Is This A Good Idea?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- AnnaMonroe
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
- Country:
- Location: BROOKLYN, NY
- Contact:
Is This A Good Idea?
I live in Coney Island, Brooklyn, NY.
So for those who know, that is literally right in front of the beach.
Are blueys okay with being taken to the beach for a short time?
Or is walking around on the sand bad for them?
I don't have him yet, but this topic has been running through my mind day and night lol.
I really want to take him to the beach for a bit, but if it's a bad idea, please don't hesitate to let me know! Lol.
So for those who know, that is literally right in front of the beach.
Are blueys okay with being taken to the beach for a short time?
Or is walking around on the sand bad for them?
I don't have him yet, but this topic has been running through my mind day and night lol.
I really want to take him to the beach for a bit, but if it's a bad idea, please don't hesitate to let me know! Lol.
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Is This A Good Idea?
I don't see anything wrong with the beach for a BTS.
Same rules would apply there as anywhere else you take them: careful with other people walking around so he doesn't get stepped on, always keep your eyes on him, be ready if he spooks and takes off, make sure he doesn't eat weird objects off the ground, etc.
Same rules would apply there as anywhere else you take them: careful with other people walking around so he doesn't get stepped on, always keep your eyes on him, be ready if he spooks and takes off, make sure he doesn't eat weird objects off the ground, etc.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Is This A Good Idea?
We used to have a member who took her skinks to the beach and took lots of pictures for us.
Rules would be keep them close, don't let them hit the water, have a dark hide they can retreat to, and make sure they don't eat anything. And take lots of photos.
Rules would be keep them close, don't let them hit the water, have a dark hide they can retreat to, and make sure they don't eat anything. And take lots of photos.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- AnnaMonroe
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
- Country:
- Location: BROOKLYN, NY
- Contact:
Re: Is This A Good Idea?
Lmao! I love the whole "takes off" thing.
I've seen a video of BTS running when they're spooked and oh boy, they sure are rocket ships.
Some parts of the beach do have weird objects in the sand so I'll be sure none of that will get in his mouth.
As for people, I don't want to take him down by the ocean where everyone sets up their towels and tents.
I want to let him walk around all the way in the beginning of the beach, by the boardwalk where no one lays and there's nothing but open fields of sand.
I wouldn't feel comfortable with putting him down next to hundreds of other people lol.
And Yes!!!! Photos will be a priority
I've seen a video of BTS running when they're spooked and oh boy, they sure are rocket ships.
Some parts of the beach do have weird objects in the sand so I'll be sure none of that will get in his mouth.
As for people, I don't want to take him down by the ocean where everyone sets up their towels and tents.
I want to let him walk around all the way in the beginning of the beach, by the boardwalk where no one lays and there's nothing but open fields of sand.
I wouldn't feel comfortable with putting him down next to hundreds of other people lol.
And Yes!!!! Photos will be a priority
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Is This A Good Idea?
AnnaMonroe wrote:I wouldn't feel comfortable with putting him down next to hundreds of other people lol.
I can, from experience, guarantee that, if you put him down anywhere where people can see him, you will soon have TONS of people crowding around you both! It can get ridiculous. But fun. But be prepared!
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- AnnaMonroe
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
- Country:
- Location: BROOKLYN, NY
- Contact:
Re: Is This A Good Idea?
Lmao!!! I'm sure the paparazzi won't phase him too much 
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Is This A Good Idea?
Some blueys live next to beahes in the wild
I wouldnt take pet ones there though,whats the point of it?
Beach wrathets usually warm, ever measured substrate temps of sand at beach when its warm,let alone hot,add in things like people have dogs at the beach to,plus it probably would stress them,to me its putting them at risk,is of zero benefit to them and usually renders u stuck there watching it,defeats the purpose of going to beach in the first place,taking a dip,but more to the point exposes bluey to risks it otherwise shouldnt have to be exposed to,much better bringing it out in your backyard
I wouldnt take pet ones there though,whats the point of it?
Beach wrathets usually warm, ever measured substrate temps of sand at beach when its warm,let alone hot,add in things like people have dogs at the beach to,plus it probably would stress them,to me its putting them at risk,is of zero benefit to them and usually renders u stuck there watching it,defeats the purpose of going to beach in the first place,taking a dip,but more to the point exposes bluey to risks it otherwise shouldnt have to be exposed to,much better bringing it out in your backyard
- AnnaMonroe
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
- Country:
- Location: BROOKLYN, NY
- Contact:
Re: Is This A Good Idea?
Well I don't have a backyard to take him to. Where I live it's all apartment complexes and buildings.
I do have a huge grassy park I can take him to, but that will require him sitting with me on the train for 50 minutes to Manhattan.
I personally don't see the harm with him strolling on the sand for a few minutes. And I wouldn't place him down on crazy hot sand, I know how the sand gets here on very hot days.
I wouldn't be going to the beach for my own purposes, but just to watch him and let him stroll.
I do have a huge grassy park I can take him to, but that will require him sitting with me on the train for 50 minutes to Manhattan.
I personally don't see the harm with him strolling on the sand for a few minutes. And I wouldn't place him down on crazy hot sand, I know how the sand gets here on very hot days.
I wouldn't be going to the beach for my own purposes, but just to watch him and let him stroll.
- iLoveMyLizard
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 145
- Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: United Kingdom
Re: Is This A Good Idea?
I wouldnt see a problem with it providing he doesnt get too cold, or too hot, or burrows in the sand lol
I would take a good few towels so that the heat of the sand doesnt burn his belly etc, and be aware of him getting stressed, if he starts spooking out, and wont calm down, then I would return home.
I would take a good few towels so that the heat of the sand doesnt burn his belly etc, and be aware of him getting stressed, if he starts spooking out, and wont calm down, then I would return home.
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
- AnnaMonroe
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
- Country:
- Location: BROOKLYN, NY
- Contact:
Re: Is This A Good Idea?
Yea, that's the only thing I would be worried about, him burrowing in the sand. Other than that he would only be there on a good day, not too cold & not too hot. And yes, I will be sure to take him home if he doesn't like the beach, my house is a one minute walk from it so we should be home in no time. Thanks for your input everyone
!
-
Rachael t
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 68
- Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:36 am
- Country:
- Location: QLD, Australia
Re: Is This A Good Idea?
If that's your nearest place then I don't see why it would be a problem. Just stay close to it when it's out.
Rachael, Lizzie and Tripod
- Jenn
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 7:23 am
- Country:
- Location: CT
Re: Is This A Good Idea?
I've taken one of my skinks to the beach before. He was very laid back and went alot of places with me. I normally took him either early in the morning or early evening. I also took him to a part of the beach that was always pretty empty.
1.0 Northerns Christopher


- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Is This A Good Idea?
Fair enough,dudnt realise lack of yard,so not much options but beach ir park,with a watchful eye cant see it being an issue,beaches wont harm them,ive seen plenty of wild ones with in 20 metres of the water here
- AnnaMonroe
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
- Country:
- Location: BROOKLYN, NY
- Contact:
Re: Is This A Good Idea?
Thank you everybody! I feel very confident about the beach situation now 

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 276 guests
