Just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation. I talk about my babies - and people look at me like I have three heads!
Do you feel....alone?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Do you feel....alone?
I was just wondering if it is the area I live in (Milwaukee WI), but there are very few people in my area that have the love of reptiles (I have snakes and hermit crabs - along with my dogs and cat).
Just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation. I talk about my babies - and people look at me like I have three heads!
Just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation. I talk about my babies - and people look at me like I have three heads!
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
-
sarah
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 67
- Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:32 pm
- Country:
- Location: Indiana
Re: Do you feel....alone?
YES! I am right there with you.Wht do our love of herps make us freaks?
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: Do you feel....alone?
Actually, I was concerned about people how don't love herps - they are missing out on so much (hmmm...maybe they are the freeks?) Lizards are #11 on the most popular list -
Herp owners unite! Educate the public about these awsome creatures - they are not the disease carrying/slimy/evil creatures that people think they are!
Actually, I do go around to local schools with my herps to do just that - and a couple of local pet stores welcome my visits - lets their customers see someone who isn't a sales person talking about them. Several times, a person coming in with a fear of snakes - leave with petting one for the first time, and on occasion, holding one.
Baby steps I guess
Herp owners unite! Educate the public about these awsome creatures - they are not the disease carrying/slimy/evil creatures that people think they are!
Actually, I do go around to local schools with my herps to do just that - and a couple of local pet stores welcome my visits - lets their customers see someone who isn't a sales person talking about them. Several times, a person coming in with a fear of snakes - leave with petting one for the first time, and on occasion, holding one.
Baby steps I guess
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
-
Snickers :)
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 58
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:05 pm
- Country:
- Location: Canada
Re: Do you feel....alone?
I completely understand! I'm the only one of my friens in unisveristy and the only one in my sorority with pet parrots and a lizard, none of them understand the joy I get out of my babies!
A bird enthusiast with a skink!
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: Do you feel....alone?
Maybe we should organize a reptile get together. Like a Herpshow - but bring your herps - nothing for sale. Would be nice to meet others...but then again...may be too stressful for the herps.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Do you feel....alone?
Try being a 44 year old Mom
, who bought a BTS for her son for his Birthday, and loved him so much I had to have 1 for my Birthday, now we have 3, and yes most of my friends and family think I am nuts!! I have always been an animal person, but not so much into reptiles. I love my Blueys
Thankfully I have my son to share my infatuation 
Thankfully I have my son to share my infatuation -
sarah
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 67
- Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:32 pm
- Country:
- Location: Indiana
Re: Do you feel....alone?
I have always loved reptiles and I find people more willing to accept my blueys but trying to get them to understand my snakes is a different story.
- Nae
- Forum Graphic Designer

- Posts: 1889
- Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
- Country:
- Location: Western Australia
Re: Do you feel....alone?
Snakes are VERY popular here - Its so weird showing someone who Ive known for years Zeke, only to have them turn around and say something like "Ive got 3 pythons at home! You should come see them someday!" People just dont tend to talk about them.
Its more the fact that I *brought* Zeke that surprises people, considering I could have just gone outside and picked one up!
I spend ages explaining licenses and legalities, rather then about the fact that I keep a reptile!
I grew up with Mazi and the wild shingles, so to my family having Zeke now is not unexpected, instead they are like "Have you looked into a turtle?" or "What are you getting next?".
Most people in general, even if they dont like reptiles, seem to see people who do keep reptiles as people who just want a unique pet and assume that they are nothing more then that to us, a cool show off pet, if you get what I mean? Not as 'weirdos' ~ I guess reptiles are just the norm here courtesy of most people growing up with shingles and such in their yard, and every second person who grew up in the country kept a shingle as a pet while they were a kid at one point.
Its more the fact that I *brought* Zeke that surprises people, considering I could have just gone outside and picked one up!
I grew up with Mazi and the wild shingles, so to my family having Zeke now is not unexpected, instead they are like "Have you looked into a turtle?" or "What are you getting next?".
Most people in general, even if they dont like reptiles, seem to see people who do keep reptiles as people who just want a unique pet and assume that they are nothing more then that to us, a cool show off pet, if you get what I mean? Not as 'weirdos' ~ I guess reptiles are just the norm here courtesy of most people growing up with shingles and such in their yard, and every second person who grew up in the country kept a shingle as a pet while they were a kid at one point.
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Re: Do you feel....alone?
We have three different species of animals, none of which are dogs or cats. That makes it easy for the majority of people to be able to write you off as just weird.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: Do you feel....alone?
El Lobo wrote:We have three different species of animals, none of which are dogs or cats. That makes it easy for the majority of people to be able to write you off as just weird.
I agree and I have the dogs and cat on top of it. 3 dogs, cat, parrot, 20 reptiles, 25 chickens, 2 ducks, etc. People really think I have a problem!
Brad
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Do you feel....alone?
people think im weird enough with out them knowing i even have animals
- Nae
- Forum Graphic Designer

- Posts: 1889
- Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
- Country:
- Location: Western Australia
Re: Do you feel....alone?
I cop more nonsense for owning a ferret and keeping a betta in something more then a glass cube then I do Zeke 
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Re: Do you feel....alone?
ReptileKing wrote:El Lobo wrote:We have three different species of animals, none of which are dogs or cats. That makes it easy for the majority of people to be able to write you off as just weird.
I agree and I have the dogs and cat on top of it. 3 dogs, cat, parrot, 20 reptiles, 25 chickens, 2 ducks, etc. People really think I have a problem!
Because we don't take any of our pets out into the public our only encounters are at vet clinics. Nowadays we have vets who specialise in each species but also see dogs and cats but we can sit in the waiting room and look at the sometimes outnumbered dog and cat people as though they are the weird ones.
There is nothing like being in the waiting room of the avian specialist with 6 or 8 others, all with parrots; although it can at times be a little noisy as the parrots all try to outdo each other.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
-
Snickers :)
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 58
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:05 pm
- Country:
- Location: Canada
Re: Do you feel....alone?
El Lobo wrote:
There is nothing like being in the waiting room of the avian specialist with 6 or 8 others, all with parrots; although it can at times be a little noisy as the parrots all try to outdo each other.
Hahah I completely agree El Lobo, I work at an avian vet and sometimes the birds can be so loud! They just keep carrying on

A bird enthusiast with a skink!
- Alioop
- Loopy De Loop

- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Buffalo, NY
Re: Do you feel....alone?
ReptileKing wrote:El Lobo wrote:We have three different species of animals, none of which are dogs or cats. That makes it easy for the majority of people to be able to write you off as just weird.
I agree and I have the dogs and cat on top of it. 3 dogs, cat, parrot, 20 reptiles, 25 chickens, 2 ducks, etc. People really think I have a problem!
Thats different Brad... you may legitimately have a problem!
My boyfriend never had a single pet while growing up. I don't think his mom ever had a pet in her life. Luckily he's pretty tolerant of the reptiles, goldfish, dog, horses and mice (though he REALLY doesn't like the mice). But his mom is totally grossed out by all of it- thinks I'm a freak of nature, and has more-or-less said that to my face... but WE all know she's the oddball!
I've brought my bts into petstores before- I've had people literally run away from me and then I've had people who were so interested in them that they practically followed me around the store, doting on the skink and asking tons of questions.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-
1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
-Alie-
1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Re: Do you feel....alone?
I know exactly how you feel. I currently have 25 animals including lizards, snakes, and spiders. My lab group (who are NOT my friends) often bully me about it. It has come to the point where I can't actually talk to any of them because they are so mean about how "different" I am. My parents do not approve of my life style even though all my reptiles are happy, well fed, and clean, it places no financial burden on us or them, and they don't have to deal with them. I have a few friends that think my reptiles are "cool" but only two that truly accept them. Most people just think I'm crazy. Luckily I found another crazy person to be married to. I feel increasingly more isolated because a lot of people also do not understand my love of guns but that is entirely a separate issue.
Cay T.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Do you feel....alone?
never bully the gun loving weirdos,lol
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: Do you feel....alone?
Herpers Unite! Like I said - it is those who do not enjoy (or at the very least accept) reptiles that are missing out (aka - weird). It would be cool if there was a list here showing where everyone in the forum are located.
I am in Milwaukee Wisconsin - so if there are any bluey/reptile folks in my area - please feel free to contact me (pm).
I am in Milwaukee Wisconsin - so if there are any bluey/reptile folks in my area - please feel free to contact me (pm).
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Do you feel....alone?
This topic makes me wanna cry.
but i recently gained a BUDDY - to prove im not all alone in the herp world of sweden.
but i recently gained a BUDDY - to prove im not all alone in the herp world of sweden.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Do you feel....alone?
Weird, with how smart Swedes are I'd think you'd all have BTS. Or at least a much higher BTS-to-capita ratio than the USA.
I admit I'm not feeling lonely at all here in the great state of Canukia. I have a local reptile community at which I volunteer as BOD, I have tons of reptile-lovers who I'm getting addicted to BTS, and I have infinite random passerbys to introduce the skinks too so they fall in love. Plus I have Katrina and John sharing the task of breeding to help the BTS hobby, and I have this forum with amazing friends from all around the world.
I admit I'm not feeling lonely at all here in the great state of Canukia. I have a local reptile community at which I volunteer as BOD, I have tons of reptile-lovers who I'm getting addicted to BTS, and I have infinite random passerbys to introduce the skinks too so they fall in love. Plus I have Katrina and John sharing the task of breeding to help the BTS hobby, and I have this forum with amazing friends from all around the world.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 310 guests
