Eye / toe / RI issues in gigas BTS

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Re: Eye / toe / RI issues in gigas BTS

Postby Katrina » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:00 pm

Again - I have 13 living in the same conditions. Sapphire has multiple, so does Susann. My skinks all get the same amount of exercise, same size enclosures... and likely much larger than most provide. I think we can rule out the environmental / dietary etc. guesses. I've honestly tried to think of any and everything like that, but I have enough living in the exact same conditions that at this point it has to be something else. I'm leaving it up to my vet at this point because I don't know enough to be guessing. He has also ruled out husbandry / environmental problems.
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:29 am

Of those who have skinks affected by this condition and who have had blood tests performed, was a BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen)test part of it? If so was it within range?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:33 pm

You mean you do BUN tests on rabbits? :lol:
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:12 pm

Yeah Scott, I guess I half anticipated that reply. :)

I'm fairly certain we on the forum our not going to get to the bottom of this problem. The best bet would seem to be Kat's vet who is putting in a lot of work. It may be of help if someone knows a vet who is a subscriber to VIN (veterinary information network). Veterinary professionals can post a case there and get input from some 250 vets.

The reason I thought of the BUN test is together with a creatinine test it gives a good overall diagnosis of kidney health. Only a thought that this may be spread through the body by blood circulation as the points of infection are so diverse and at extremities of circulation i.e. the oral region and feet. If the kidneys are compromised in any way they may not be filtering the blood sufficiently.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:17 pm

some things may need to be diagnosed by autopsy to,ibd comes to mind in snakes

scott i thought the bun test only works on gravid females,and isnt always accurate in counting the amount of buns in the oven :lol:
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby WanderingChai » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:04 pm

El Lobo wrote:Yeah Scott, I guess I half anticipated that reply. :)

I'm fairly certain we on the forum our not going to get to the bottom of this problem. The best bet would seem to be Kat's vet who is putting in a lot of work. It may be of help if someone knows a vet who is a subscriber to VIN (veterinary information network). Veterinary professionals can post a case there and get input from some 250 vets.

The reason I thought of the BUN test is together with a creatinine test it gives a good overall diagnosis of kidney health. Only a thought that this may be spread through the body by blood circulation as the points of infection are so diverse and at extremities of circulation i.e. the oral region and feet. If the kidneys are compromised in any way they may not be filtering the blood sufficiently.

Should I get in touch with some vets and vet students at Cornell? I bet they would be interested and could help.
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”