Tanks

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Octopus
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:16 pm
Country:
Location: united states

Tanks

Postby Octopus » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:21 am

Hey does anyone know a good place to get terrariums 48"x18"x18" or similar?
Or if somebody could tell me an estimate the price to make a tank that size.
User avatar
skeetersmom
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
Country:
Location: Milwaukee WI USA

Re: Tanks

Postby skeetersmom » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:20 pm

I know for a fact that PetWorld carries that size - for almost $300.00!! I purchased all of my tanks from my local Craig's list.
I know that Craig's list isn't for everyone - but I have had no problems.

I have one size you are looking for - paid $90. Another of my larger tanks 6' long 18" wide for $100.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Tanks

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:41 pm

Glasscages.com
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
Octopus
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:16 pm
Country:
Location: united states

Re: Tanks

Postby Octopus » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:40 pm

I'm on a budget right now so $90 is still to much but I have being researching and I think that I'm just going to make a tank(I think that I could do it for around $30-$35).
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Tanks

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:04 pm

Yeah. No tank that size is for sale under $100 sorry...
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Tanks

Postby Richard.C » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:44 pm

could look for a 2nd hand fish tank of that size,u can pick them up for a song,they are heavy though,otherwise could always make a wood enclosure with a glass front,i find they keep the heat in alot better
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Re: Tanks

Postby critterguy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:37 pm

YEah- you could make one, or look on craigslist. I got a tank pretty much that size(60 gal breeder) for $30 or so on CL. Lots of people need to get rid of big cages and they will go cheap.

You can also buy a sweaterbox of that size for about $20...it would do just fine.
Octopus
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:16 pm
Country:
Location: united states

Re: Tanks

Postby Octopus » Tue May 01, 2012 6:38 am

Richard.C wrote: could always make a wood enclosure with a glass front,i find they keep the heat in alot better

That's what I was planning to do.
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Tanks

Postby Spindown » Tue May 01, 2012 10:32 am

Yeah. No tank that size is for sale under $100 sorry...


Thats not true if you go on Craigslist. I've seen cages that size for free! Not often but it happens.
Just make sure if you get a used cage you clean the heck out of it!!! The first time I got a used cage, I got mites! X_X

HOwever, now i have veterinary grade cleaning supplies, so I no longer worry about things like that. PAM, F-10, Lysol wipes and bleach. Good to go! :)
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
skeetersmom
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
Country:
Location: Milwaukee WI USA

Re: Tanks

Postby skeetersmom » Wed May 02, 2012 7:36 am

Vinegar is a great cleaner also. I have purchased many tanks from CL - no mites or problems. Not sure if it was the vinegar, or a blessing.

Just like the vinegar because it dosen't have the chemicals in it that are harmful (still rinse the vinegar though)
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Tanks

Postby Spindown » Wed May 02, 2012 8:24 am

Vinegar is great for cleaning amongst your own collection who have been found to have no parasites or diseases, but it is not strong enough to kill crypto or many other parasites/diseases. Neither is the other commonly used cleaner Chlorahexidine. I'd talk to a vet and see what cleaners they recommend for unknowns. Unfortunately, you have to be very careful with used tanks.

I only use F-10 because its safe for reptiles and even birds. Its a form of Quaternary ammonia. They even use it as a nebulizer (sp?) for RI in many species.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Re: Tanks

Postby Nae » Thu May 03, 2012 6:34 am

You can quite often get broken tanks for free or at least very cheap- Just patch them up with a bit of silicone (Either aquarium grade or %100, not bathroom silicone or something), give them a thorough clean, and they are perfectly fine for blueys :D

If you want to make your own tank, head to a Goodwill/2nd hand/ garage sale and pick up a item of furniture like a cupboard, then pop some glass, something to hold the substrate in and ventilation into it. Obviously how to go about doing that would vary depending on the individual furniture piece ;) - Ive seen some pretty snazzy setups done that way!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 280 guests