Hand feeding?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
neurotic88
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 88
- Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am
- Country:
- Location: Toronto, Canada
Hand feeding?
Just curious, how many of you are able to hand feed your skinks?
Like berries or treats etc?
Like berries or treats etc?
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Hand feeding?
I can't Blueberry would bite my fingers. I use tongs if that counts for hand feeding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Hand feeding?
I hand feed all of mine, although I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know your BTS very well. My juvenile Northerns can get a bit overly excited, so I am very careful when feeding them not to get nipped. But the rest of mine seem to be very careful when taking food from hands, with most of mine I have no concerns about being bitten. I know I'm just fortunate, lots of BTS won't be this easy to hand feed.
I also don't hand feed very often - so not all interactions mean food. I hand feed just treats, they get regular meals on plates, so they don't associate me completely with food.
Here are a couple older pics. This one especially is just a sweetheart, extremely careful when taking food. She basically waits until I place it in her mouth.
I also don't hand feed very often - so not all interactions mean food. I hand feed just treats, they get regular meals on plates, so they don't associate me completely with food.
Here are a couple older pics. This one especially is just a sweetheart, extremely careful when taking food. She basically waits until I place it in her mouth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
neurotic88
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 88
- Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am
- Country:
- Location: Toronto, Canada
Re: Hand feeding?
awww.. super cute katrina 
-
supersnakeman101
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:32 pm
- Country:
- Location: columbea sc
Re: Hand feeding?
i hand feed blaze alot to develop that pet owner relationship
united we stand divided we fall
P.S i am all over the place sometimes with my post... and sometimes my spelling is bad so just bare with me on that
this is your WARNING !
1.0 merauke
P.S i am all over the place sometimes with my post... and sometimes my spelling is bad so just bare with me on that
this is your WARNING !
1.0 merauke
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Hand feeding?
i feed berries from my palm to litchie, however, i am not able to do like kat and feed directly.
so....with fruits and such i just put them at random places in the terrarium and see if he finds them.
so....with fruits and such i just put them at random places in the terrarium and see if he finds them.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- anchietae
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 170
- Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Western Washington, USA
- Contact:
Re: Hand feeding?
I hand feed my Shinglebacks on occasion. This is as long as I'm offering raspberries, blueberries, or other fruits or vegetables. It's too risky feeding superworms, however. The skinks get really excited and with the "worm" spinning around in my fingers, it's an accident waiting to happen!

Casey Lazik
http://www.reptilia.com
Casey Lazik
http://www.reptilia.com
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Hand feeding?
That picture is just gorgeous! I think that would be a winner for the March photo contest, the red raspberry stands out so perfectly.
I also don't feel live / wriggling food from by hand. No sense in asking for trouble!
I also don't feel live / wriggling food from by hand. No sense in asking for trouble!
- anchietae
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 170
- Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Western Washington, USA
- Contact:
Re: Hand feeding?
Thanks. He really likes his raspberries! 
- Kbell31
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 484
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ohio
Re: Hand feeding?
Cute pics! It took awhile for mine to eat from my hand but she will now and is very gentle about it.
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Re: Hand feeding?
Yeh some of my blotchies - hand feeding takes on a new dimension - finger feeding.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
- Nae
- Forum Graphic Designer

- Posts: 1889
- Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
- Country:
- Location: Western Australia
Re: Hand feeding?
What can I say, unless I run the risk of losing more then a finger, I attempt to hand feed everything 
Wild shingles are certainly not an exception -

(Its a fairly old video - Just click on the picture to watch
)
Edit: Oh and of course Zekes vid! In which he bites me as hes confused as the where the food went
But that didnt hurt at all, and it was the first and last time he has done. Fancy that, been playing with wild shingles since I was little, and I get my first bite from a tiny, captive bred baby skinky!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSahkYyH ... AAAAAAAAAA
Wild shingles are certainly not an exception -

(Its a fairly old video - Just click on the picture to watch
Edit: Oh and of course Zekes vid! In which he bites me as hes confused as the where the food went
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSahkYyH ... AAAAAAAAAA
- anchietae
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 170
- Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Western Washington, USA
- Contact:
Re: Hand feeding?
Cute video. My daughter made me play it a half dozen times. 
- critterguy
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 702
- Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
- Country:
Re: Hand feeding?
Once they get your hand a few times they tend to be much more careful about it. I agree that feeding live food by hand is a good recipe for getting your fingers chomped-but I still do it anyway.
- NennaMeerkat
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 300
- Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
- Country:
- Location: Fort Worth Texas
Re: Hand feeding?
You guys got some great pictures of handfeeding <3 I have hand fed Mr Blue a few times, nearly to get my fingers taken in the process. He just gets SO excited at the treats I give him (usually something like a piece of red meat, chicken, fish) that he bites at anything and everything. I don't think he likes any of the fruit I got enough to eat out of my hand. Hand feeding is a scary affair, but I enjoy offering up my fingers to see a happy excited skink!
- iLoveMyLizard
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 145
- Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: United Kingdom
Re: Hand feeding?
With live worms such as superworms/morios, i find that squeezing them slightly whilst presenting them to my skink often reduces its wriggling. Hold it near its head, squeeze it slightly and its much easier. Dont squeeze too hard though cause then it wont wriggle at all or will pop. When my skink grabs it it often wriggles like hell anyway and then he shakes it like crazy. With me just geting my skink ive tried building trust with hand feeding and its worked brilliantly, hes completely comfortable with my hands in his enclosure now.
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
- iLoveMyLizard
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 145
- Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: United Kingdom
Re: Hand feeding?
Thought i would get a video ot my skink eating a morio, quite calm for him too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPhITdO ... ata_player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPhITdO ... ata_player
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
- SFBlueTongue81
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 85
- Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Hand feeding?
My Merauke is always gentle, whether it's my hands or tongs with a meal worm on them. Here's a video of him eating some egg from my hand. =^w^=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHfQwqAA ... AAAAAAAEAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHfQwqAA ... AAAAAAAEAA
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 257 guests
