strange lump on lizards skin? help :(

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
jazzmoan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

strange lump on lizards skin? help :(

Postby jazzmoan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:22 am

My eastern blue tongue lizard is approximately 10-11 years old, in the last month a weird small skin lump suddenly appeared i dont know what it is and i couldn't find anything about it on the internet, it seems to be annoying him as his starting to get red scales around it as if his trying to rub it off. really hoping its nothing bad :( iv attached a photo please have a look, really hope someone can help me....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Re: strange lump on lizards skin? help :(

Postby Jeff » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:17 pm

I am not a veteranarian, and it is always hard to diagnose an animal online, but it LOOKS like an localized infection. I have had that twice on female skinks in the minor wounds they received during breeding. If that is what it is, you will be able to "pop" the bump like a zit by applying pressure to one edge of it with a finger nail. It takes a reasonable amount of pressure, but not enough to injure the skink at all. That is what I would try. If it does pop, the white puss that comes out will be soft but solid. After removing all of that, a topical antibiotic like Silvadene is probably all that would be necessary to clear it up.

I am NOT saying for sure that this is what you have there, just that trying to treat it that way will not harm your skink, and that is what my vet did the first time I had that issue. The second time I treated it by myself and the skink cleared up right away.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
jazzmoan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby jazzmoan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Hey I tried that but it wouldn't pop its very hard and feels like its normal scales, I even tried to put a small hole in it with a pin (i steralised it first) but this also did nothing :( any other ideas that I can try at home before I have to take him to a vet??
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:21 am

Does ot feel hard,could be an abcess, if its getting bigger and jeffs procedure doent work a vet visit may be in order for piece of mind,is it housed with others,could be the result of a bite by a cage mate
jazzmoan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby jazzmoan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Yeah it is quite hard, it is housed with another but they have been together for their whole life (11years) with no problems :s maybe one day they had a disagreement haha I'll watch him closely and if nothing changes ill wait till holidays are over and ask my reptile teacher at Tafe before going to a vet :) thanks for the help I'll keep you posted when I know

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”