eye problem.

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
younggmy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

eye problem.

Postby younggmy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:01 pm

Marshall has been doing well since i last posted to see if he was the right size\weight for his age. Yesterday i came up and his eye was weird, it looked like his eye had exploded. 10 seconds later his eye was normal again. He has been behaving normally and did not seem to care that his eye was like it was. I looked on the form and found the post about eye problems, and thought this was the same thing, but today after eating he was rubbing his head on things and he did it again ( the same eye), it was like a bubble came out from the corner of his eye and filled with blood (or something red) then 10 sec later it was gone again, he did this two or three times and then it looked like there was a drop of blood by his eye . He was covered in egg so my sister gave him a quick bath and then it looked a lot better. It looked like he had meant to do it but it really scared me . I did not get a picture of the bubble but i did a picture 30 sec after after it had gone down. I am not sure that i have a vet that will accept reptiles by me, or if i even need to see a vet, so any info about this would be great.Image
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Re: eye problem.

Postby Richard.C » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:14 pm

might have something to do with rubbing eye on something,if it clears up straight away and hes normal again,may not be anything to worry about to much,mind you it does sound odd,not the norm,lol,he looks fine in your pic,maybe when rubbing he nicked inside the eye lid?
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Can you get a couple more pictures? It does look a bit inflamed to me. If there is any redness or swelling I'd take him to a vet.
younggmy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby younggmy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:30 pm

thanks for the quick reply, ill attach another pick now like 30 min later, there is blood or something red just sitting in the bottom of his eye , hes not bleeding that i can see. I do not think that it was a nick or anything because it happened 2 days apart,and i am not sure that its blood in the bottom of his eye. now that i think about it it sorta looked hot pink like a muscle coming out from the corner of his eye, like to blind forward to back. sorry pics are not great had to take with iPod and he was moving. ImageImageImage
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:58 pm

It looks a little red to me, hard to tell. Is it redder or more inflamed than the other eye? I would probably be seeing a vet based on your description, hard to tell from pictures but it may be infected and better safe than sorry.
younggmy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby younggmy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Its his right eye that has been having the prob. and it does not look more red or inflamed then the other eye . I was only able to get a better pic from the front as he is more active at night and was all over the place when i was trying to hold him and. As i was watching him it looked like he was blinking right to left (head to tail)instead of up to down. Mabie i am just crazy but that's what it looked like. He seems to be fine right now. I looked, and the recommended vet on the BTS vet page for Michigan was 30 min away from my house. How much do you think a vet visit will cost ? Image
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:30 pm

That last pic looks normal to me... odd. If the eyes look the same, then I would keep clean and monitor them and not take him to the vet unless the one eye starts to worsen. It looked quite red in the close up pics, but their eyes can have a red / lavender color to the lids.

A vet visit is usually $50-$70 for the checkup. You don't need to see the one on the page, you can call around and see if there is one closer that specializes in exotics as well. But seeing that last picture and if you think there is no redness or swelling on the one, I would give it a few days and see rather than going to the vet just now. But you would know him best and see the problem best - so use your judgement on whether or not a vet visit is a good idea.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:35 pm

hes a nice pale looking bluey,last pic he looks perfectly normal,maybe he just irratates the eye when rubbing his face,eg when shedding or after he eats,and sometimes gets something in his eye,or rubs it on something,and the eye reacts,i agree with kat,just keep an eye on him and see what happens,but if it does concern you,you can always see a vet for peace of mind
younggmy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby younggmy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks for the replies, I think ill keep an eye on him for a couple days as he seems OK for now. His eye lids are very lavender and have been since i got him, so that is probably what you were seeing in the pictures. There is a couple of lady's that own a pet store dedicated to reptiles close to my house, so next time i go in ill ask about the best vet for reptiles in my area, if any body knows she does. Hopefully Marshall is alright .
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:07 pm

you can always call your local herp society and ask them where good reptile vets are too, if you have a society in your area. :)
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”