Liking the sound of your voice?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
Country: USA
Location: San_Diego
Contact:

Liking the sound of your voice?

Postby hurricanejen » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Now, I of all people generally try to avoid anthropomorphizing my animals. I really do try hard not to put my own emotions on them, but sometimes it is difficult not to think that there is some level of returned affection there. Tonight I had one of those moments. Bandersnatch, my beloved Northern male, managed to escape his cage a few days ago. Since the apartment is, in general, fairly skink resistant, I wasn't tooooo worried about him being out...Although it was definitely concerning for a few days that he had found somewhere to hide that I could not discover.

Figured it out this morning, when I heard loud scratching noises from inside one of my nightstands...he's been crawling up the back of the drawers and sleeping in them! I couldn't get to him in the back of the drawer at the time I found him, and had to leave for work, so I just closed my bedroom door so he couldn't change rooms and I went to work.

So tonight, I get home, and I can't find him again - he's no longer in the stand by my bed. I've got a second, identical stand in my room, though, and while I can't hear him, I know he must still be in my bedroom somewhere, the door was closed all day. I figure I can just spend the evening in my room anyway, since I've been reading Dante's Inferno, I'll just read it in my bedroom instead of in the living room. To get a better feel for the cadence and flow of words, I've been reading it out loud, and did so in my room as well. After a few Cantos, I glanced over at my night stand...and see this:

Image

Apparently, someone likes hearing Dante! I continued to read out loud for a while, and he stayed with his head peeking out like that until he fell asleep. I stopped reading, he woke up, blinked at me, and then disappeared into the drawer...at which time I quickly opened it, caught him, and put him back.

Probably was more the sound of speech, or just plain talking in general, but I found it neat that he came out not when he thought the room was empty, but when he heard my voice talking (I happened to hear him by chance this morning right before I left - my bedroom had been empty for half an hour or more).

Just a neat story I wanted to share. :)

-Jen
I used to be cool.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Liking the sound of your voice?

Postby Richard.C » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:34 pm

haha,nice jen,curious buggers arent they,look at that bonce hanging out of the drawer :lol:
Jonathan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:57 am
Country:
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Liking the sound of your voice?

Postby Jonathan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:13 am

that's hilarious!!!! Love the picture :D
Mike (Dad)
Jonathan (Son)

Chip - Indo BTS
User avatar
skeetersmom
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
Country:
Location: Milwaukee WI USA

Re: Liking the sound of your voice?

Postby skeetersmom » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:22 am

My Skeeter definately responds to voice - and usually only mine. I have people over all the time, and of course they are introduced to Skeeter.

As an experiment, I have the person go to the enclosure, and say his name like I do in the morning. He dosen't respond to their voice as he does to mine. With them, he just lays there - mine, he looks up - and flicks his tongue. If it is feeding day, he comes out faster than if it isn't.

Same goes with holding him. All my friends are avid reptile people, no not nervous holding him. But he is squirmier with them.

I too don't like putting human emotions on animals - but these guys are not like any reptile I have ever had the pleasure to work with.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Liking the sound of your voice?

Postby LarissaLurid » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:01 am

Reptiles may not be exactly like humans or other animals, but they definitely do have intelligence, recognize people, and have some emotions. :] I see how my skink responds to me and acts more interested in me than other people as well lol.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
skeetersmom
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
Country:
Location: Milwaukee WI USA

Re: Liking the sound of your voice?

Postby skeetersmom » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:30 pm

THANKS! Then I am not as crazy as people think I am when talking about skeeter! :lol:
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
bella3
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm
Country:
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: Liking the sound of your voice?

Postby bella3 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:51 pm

That is so funny! And the pic is adorable to :)
User avatar
skeetersmom
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
Country:
Location: Milwaukee WI USA

Re: Liking the sound of your voice?

Postby skeetersmom » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:13 pm

Does yours tilt his head? Skeeter does (looks like a dog)...precious :)
Last edited by skeetersmom on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
User avatar
missmacabre
Rat Girl
Rat Girl
Posts: 1023
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:31 am
Country:
Location: New Zealand

Re: Liking the sound of your voice?

Postby missmacabre » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:26 pm

That's so cute :) Onyxia definately responds to my voice. He hates the sound of the front door opening coz it creaks abit, I'll get home, open the door and he starts running for his cave until I call out "It's ok, it's only me" and he stops. On the other hand, when he hears my partners voice he makes a run for it :hehe:

Jess <:3 )~
1 male Eastern BTS: Onyxia
1 male Bearded Dragon: Falkor
1 Green and Golden Bell Frog
5 male Rats: Anubis, Ice, Riff Raff, Tobias and Templeton
2 female Budgies: Remy and Emile
1 male Mouse: Archie (aka Mouseman)
User avatar
skeetersmom
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
Country:
Location: Milwaukee WI USA

Re: Liking the sound of your voice?

Postby skeetersmom » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Alas, the reason they are responding to our voice is because they associate it with food - Pavlov's dog response. I don't care, it is still endearing :P
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Liking the sound of your voice?

Postby Linnea » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:37 pm

SO CUTE. i love that photo. it gets a thousand times cuter with a story behind it too. though i wonder, why did he hide again when you went quiet? do they sense when youre out to catch them? xD


definitely food related in a certain northerns case. the tongue flick that comes with the sudden interest is giving him away.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Liking the sound of your voice?

Postby LarissaLurid » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:36 pm

skeetersmom wrote:Does yours tilt his head? Skeeter does (looks like a dog)...precious :)


Mine usually walks up to the glass if he sees me and raises his head up as far as he can. Or if I walk over, same thing, stands up high with his head up looking at me lol. If he's out sometimes he will just randomly run over to me and try to get really close and hide under my clothes and stuff. So cute lol
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
AidanJames1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:39 am
Country:
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Liking the sound of your voice?

Postby AidanJames1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:43 am

skeetersmom wrote:Does yours tilt his head? Skeeter does (looks like a dog)...precious :)

Rex Doesn't come out of his cave when he hears me, I don't think hes been with me long enough too (hes been without me for about 2 weeks), but randomly he does tilt his head like he's confused about stuff. Its very funny and cute.
All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 191 guests