Update:)Good news!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- phaemas
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 550
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
- Country:
- Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada
Update:)Good news!
So You all know that marcie had an RI awhile ago. Well her appetite has been up and down for awhile and yesterday I finally saw her eat her second big meal more or less mobbing the food than Steve does!!! This is a HUGE milestone! A sick animal doesn't eat right? Well! She's finally back to her aware and curious self! I couldn't beleive it when she ate half a can of cat food! Talk about piggy! But No one can beat steve when it comes to being a pig:) Steve can eat a whole can and if he was let two cansO_O
I also Built her a hide out of tp rolls and I put it in and she went over to it and tryed to climb IN on of the tp rolls! She managed to fit her head and neck in before she wiggles out. Talk about funny skinks!
And What are the nutritional values of earth worms pulled out of a garden? I plan to try and feed them if they're worth the dig in nutrition:D
I also Built her a hide out of tp rolls and I put it in and she went over to it and tryed to climb IN on of the tp rolls! She managed to fit her head and neck in before she wiggles out. Talk about funny skinks!
And What are the nutritional values of earth worms pulled out of a garden? I plan to try and feed them if they're worth the dig in nutrition:D
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Update:)Good news!
not sure on value of earthworms,but adds variety so cant hurt i guess,glad to hear marcies picking up,hows she going weight wise,getting her to feed more consistantly will be a good sign shes doing better,pop a pic up if u get a chance,i cant even remember what she looks like its been so long
- phaemas
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 550
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
- Country:
- Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada
Re: Update:)Good news!
Her weights still a little up and down but it's been constant at 525 for 2-3 weeks! I'll make sure to get a pic later!
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Re: Update:)Good news!
I thought the sick bluey was living somewhere else?
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
- phaemas
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 550
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
- Country:
- Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada
Re: Update:)Good news!
She was for a bit she went away with me for a week awhile ago:) She was at my dads for a week with me.
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: Update:)Good news!
Always happy to hear about a recovering creature 
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
- phaemas
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 550
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
- Country:
- Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada
Re: Update:)Good news!
Yes it is:) I put aspen shavings back in her tank and she stays on her tileXD I think she's forgotten what to do with the shavings:O She's more aware of everything now than she was a couple months ago. Now she lifts her head to watch me in my room. Mabey it's time to try egg with her again?
OH! We're building a live tank at my dads for the bass and perch and Walleye/Pickerel we catch it's going to be about 6FeetX6Feet I think by i think 3-4 feet tall:D Thats around 538.6 gallons?
OH! We're building a live tank at my dads for the bass and perch and Walleye/Pickerel we catch it's going to be about 6FeetX6Feet I think by i think 3-4 feet tall:D Thats around 538.6 gallons?
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Update:)Good news!
Walleye eat perch...
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Update:)Good news!
live feeder tank
thats a whopping sized tank,imagine it leaked or broke in the house,would be like a a tidal wave
thats a whopping sized tank,imagine it leaked or broke in the house,would be like a a tidal wave
- Bassman
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 32
- Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:24 am
- Country:
- Location: United States
Re: Update:)Good news!
A 6'x6'x3' cage is about 810 gallons and a 6'x6'x4' is about 1075 gallons according to my calculations
. You take cubic inches and divide by 231 to get gallons. I was planning on designing my own custom cages sometime in the near future. I made an excel spread sheet that will calculate everything I need to know about any cage design, including how much it would cost to make. I was really bored that day.
And it's awesome that your BTS is doing better. Good luck with your tank.
And it's awesome that your BTS is doing better. Good luck with your tank.
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: Update:)Good news!
I am not sure what an RI is - but if it is any type of infection - personally - I would hold off on the eggs till a total recovery - and add a couple of months.
But that is me
But that is me
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Update:)Good news!
skeetersmom wrote:I am not sure what an RI is - but if it is any type of infection - personally - I would hold off on the eggs till a total recovery - and add a couple of months.
But that is me
*respiratory infection.
in this particular case phaemas, please stick to the basics.
if your bluey finally eats regular dog food then mix it with veggies like usual - all to ensure no food change stress, no moving stress and all those other things that might give her the RI issues back. just wait - 3+ months at least till you start changing stuff again. she needs to rest and heal so that she will be her usual self and live a long and happy life.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: Update:)Good news!
Has anyone else heard of not altering diet after a skink has had a RI? IMO, waiting 3+ months after the skink has gotten better to give a treat is ridiculous! I have never heard anything of the like regarding any animal.
My biggest concern would be making a fish tank that large! That would be a huge flood in the house if something were to go wrong. Now if I had bought a professionally made aquarium, then I wouldnt be as worried as long as I followed directions (proper stand and support, etc) and came with a warranty.
My biggest concern would be making a fish tank that large! That would be a huge flood in the house if something were to go wrong. Now if I had bought a professionally made aquarium, then I wouldnt be as worried as long as I followed directions (proper stand and support, etc) and came with a warranty.
Brad
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Update:)Good news!
ReptileKing wrote:Has anyone else heard of not altering diet after a skink has had a RI? IMO, waiting 3+ months after the skink has gotten better to give a treat is ridiculous! I have never heard anything of the like regarding any animal.
i thought she meant it as in altering the diet. sorry.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Re: Update:)Good news!
A case can be made for not reintroducing all foods immediately after an RI, but it need not be a prolonged period of time.
If a course of antibiotics has been completed they will almost certainly have caused a disturbance in the balance of beneficial micro flora in the gut. How much imbalance will depend on several factors including whether the abx were bacteriostatic or bacteriocidal, with the former causing less loss of beneficial flora. Feeding too much variety initially can cause gastrointestinal problems as the flora re-establishes and can lead to an overgrowth of bacteria such as Chlostridium difficile. I would avoid foods high in sugars such as fruit (fructose) for a couple of weeks to allow the gut to settle.
If a course of antibiotics has been completed they will almost certainly have caused a disturbance in the balance of beneficial micro flora in the gut. How much imbalance will depend on several factors including whether the abx were bacteriostatic or bacteriocidal, with the former causing less loss of beneficial flora. Feeding too much variety initially can cause gastrointestinal problems as the flora re-establishes and can lead to an overgrowth of bacteria such as Chlostridium difficile. I would avoid foods high in sugars such as fruit (fructose) for a couple of weeks to allow the gut to settle.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
- phaemas
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 550
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
- Country:
- Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada
Re: Update:)Good news!
The tank would be outside near our dock-XD My dads only concern is the weight and size when filled. Any ideas for a place to put it near our dock? We want it near put he doesn't want to sink the platform were he wants it into the mud. Our entire dock was built on cement blocks instead of a large base.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 278 guests
