Best way to give blueys outside time?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Best way to give blueys outside time?
I really want to take my reptiles outside, but I've heard several examples of people getting mites that way. What is the best way to let them do their thing (while being safely supervised of course) but to minimize the risk of getting mites? I still have some PAM, I suppose I could zap their cages while they are out, just in case?
Thoughts?
Thoughts?
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Best way to give blueys outside time?
best way would to make a secure outdoor enclosure,especially if u have dogs,totally enclosed to keep predetors out,and of course to keep the blueys in,give them options to bask,andto escape hot weather
if mites concern you,alot of areas they wont be a concern,especially outdoors,but they can be,a simple spray with provent a mite,or some other aresol mite spray should suffice when bringing them back indoors,generally they shouldbe fine outdoors anyways with out needing it,but i guess provention is easier than cure
if mites concern you,alot of areas they wont be a concern,especially outdoors,but they can be,a simple spray with provent a mite,or some other aresol mite spray should suffice when bringing them back indoors,generally they shouldbe fine outdoors anyways with out needing it,but i guess provention is easier than cure
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Best way to give blueys outside time?
I dont have dogs, but I also dont think our weather would be appropriate to have blueys outside. I was planning on just a hour or a few hours at a time. Our weather hasnt even hit over 80*F, and that was for 2 days, 2 weeks apart, the rest has been about 65 and raining.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Best way to give blueys outside time?
I've never had a problem with any of my animals getting mites and I bring any that I can outside. If you have a porch you could bring them out to bask or walk around which I do, or I sit with them in the grass. I think the information above was good advice for what you can do just in case though. But just wait and it well get warmer during the summer. Here in connecticut it's not always warm either, but when it does get around 80 and isn't raining you should be fine to take them outside. (it's not like it has to be 90 for them to be okay outside) I think perhaps if you left them out for hours you'd have a little higher chance of mites, but I don't think you really have to worry about it.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- shingleback aus
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1471
- Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:53 pm
- Country:
- Location: australia melbourne victoria
Re: Best way to give blueys outside time?
find a nice open area were the grass is short and there is no way of escape! give him a place to hide from the sun and keep a close eye on him make sure he doesnt eat anything harmfull and be aware of any potencial predators do not leave him unsupervised for a second u can be amazed how far they can get when there on the run!!
in regaurds to mites there not really an isssue to be honest but as said if ur worried give them a once over with mite spray before u bring him back in just avoid the eyes and mouth area and make sure its dry before u put him back in his tank
true blue 
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Best way to give blueys outside time?
Oh thanks all! I guess I mistakenly thought it had to be warmer like 85*f or 90 to take them out! I'm glad that the mites thing is way less likely than I thought to...I need to stop worryin so much 
Thanks to everyone to responded! It was all helpful!
Thanks to everyone to responded! It was all helpful!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Best way to give blueys outside time?
outside,even an 80 degree day will provide basking temps well above that temp,a heated up bluey is capable of a rapid turn of speed,i dont mean keep them outdoors all the time,a sunning cage is less stressful than having to keepgrabbing a wandering bluey,also allows u to not have to watch them like a hawk,plus main bonus is they can explore ect in peace,with out the stress and annoyance of a human grabbing it when it wants toexplore,u can also offer hides ect if it wants to feel secluded
end of the day its whats best for the animal,not the keeper,and you asked for the best way to have them outdoors,which is in an enclosure offering options galore and no spoil sport human messing with its exploration timeand preventing it from feeling secure need hiding places
to me its like taking kids to disney land,but drawing a circle in the middle ofthe ride area and telling the kids they cant leave the circle and go on any rides,lol
end of the day its whats best for the animal,not the keeper,and you asked for the best way to have them outdoors,which is in an enclosure offering options galore and no spoil sport human messing with its exploration timeand preventing it from feeling secure need hiding places
to me its like taking kids to disney land,but drawing a circle in the middle ofthe ride area and telling the kids they cant leave the circle and go on any rides,lol
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Best way to give blueys outside time?
oh, well, i thought you meant having them LIVE out doors. I know they would get RI's and worse LIVING outside in our nutty weather. However, I could totally whip up a skink proof area for them to play in (separately of course!)
and I KNOW they can be fast little buggers, last year we tried to give Zergling some outside time, and spent the whole time chasing him X_X At that time, I figured that their short legs meant they would be slow, but OH MAN they kinda "eel" through the grass like lightning! O.O
I'm sorry if I sounded like I thought your info wasnt appropriate or helpful Richard, I totally did, I just was a little confused about some of it. I really do like the sunning cage idea, and you are right, it'd be more fun for them and less awkward and stressful for me if I wasnt always having to catch them and put them back
I wish our summers were longer, as they are only going to get a month or two to play outside, since we've only now had 3 days of ~80 and every other day its pretty much always raining. Good Sapphire weather, bad skink weather.
Would I need to have a bottom to the cage? My initial guess would be no, since I dont think they are that hard core of diggers?
and I KNOW they can be fast little buggers, last year we tried to give Zergling some outside time, and spent the whole time chasing him X_X At that time, I figured that their short legs meant they would be slow, but OH MAN they kinda "eel" through the grass like lightning! O.O
I'm sorry if I sounded like I thought your info wasnt appropriate or helpful Richard, I totally did, I just was a little confused about some of it. I really do like the sunning cage idea, and you are right, it'd be more fun for them and less awkward and stressful for me if I wasnt always having to catch them and put them back
I wish our summers were longer, as they are only going to get a month or two to play outside, since we've only now had 3 days of ~80 and every other day its pretty much always raining. Good Sapphire weather, bad skink weather.
Would I need to have a bottom to the cage? My initial guess would be no, since I dont think they are that hard core of diggers?
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Best way to give blueys outside time?
If you're supervising constantly you don't need a bottom or top. If you plan to leave them alone at all you'll want the sides dug into the ground (or a bottom), and a sturdy screen top.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Best way to give blueys outside time?
SapphireTigress wrote:Would I need to have a bottom to the cage? My initial guess would be no, since I dont think they are that hard core of diggers?
I definitely would put a bottom of some sort of hard almost meshed wire that's connected all closely together. They do burrow and even if they dig a few inches can escape the bottom. (they can squeeze through small spaces pretty well too which adds to their chances of escape) Another thing that could happen is an animal trying to get INTO the cage and digging under to get in. That's why when people have chickens (who obviously won't burrow underground like a skink could) they still put a bottom that is burried a few inches under the soil so nothing can get in either.
So yes if they are going to be left out I would, but if you are going to be there and watching the entire time, then I don't think it would be since you would see him trying to dig out.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Best way to give blueys outside time?
all good sapphire,was just meaning even as a sun cage for occaisionally,its good for piece of mind,plus allows them to do as they please
u dont need a bottom/floor for the enclosure if the walls are burried,but if you want a movable cage,then a floors a good idea,u can add a few inches of substrate above it
its pretty cold where i am to,normally a good 6 months of the year i cant feed my outdoors blueys,and even when it warms up,we get quite a lot of variations,theres a saying for melbourne,its like 4 seasons in one day,lol
u dont need a bottom/floor for the enclosure if the walls are burried,but if you want a movable cage,then a floors a good idea,u can add a few inches of substrate above it
its pretty cold where i am to,normally a good 6 months of the year i cant feed my outdoors blueys,and even when it warms up,we get quite a lot of variations,theres a saying for melbourne,its like 4 seasons in one day,lol
- Leigh
- Leigh of the Law

- Posts: 6695
- Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:23 am
- Country:
- Location: Bristol, England
Re: Best way to give blueys outside time?
I take Mr Blue out onto the back patio for a sun n stroll, i pay more attention to the ground temps than the air, sun on stone can warm quick even on a cold day, just watch out for winds/draughts and they should be fine. I use my digi temp gun to keep an eye on it all.
Patios are good way to keep the claws filed down too....
Patios are good way to keep the claws filed down too....
MMMmmmmm... Something???????
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Best way to give blueys outside time?
oh man, i hear you on the 4 seasons in day, its like that here in WA state too...a few days ago it rained and half the sky was nice and blue! It just rained from one cloud that then wandered away. X_X
The next day was 80+. o.o
The next day was 80+. o.o
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Vegasarah
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 152
- Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Re: Best way to give blueys outside time?
I don't have much of a yard to speak of, but when I take any of my reptiles outside I plop them in a kiddie pool or a large rummermaid bin. Throw in some aspen shavings and other fun stuff for them to check out and they love it. Mine mostly soak up the sun and then go burrow down for a bit.
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Best way to give blueys outside time?
Thats a really cool idea Vegasarah! That I can definitely do soon
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Vegasarah
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 152
- Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Re: Best way to give blueys outside time?
Richard.C wrote:all good sapphire,was just meaning even as a sun cage for occaisionally,its good for piece of mind,plus allows them to do as they please
u dont need a bottom/floor for the enclosure if the walls are burried,but if you want a movable cage,then a floors a good idea,u can add a few inches of substrate above it
its pretty cold where i am to,normally a good 6 months of the year i cant feed my outdoors blueys,and even when it warms up,we get quite a lot of variations,theres a saying for melbourne,its like 4 seasons in one day,lol
I used to live right outside Melbourne! I really miss it there. Some of the best years of my life. It was always a bit chilly but at least the summers are a bit mild, not like here in the desert. If you don't mind me asking, whereabout do you live?
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: Best way to give blueys outside time?
Vegasarah wrote:I don't have much of a yard to speak of, but when I take any of my reptiles outside I plop them in a kiddie pool or a large rummermaid bin. Throw in some aspen shavings and other fun stuff for them to check out and they love it. Mine mostly soak up the sun and then go burrow down for a bit.
That is a GREAT idea! Unfortunately, I had to start spraying my lawn for weeds - they were just getting overwhelming...so was concerned that Skeeter wouldn't be able to go out anymore
But now will pick one up - and when/if it ever gets warm again he can enjoy the warm with me.
We both thank you
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 181 guests
