How much supplement do you add?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
neurotic88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

How much supplement do you add?

Postby neurotic88 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:47 pm

So Jarvis seems to be progressing well :)

I take him out every single day for at least a short visit, and every time he gets a tiny piece of fruit or egg as a treat, I figure it will help him associate coming out as a positive experience?

I'm feeding him every other day, and he eats about half a teaspoon, I generally supplement every meal, sometimes I skip it.
I put about a pinch of powder in, as the directions aren't really clear about the proportions.

For a juvi, how much and how often is a good staple?


Thanks!

Image
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: How much supplement do you add?

Postby Richard.C » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:26 pm

nice lil skink,a small pinch is fine,especially with small meals
neurotic88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: How much supplement do you add?

Postby neurotic88 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:35 pm

Okay, sounds good.

Is there such a thing as too much supplement?

Or is it like mammals , when they get too many vitamins they just get excreted out etc?
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: How much supplement do you add?

Postby Spindown » Tue May 01, 2012 11:10 am

I was told that reptiles excrete extra calcium, but D3 can be dangerous. Its usually fine in the powder form, but I was told by my vet NEVER EVER EVER! get the water soluble kind of D3. It gets toxic and they cant deal with it and it poisons them :(
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
neurotic88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: How much supplement do you add?

Postby neurotic88 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:05 am

SapphireTigress wrote:I was told that reptiles excrete extra calcium, but D3 can be dangerous. Its usually fine in the powder form, but I was told by my vet NEVER EVER EVER! get the water soluble kind of D3. It gets toxic and they cant deal with it and it poisons them :(



Yikes, never heard of that before, but yeah Jarvis gets the ultra fine powder every 2 days

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 189 guests