shingleback x-rays

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
scaredofbees
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:27 am
Country: US
Location: Pittsburgh
Contact:

shingleback x-rays

Postby scaredofbees » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:57 am

Well, I now have a fairly definitive answer regarding my female shingleback's possible gravidity.

I apologize for the poor quality of the photos. The x-rays were held against a basement window and photographed with an iPhone.

top view

Image

and a side view:

Image

This is what I heard in my head when I looked at these: http://www.sadtrombone.com/?play=true

No worries, though. My skinks appear to be in good health and I'm going to try a few different things next year. Working from home now will also allow me to monitor temperature and lighting as well as their behavior a bit better.

Two years ago at this time, I would have taken hostages in my underwear on national TV for a single shingleback. I am now fortunate enough to have a small breeding group of healthy, supposedly proven animals... the most important ingredient in breeding.
0.1 Tiliqua rugosa aspera
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby Linnea » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:12 am

that is, if the baby had any proper calcium developed o.o though i guess it should have.....

sad, but a shingle x ray image for the forum is always super :D ive been looking at them for 30 mins now...
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby Karen » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:47 am

I love how you can see the osteoderms. Hopefully you have better luck next year without any sad trombone. :thumbs:
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
User avatar
jasjmm27
Live Bearing Lizards
Live Bearing Lizards
Posts: 1647
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:11 pm
Country:
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby jasjmm27 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:30 am

Awesome, I love how well the "shingles" on the shingles show up! :) Amazing how dense those rugose scales are!
User avatar
Emz3
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Colorado, US

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby Emz3 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:15 am

Excellent to see the x-rays! Sorry she's running on empty this year! ...but the x-rays are beautiful!
User avatar
Bowdoin55
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:23 pm
Country:
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby Bowdoin55 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm sorry to hear that your girl isn't gravid this season, but I am absolutely fascinated by these images nonetheless! Like everyone here, I'm grateful for your willingness to share them and to keep us up-to-date on your breeding project.

scaredofbees wrote:Two years ago at this time, I would have taken hostages in my underwear on national TV for a single shingleback. I am now fortunate enough to have a small breeding group of healthy, supposedly proven animals... the most important ingredient in breeding.


You show great perspective! I am currently in the "hostage-taking" stage myself, and profoundly jealous that you have shingles, gravid or otherwise.

Cheers, and best of luck with next season. I'd love to hear more about your plans to alter their temperament/lighting regimes.

David
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby Jeff » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:34 pm

Great pictures! Sorry to not see babies, but I'm sure you will get some before too long. I'm pretty sure my girl took the year off too. Hopefully at this time next year will will both be posting baby pictures. :D
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby Lea » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:07 pm

They are great X-rays! It's good to see the shadow of the heart so clearly in the second picture. It's so high up in skinks, compared too the position in a person, for example.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby Richard.C » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:13 pm

the weight loss could have been slugs,another year to harmonise,its worth the wait if they do drop,hopefully mine do something this season,thanks for sharing
User avatar
scaredofbees
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:27 am
Country: US
Location: Pittsburgh
Contact:

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby scaredofbees » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:12 am

A member of this forum emailed me with some interesting info. Seems as though he did a similar thing, got his skink x-rayed and nothing showed up. A week later she had 2 babies. I'm not necessarily holding out hope, but it's interesting to note that apparently the calcification of their bones is quite poor or happens much later than I suspected.
0.1 Tiliqua rugosa aspera
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby Linnea » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:42 am

i wrote that too :D

it takes a while for the bones to.....become bone.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Bowdoin55
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:23 pm
Country:
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby Bowdoin55 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Interesting...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you then, just in case. Thanks for sharing that information, too, scaredofbees; North American shingleback keepers seem to be a fairly secretive subset of the hobby, so I am eager to gobble up any information on breeding trials, second-hand or otherwise.

Good luck,

David
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby LarissaLurid » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:02 pm

Very interesting, I love x-rays. Thanks for sharing :]
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby Richard.C » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:39 am

they are born soft boned,so that member could be right,come to think of it,i thought x ray isnt always reliable in picking up babies,but have seen examples where some juvies were detectable,so who knows
User avatar
BruinsEv
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 pm
Country:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby BruinsEv » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:12 am

Let's hope that's the case! Good luck!
User avatar
scaredofbees
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:27 am
Country: US
Location: Pittsburgh
Contact:

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby scaredofbees » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:20 am

You're right, Linnea you did. I just didn't think it took so long for the bones to calcify. I know for dogs and cats, you can see them in an x-ray about a month before they're born. Based on when I think copulation took place and gestation for shinglebacks, I'd placed her due date sometime around now, or possibly a few weeks from now.

There is a great image of an x-ray of a gravid female on the other forum and you can actually see the baby inside.. mostly just it's skull and spine. This x-ray, however, was taken after she'd already delivered two offspring, so they must not be able to show up until they're just about done cooking.

Who knows though, really. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if she just laid a Cadbury Egg.
0.1 Tiliqua rugosa aspera
User avatar
anchietae
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:37 pm
Country:
Location: Western Washington, USA
Contact:

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby anchietae » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:59 pm

scaredofbees wrote: At this point I wouldn't be surprised if she just laid a Cadbury Egg.


:hehe: I'm laughing because I'm afraid I'm in the same situation. :(
User avatar
Bowdoin55
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:23 pm
Country:
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby Bowdoin55 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:51 pm

I can think of a number of less delicious contingencies!
User avatar
anchietae
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:37 pm
Country:
Location: Western Washington, USA
Contact:

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby anchietae » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Bowdoin55 wrote:I can think of a number of less delicious contingencies!


:lol:
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: shingleback x-rays

Postby Richard.C » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:43 am

dont give up hope just yet guys,well until that cadbury eggs produced,lol

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 369 guests