OATS answer now
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
AidanJames1
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 51
- Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:39 am
- Country:
- Location: Sydney, Australia
OATS answer now
Can blue tongues eat oats not in porridgy form just normal.
All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: OATS answer now
AidanJames1 wrote:Can blue tongues eat oats not in porridgy form just normal.
Ill answer in about 32 mins.....
Brad
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: OATS answer now
sorry for late reply,was cooking my porridge so had to keep an eye on it
they can eat either,they can eat alot of food we can eat,wether you would feed half of it,thats up to you,they may not like just oats though,but if u mixed some into amix of other stuff,im sure it would be ok,as a staple diet,i wouldnt reccomend it,there poop would look like museli bars,they need a good mix of protein,especially babies
they can eat either,they can eat alot of food we can eat,wether you would feed half of it,thats up to you,they may not like just oats though,but if u mixed some into amix of other stuff,im sure it would be ok,as a staple diet,i wouldnt reccomend it,there poop would look like museli bars,they need a good mix of protein,especially babies
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: OATS answer now
time for me to go make porridge....i blame you guys. RK, does it really take you that long? XD are you sure youre not making quinoa porridge or semolina porridge? XD
i wouldnt be afraid to give your bluey a taste sample of oat porridge, but as they said its not a good staple diet for a bluey. personally i wouldnt find it necessary at all, and i really wonder if they would really see it as food if fed "raw". the oat would just be eaten and then come out again. not much gained.
do you add salt to it though? i dont, seeing as its not needed actually ot bring out taste, but rather an ingredient of habit. if you were to try giving your bluey it shouldnt be salty
i wouldnt be afraid to give your bluey a taste sample of oat porridge, but as they said its not a good staple diet for a bluey. personally i wouldnt find it necessary at all, and i really wonder if they would really see it as food if fed "raw". the oat would just be eaten and then come out again. not much gained.
do you add salt to it though? i dont, seeing as its not needed actually ot bring out taste, but rather an ingredient of habit. if you were to try giving your bluey it shouldnt be salty
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: OATS answer now
people add salt to porridge? i normally add sugar to the finished product,helps to stomach it,lol
to bland in standard form for my liking,actually as ive got older even sugar doesnt help,lol
to bland in standard form for my liking,actually as ive got older even sugar doesnt help,lol
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: OATS answer now
AidanJames - it is rude to write "answer now". Everyone on here tries to be helpful and if they have the time and expertise will answer your questions as soon as they can, writing "answer now" will not get you a reply any faster but it will come off as rude.
Just something to think about, it really isn't necessary.
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Re: OATS answer now
You vill comply - someone needs some oats, I hear they help move things along.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
- Luke
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 536
- Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:41 pm
- Country:
- Location: Illinois
Re: OATS answer now
I see no benefit in the adding of oats to food. Even for us there really is not much nutritional value to them. It is more fiber than anything I just see no benefit to adding it.
"those that dare to venture expirience the greatest rewards" -unknown
"P.E.T.A People Eating Tasty Animals"
"and when he gets to heaven, to saint peter he will tell, "another soldier reporting sir, ive served my time in hell." PFC Cameron USMC
"P.E.T.A People Eating Tasty Animals"
"and when he gets to heaven, to saint peter he will tell, "another soldier reporting sir, ive served my time in hell." PFC Cameron USMC
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: OATS answer now
Luke wrote:I see no benefit in the adding of oats to food. Even for us there really is not much nutritional value to them. It is more fiber than anything I just see no benefit to adding it.
for humans it is very nutricious food with lots of benefits.
fibers in good amounts for human stomachs
fills up the stomach for a very long time compared to other food
contains iron
contains calcium
contains lots of other stuff. i took this from a website: Thiamin, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Manganese.
you can call it one of the first and most important human-made meals in human history
but i dont think blueys absorb the nutrients from these very well....somehow?
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: OATS answer now
I first saw this thread a couple days ago, but I have a personal policy; If I am ordered to read/answer something fast, I wait a minimum 48 hours before reading the post, if I get around to reading it at all.
I feed raw rolled oats to my blueys at times. Mostly to the shinglebacks, but the others get some at times too. This was recommended to me by a very experienced keeper in Australia, who has had incredible success with all types of bts. Sometimes I choose to trust what has worked for other people over time even if I don't understand exactly why a particular thing works. I think tried and true is more dependable than a theory every time. I am definitely not saying blueys need oats, just that they are ok to feed.
I feed raw rolled oats to my blueys at times. Mostly to the shinglebacks, but the others get some at times too. This was recommended to me by a very experienced keeper in Australia, who has had incredible success with all types of bts. Sometimes I choose to trust what has worked for other people over time even if I don't understand exactly why a particular thing works. I think tried and true is more dependable than a theory every time. I am definitely not saying blueys need oats, just that they are ok to feed.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: OATS answer now
lol the only time i would ever post "urgent or immediate help needed" would be...actually, no I'd be going to a vet. LOL
I wouldnt personally feed oat products to a Bluey as a staple, but if they were cooked I dont think it would hurt them occasionally? I just have never heard of them eating grains in the wild, but I could be wrong. The other thing is, unflavored oatmeal aka porridge (right?) is totally gross to me, and i'd feel guilty feeding something that tasted so BLAH to my blueys when they could be eating delicious foods that are better for them
I wouldnt personally feed oat products to a Bluey as a staple, but if they were cooked I dont think it would hurt them occasionally? I just have never heard of them eating grains in the wild, but I could be wrong. The other thing is, unflavored oatmeal aka porridge (right?) is totally gross to me, and i'd feel guilty feeding something that tasted so BLAH to my blueys when they could be eating delicious foods that are better for them
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 308 guests
