scab

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
AidanJames1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

scab

Postby AidanJames1 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:34 pm

Rex has something that looks like a yellow scab on his (lip). I can't take photos because I only have my iPod available now. which doesn't take high quality photos so you can't see it in the photo.
All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Re: scab

Postby Richard.C » Fri May 18, 2012 11:57 pm

have u tried gently wiping it away with a damp cloth,they often get dried up muck stick to there mouths,if it wipes away and theres no sign of a sore it will just be that,which can be quite normal
anchietae
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby anchietae » Mon May 21, 2012 9:14 pm

Great thought, Richard. If it does prove to be a scab or cut, you may want to apply some Neosporin or a similar topical antibiotic. Reptiles usually respond well to this. Good luck!
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Sun May 27, 2012 6:21 pm

neosporin is actually pretty bad for reptiles, if you DO feel the need to use it, make sure you get WITHOUT pain relief. I was told that by one of our well known reptile vets that Neosporin is actually somewhat toxic to reptiles. Not enough to kill them (usually) but definitely not great for them either. Betadine is a much better option IMO.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
anchietae
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby anchietae » Sun May 27, 2012 7:05 pm

:shock: I've had excellent results using Neosporin on injured reptiles. This was the primary first aid treatment I used on a black-headed python that had been hit by a car and had it's side opened up. After cleaning it thoroughly, I squeezed a good amount in the gaping wound then dressed it. After a period of several weeks and many applications later, then followed by a shed, the wound closed and healed completely. The python was later released in excellent condition. I also applied it to a knob-tail gecko that had torn skin due to a predator attack. These are relatively delicate geckos that don't handle stress well but this animal healed up perfectly, leaving only minimal scaring, which I feel the Neosporin helped. This is used as a topical antibiotic, certainly not for ingestion. I've never heard any suggestion that Neosporin is harmful for reptiles. Can you provide anything documented to support this claim? :?
Betadine is good for cleaning minor wounds. I've used both products.

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”