Top Baby Tips!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Keblin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 12:43 am
Country:
Location: SE England

Top Baby Tips!

Postby Keblin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:56 am

Hey everyone! I plan on getting an CB Indonesian blue tongue skink in the next year and have just a few questions!

1. What are your personal top tips for baby blue tongues?

2. Is it okay to use aspen bedding with babies? (sorry if that sounds like a silly question, I just wanted to make sure!)

Before anyone suggests it, I have already read the wonderful caresheet! I am looking for further input! :D
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Top Baby Tips!

Postby Linnea » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:28 pm

Note that I have not owned a baby bluey, I bought a semi adult northern.

A baby reptile is little different from an adult, when it comes to blues, but of course some things are different too.

a baby bts needs meals more often than an adult, with a little more protein base. some feed their adult blueys exclusively dog food with no health concerns, but if you feed veggie/dog food mix then make sure theres more meat than veggie when mixing. the protein base is for growing, they use a lot of it (together with the vitamins, fats, minerals and all other base nutrients)

note that babies wont eat as large amounts as an adult since they have tiiiny stomachs, so dont worry if it seems like its only nibbling at it. your bluey will grow quick :D

dont forget the calcium powder, with D3 or without, depending on f you have uvb light or not. it is recommended to use D3 supplement instead of uvb lamps, but it is up to you and both work. you bluey will use this supplement to let its skeleton grow healthy :)

know that babies can be jumpier ( they get more easily scared, and display their tongue more often), but you will want to start taming too so your baby is used to you. wait for the others to give you more tips, but basically you will let the baby be alone (apart from food and water of course) in its new environment for a week, then start getting it used to you :)

they shed often while growing, so make sure toes and tailtip are okay after a few days of shedding. let them work at the shed themselves as much as possible.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Top Baby Tips!

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:55 pm

My first question would be where are you getting a CB Indo from? They basically don't exist. Indo's haven't really been bred in captivity much, so anyone saying it's CB is probably lying through their teeth, or they mean the mother was captured wild while pregnant and gave birth in captivity (poor mom, but the babies are usually nice). Hmm, I notice you're in England, maybe there's a breeder there, I don't know much about the overseas market, just North America.

My top tip would be not to skimp on the calcium + D3. When I have babies most of the meals are proteins at first, then with veggies mixed in. The veggies have to be cut up super small (at least compared to adult food). With newborns I feed daily, at a month or so old I switch to every second day. By 6 months I'm only feeding 2x a week at most. They can eat meals about the size of their heads, so it's really not much to start with.

You can use aspen for sure. Be sure to watch for shed issues and don't let the skink eat food on the aspen (use a large plate or something to keep the food away from the substrate).
User avatar
Keblin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 12:43 am
Country:
Location: SE England

Re: Top Baby Tips!

Postby Keblin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:54 pm

Linnea wrote:Note that I have not owned a baby bluey, I bought a semi adult northern.

A baby reptile is little different from an adult, when it comes to blues, but of course some things are different too.

a baby bts needs meals more often than an adult, with a little more protein base. some feed their adult blueys exclusively dog food with no health concerns, but if you feed veggie/dog food mix then make sure theres more meat than veggie when mixing. the protein base is for growing, they use a lot of it (together with the vitamins, fats, minerals and all other base nutrients)

note that babies wont eat as large amounts as an adult since they have tiiiny stomachs, so dont worry if it seems like its only nibbling at it. your bluey will grow quick :D

dont forget the calcium powder, with D3 or without, depending on f you have uvb light or not. it is recommended to use D3 supplement instead of uvb lamps, but it is up to you and both work. you bluey will use this supplement to let its skeleton grow healthy :)

know that babies can be jumpier ( they get more easily scared, and display their tongue more often), but you will want to start taming too so your baby is used to you. wait for the others to give you more tips, but basically you will let the baby be alone (apart from food and water of course) in its new environment for a week, then start getting it used to you :)

they shed often while growing, so make sure toes and tailtip are okay after a few days of shedding. let them work at the shed themselves as much as possible.


Thankyou for the reply! ^^ I'll keep that inmind about keeping the protein high! I have a UVB tube installed but I was also planning to use Repashy Calcium Plus of the live food as well!

And thanks! I didnt even consider the fact they shed more often! I will remember to check their tails and toes! ^^

Fatal_S wrote:My first question would be where are you getting a CB Indo from? They basically don't exist. Indo's haven't really been bred in captivity much, so anyone saying it's CB is probably lying through their teeth, or they mean the mother was captured wild while pregnant and gave birth in captivity (poor mom, but the babies are usually nice). Hmm, I notice you're in England, maybe there's a breeder there, I don't know much about the overseas market, just North America.

My top tip would be not to skimp on the calcium + D3. When I have babies most of the meals are proteins at first, then with veggies mixed in. The veggies have to be cut up super small (at least compared to adult food). With newborns I feed daily, at a month or so old I switch to every second day. By 6 months I'm only feeding 2x a week at most. They can eat meals about the size of their heads, so it's really not much to start with.

You can use aspen for sure. Be sure to watch for shed issues and don't let the skink eat food on the aspen (use a large plate or something to keep the food away from the substrate).


Yeah I have read up about that so I've been trying to be careful! Hopefully I will be getting it from "Global Geckos". They state that all the animals they sell are captive bred and they do most of it themselves! It could be that the parents were wild caught but they've had a lot of good reviews on Reptile Forums UK. I dont know if its just where Im looking, but in the UK indonesian CBs actually seem more available than northerns or any others!

Thankyou for the detailed feeding tips! I have a huge adult size feeding bowl at the moment, hopefully that should prevent any aspen consumption!
User avatar
iLoveMyLizard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:15 pm
Country:
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Top Baby Tips!

Postby iLoveMyLizard » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:47 am

There are plenty of CB indos in the UK, indonesian species seem more prevalent in the UK than the others, however there are also a few northern breeders about. You also get the odd group of easterns too.

I wouldn't suspect too much that its wild caught, give it a close inspection before buying, and maybe get a fecal test done at PALS,.

Good luck with your skink, for protein I use turkey mince instead of fog food, dubia roaches and silkworms, since these are high in calcium too, and use supplements such as nutrobal and a pure calcium supplement. I also use this in conjunction with a uvb tube, but supplementing is essential and uvb shouldnt be used by itself.

Best of luck

Joe
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
User avatar
Keblin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 12:43 am
Country:
Location: SE England

Re: Top Baby Tips!

Postby Keblin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:13 am

I'm sure I saw some Iran Jaya's somewhere, but I defiantly agree that Indonesians are more common! Quite lucky as they are my preferred sub species 2nd only to Meraukes! ^^

Thankyou very for the nutrition tips! If I may ask, have you ever used dog food, and if so what brand?
ShortStack
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:53 pm
Country:
Location: Florida

Re: Top Baby Tips!

Postby ShortStack » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:51 am

I'm a big fan of aspen. I got Coby when he was just a couple of weeks old probably, and it was the first thing I put him on. He loved to burrow but I didn't like the look of it as much when I changed up his tank, so I tried cypress for a while. He wasn't a happy camper, to say the least. He totally quit burrowing. I've since switched back and he is burrowing up a storm again. It may not look as well for the tank I have set up, in my opinion, but the spoiled brat is happy, so oh well, lol.
0.0.1 Northern BTS(Coby), 0.1 Iguana(Spice), 3.1 Dogs(Ali, Duke, Bo, and Daisy), 1.1 BP's(Snickers and Laila), and 0.1 Corn(Candy)
User avatar
Keblin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 12:43 am
Country:
Location: SE England

Re: Top Baby Tips!

Postby Keblin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:27 am

I love the stuff to, the skink I met loved to burrow in it to. I think it looks quite good as well! :D I suppose cypress mulch looks a bit more natural though!
User avatar
Rush
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 3:24 pm
Country:
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Top Baby Tips!

Postby Rush » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:28 pm

and holds humidity much better. My skinks do great on the stuff and it absorbs waste better than any other substrate ive tried. My skinks love fresh humid cypress mulch...and they are from Indonesia where the climate is very humid.
1.0.0 Merauke BTS, Rush-2009

-Brett-
User avatar
Keblin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 12:43 am
Country:
Location: SE England

Re: Top Baby Tips!

Postby Keblin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:34 pm

Rush wrote:and holds humidity much better. My skinks do great on the stuff and it absorbs waste better than any other substrate ive tried. My skinks love fresh humid mulch.


I was literally just reading up about Indonesians possibly needing higher humidity...Though I prefer aspen...perhaps I should use cypress mulch then?
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: Top Baby Tips!

Postby donkeybuff » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:43 pm

If I were you, I would use sypress mulch. I use cypress mulch for my indo. I've used aspen and eco earth, and I found that it's very hard to maintain the 60-70% humidity that I find helps him shed better. With cypress mulch, a good occasional misting keeps the humidity for much longer than aspen.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
Keblin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 12:43 am
Country:
Location: SE England

Re: Top Baby Tips!

Postby Keblin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:21 pm

Great! Thanks for the advice! ^^ I'll defiantly use cypress mulch now then!
User avatar
Keblin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 12:43 am
Country:
Location: SE England

Re: Top Baby Tips!

Postby Keblin » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:51 am

Thought I'd just try here instead of starting another whole thread...

Is this sort of Cypress mulch right? http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/cypress-mulch/

It seems a bit...barky...compared to other pictures I've seen...It doesnt look very nice to burrow in compared to aspen!! ;^^

It seems quite hard to find this stuff in the UK!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 266 guests