
Sarikazam
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: First visit with Hobbes!

Postby Sarikazam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:01 pm

Oh nonsense! Feel free to butt in all you want Fatal! I enjoy the extra tips! But I agree with what you said. I try to delicately excavate Hobbes out then give her about 10 seconds to check me out before I go in for a clean grab.

Speaking of which, I brought her out again! :) She was a bit more huffy at first, but she was pretty good again as we both settled down. She even let me pull a short hair out of her mouth and give her chin a few rubs (She even started closing her eyes!). Then she tried tasting my finger, but I pulled it away then thought "Meh, may as well let her figure out it isn't food.". Their bites don't hurt. :shock: I mean I know it was just a taste bite, but it wasn't bad at all!

And I got a few pictures this time!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
User avatar
Sarikazam
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: First visit with Hobbes! (Pics added!)

Postby Sarikazam » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Oh, I had Hobbes out again today! And I just wanted to say... these guys make such great therapy animals! I was in a proper mood earlier due to a few reasons, so I went into my room and sat down on the floor with Hobbes and watched an episode of ATLA on my 3DS. As soon as I came out of my room my mom observed I was in a better mood. :P

Hobbes was great little girl again today. A bit less huffing, and she let me rub a few loose scales off of her. Then she ate quite a bit, pooped in front of me, and then insisted on staying on my forearm. She didn't sleep, but she kept coming back there. So I am pretty tranquil right now.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 219 guests