lifting scales

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
girl4jesus83
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

lifting scales

Postby girl4jesus83 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:13 am

I have recently had a baby and have not been able to take my northern out very much lately. I took him out today and noticed that all the scales on his belly are lifting :shock: . He has a large water bowl that he has been repeatedly knocking over; I have removed the wet bedding every time. He just shed two weeks ago without any issues. He has been eatting fine and has been active. Does he simply need a soak or could it be bacterial? Thanks for all your help!!!
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love

Re: lifting scales

Postby StaceyLeigh » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:36 am

Are the scales on the belly very dry/rough? My Northerns will get very dry bellies, and the scales look like they are lifting a little. I have put humidifiers in both rooms where they are kept, and I mist the substrate (repti-bark). This has helped tremendously and the dryness went away.
girl4jesus83
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby girl4jesus83 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:33 pm

the edges of the scales are actually lifted to half the scales width/length if you rub the opposite direction of the scales, but still flat if you rub along the scale (so no curlng). I am just so worried that my business has cause him pain or even to be sick
Kbell31
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Kbell31 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:23 pm

girl4jesus83 wrote:the edges of the scales are actually lifted to half the scales width/length if you rub the opposite direction of the scales, but still flat if you rub along the scale (so no curlng). I am just so worried that my business has cause him pain or even to be sick

Im sure it has nothing to do with that, atm mine has some rough belly scales, if I get time I will just soak her in a lukewarm bath w maybe a couple drops of olive oil being sure to dry her well.
Can you get a picture of your skinks problem area?
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:42 pm

It sounds exactly like what StaceyLeigh said - sometimes tummy scales get dry and lift somewhat, I'd try adding a humid hide or keeping the substrate a little moister to see if that helps. :D
girl4jesus83
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby girl4jesus83 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks everyone! I found a larger size water bowl (at lasagna container actually) to help increase humidity and gave him 3 5min soakings over one day. His tummy is looking much better! So relieved that it is not bacterial!!!
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love

Postby StaceyLeigh » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:27 pm

Glad you found the problem.

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”