blotched female mating cycles

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

blotched female mating cycles

Postby kl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:04 pm

This question is really for the Australian guys. How long after warming up do you notice females becoming receptive to mating? I am getting concerned about the fact that 2 proven breeder females have been unreceptive so far. Both were warmed up on 3/6 I think, maybe 3/5. I've fed each a couple of small meals. I'm keeping them at about 84 to 88 degrees under lights during the days and at night between 65 to 68 degrees, some nights slightly warmer. Do you guys think that 9 to 10 days out of brumation is too soon?

Kim
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Re: blotched female mating cycles

Postby Richard.C » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:32 pm

could possably be to soon kim,how long did it take the others after warming,mine take a while after becoming active,mine are outdoors though,one thing i noticed is females are receptive at different times,though i have different area forms so that may be the issue there,the blue mountains form was first,the vic alpine females wernt hassled for a week or 2 after,exact same conditions,and the lowlands dont show much interest till later again,bluemountains lass has already had babies,the vic alpines arent far off,lowlands last,they all have the same conditions,so its interesting

some females also can skip a year,but if they are in good shape,regained condition before brumation they should be fine,from the pics ive seen of yours they look in great shape,so possably not quite ready yet,the ones of mine that skip a season is usually because they hadnt put condition back on after having bubs the previous season,especially when dropping so late into the season

when i bred them indoors,mine didnt mate till they would have outdoors,like my stumpys do,i warm them up in july or august and they still waited till september oct or as late as november to mate,its still cold and background temps are to at this time here,so even with the heat they arent as warm as when it warms up more outside i guess

but some of yours are already been mating so your conditions are different,which makes me think they are getting close to being ready,have any males shown interest?
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:54 pm

The older males have been very eager to mate but the 2 older females viciously attack back. One older male did get in 4 matings with one of the 2 females that allowed breeding. The 2010 male which mated the first female 11 times and the second female 4 times no longer seems as energized to mate anybody else. He will follow around those 2 older females but never mates them. As soon as I throw those females with the older males, they go crazy. I was trying daily but then I started skipping every other day. I suppose I cannot complain with having just 2 females mated since one yr 2 females produced 11 babies. Wouldn't that be nice this season.

Kim
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:09 pm

Almost without fail for the last few years in Northern Victoria, my Alpines have emerged in later September and mating has started in early/mid November for a limited window, approx. 2 weeks or so - was slightly earlier this year for some reason.

In other words about a month after emerging from brumation. Males are eager earlier. My first year with an adult male on hand was not sucessful cos he was brumated in Southern Victoria and was out of sinc with the females, he tried mating too late. My thoughts are that if they have been kept under the same conditions they should sinc at a similar time. But yes the males may try it on before the females are ready.

I've had 100% breeding success over the last few years with my females, but I don't have the challenges that you do.

Good luck.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:15 pm

that the males are showing interest is a great sign kim,females fighting back sounds to me not quite ready,and male that seems less energised may actually know they arent ready,my best breeder males do squat till the females are ready,even when the other males try for a week or 2,they dont show any interest,then bang,its the oppasite and they dont show interest in anything but the female/s

with non cycling females,the males show zero interest and they are left in peace,very occaisionally they may get chased,but usually by inexperienced young males that chase anything that moves,actually usually other males,lol,but sometimes even juvies get chased
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:26 pm

warmer consistantly earlier this season scott,especially down here,last season my lot didnt start mating till dec 2,this season it was oct the 2nd,,was an odd season last year for me anyways,lol

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”