Java's Vet appointment

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Geo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:36 pm
Country:
Location: Eugene, Oregon USA
Contact:

Java's Vet appointment

Postby Geo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:34 pm

We just got back from Java's vet appointment. The vet didn't see a lot of drainage from java's eye & mouth & recommend we give him 2 warm soaks 2x a day for 20minutes then on Friday if we see any drainage to give him baytril shots in his upper arms 1x a day for 5 days & to continue the soaks for the duration.
We're a little worried about giving the shots & will try it once. If we have trouble will go back to the vet who will do it for free since we bought the meds.
This whole ordeal has been overwhelming & costly but we have learned a lot. With this new knowledge we hope Java will have a happy healthy life ahead of him.
I had a friend tell me we were crazy for taking him to the vet, that spending $100+ on a reptile is stupid & waste of money bcos it will most likely die anyway.
I was hurt & told him that when we got the BTS we took on the responsibility for his care & we need to do everything in our power to help him thrive. I understand some people don't see reptiles as pets. I could even say I never thought I would be emotionally attached to a reptile but I am.

Anyone have any advice on giving the shots?
Vet recommend we use astroturf for substrate...anyone know if this is a good idea?

Many Smiles, Geo
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Java's Vet appointment

Postby Fatal_S » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:39 pm

With the medication, Java has a great chance to make a full recovery and live a long, happy life with you. Baytril is great against RIs, and skinks are quite hardy. The cost now is nothing compared to knowing you were a great person who did the right thing :)

Astroturf is alright, as long as the toes can't get caught in the fibers (same with carpet). It's not the best looking, and it doesn't absorb waste at all. If you use it, have extra pieces so you can take the soiled one to be washed and replace it with an already-clean one. I prefer burrow-able substrates when I can, and paper towel/newspaper when I need a sterile floor (illness and birthing). I wouldn't mind astroturf for the sick/preggo ones though.
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Re: Java's Vet appointment

Postby Karen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:45 pm

I've had to give my BTS shots when she came to me with pneumonia. It isn't fun and I recommend a helper to lend you a hand in keeping the BTS as still as possible. At least your vet will give you a hand if you feel uncomfortable with it. It was mentioned to me by another member of this site that sometimes there are problems with injected Baytril causing problems at the injection site if it isn't diluted enough, so you might want to ask your vet about it.

Her vet bills were also very expensive since she had the meds, x-rays and other tests, and I had plenty of people call me crazy. You absolutely did the right thing by getting Java whatever care he needed.

I'm currently using Astroturf in my baby's tank and have used it before for my adult BTS and like it. Being able to swap out pieces and machine wash them are handy. I had to switch my Merauke to cypress mulch recently to keep the humidity up for her, but I do like the turf. Just have to be sure to have enough hides and rough things to help shed.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Java's Vet appointment

Postby Bird_Brain » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:50 pm

My cat got an issue commonly called "Plug Tom" where his urine crystallizes and will plug up. He has to be on a prescription diet the rest of his life that costs me $32 for an 8# bag. Everyone I talked to thought I was crazy and shouldnt spend that much on food for "just a cat". They all recommended euthanasia. So you are not the only one who runs into people like that! Thankfully thats what is great about forums and online communities. You are able to find more people who can better understand your decisions and can relate in so many different levels.

I think everyone else has it all covered for now, but just thought I would let you know that you are not alone. Most on this forum are "Weirdos" for taking care of their animals medical needs ;)
Brad
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Java's Vet appointment

Postby Spindown » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:28 pm

wow, euthanasia for a cat with that issue? wow, some people are crazy!

OP, I personally use newspaper for QT critters/sick critters. Its cheap/free, easy to clean, and usually easy to obtain.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: Java's Vet appointment

Postby El Lobo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:30 pm

It is a good practice to switch around the injection sites with Baytril to avoid the possibility of 'Baytril Burn'. Also, with the concurrence of the vet, it can be mixed with sterile saline to reduce the chance of burn.

It is recommended to keep the BTS as close to preferred body temperature 24/7 during the course of abx. That may mean increasing the temperature of the enclosure's cool end to maintain around 32-33°C for the period but still maintaining normal basking temperatures at the warm end.

For shedding issues I have found applying Emu Oil to be beneficial and letting the skink bask for a couple of hours before soaking to remove, then another application of the oil after soaking/removal.

The simplest way to avoid the comments of others about spending money with the vets is to not tell them. :wink:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Geo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:36 pm
Country:
Location: Eugene, Oregon USA
Contact:

Re: Java's Vet appointment

Postby Geo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks for all the info.
@ reptileking we also give our cats CD diet by science diet for UTI issues.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Java's Vet appointment

Postby Richard.C » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:46 pm

canr u give baytril orally,saves injections,thats how i gave it to the westerns and baby stumpies a few years ago
Rachael t
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:36 am
Country:
Location: QLD, Australia

Re: Java's Vet appointment

Postby Rachael t » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:57 am

Lizzie always takes her Batryl orally. If you're uncomfortable with giving the need els find out if that is a possibility for Java. And paying for our pets.... Wow have I spent some time and money on Lizzie, a rescue skink I got for free! Everyone thought it was hilarious that Lizzie was even taking medication!
Rachael, Lizzie and Tripod

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 278 guests