Hello,
I'm not sure if this is where introductions, but it seemed like a good place to start. My name is Thomas and I'm from southwestern Missouri. I don't currently have a blue-tongue skink, but I am looking into getting one. I've always been a big herpetology nerd, collecting and keeping reptiles all of my life, but it was only recently that I've had my first hands-on experience with a blue-tongue at a local pet shop. I find them to be very intelligent, docile animals, and I would love to add one to my menagerie. I look forward to discussing these fascinating creatures with you all.
New Member from Missouri
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
ozarkskink
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 6
- Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:59 pm
- Country:
- Location: Goodman, Missouri
-
A.VinczeBTs
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 133
- Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newmarket, Ontario
Re: New Member from Missouri
I'm newer as well! Welcome!
It's a very nice place here, friendly people and good info.
It's a very nice place here, friendly people and good info.
-
ozarkskink
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 6
- Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:59 pm
- Country:
- Location: Goodman, Missouri
Re: New Member from Missouri
Thank you!
I also have a question to post. Has anyone here had success training their blue-tongue, such as target training? I searched the forums and was unable to find any threads relating to training blue-tongues. I would love to hear about training techniques/experiences!
I also have a question to post. Has anyone here had success training their blue-tongue, such as target training? I searched the forums and was unable to find any threads relating to training blue-tongues. I would love to hear about training techniques/experiences!
- Nae
- Forum Graphic Designer

- Posts: 1889
- Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
- Country:
- Location: Western Australia
Re: New Member from Missouri
Welcome! Ive been here for quite some time now, and still dont have a bts! 
In regards to target training, have a chat with WanderingChai, I believe she was quite successful with her Teacup
In regards to target training, have a chat with WanderingChai, I believe she was quite successful with her Teacup
- NennaMeerkat
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 300
- Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
- Country:
- Location: Fort Worth Texas
Re: New Member from Missouri
Hello from Texas (you won't get no howdy from me!). Hope you can get your own BTS soon they are a total joy to have! And don't be afraid to ask questions around here. There are plenty of nice people that don't mind answering almost anything that comes to mind.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: New Member from Missouri
Welcome!!!
I haven't done any target training with my blueys, but I did read an interesting article a while ago about reptiles and how some have been shown to have learn from watching. I posted about it a while ago, because I thought it was fascinating - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17176&p=363880&hilit=reptile+cognition#p363880 You might find it kind of interesting. Wanderingchai will hopefully have some input on target training.
I haven't done any target training with my blueys, but I did read an interesting article a while ago about reptiles and how some have been shown to have learn from watching. I posted about it a while ago, because I thought it was fascinating - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17176&p=363880&hilit=reptile+cognition#p363880 You might find it kind of interesting. Wanderingchai will hopefully have some input on target training.
-
ozarkskink
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 6
- Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:59 pm
- Country:
- Location: Goodman, Missouri
Re: New Member from Missouri
Thanks for the welcomes everyone!
@Nae: Thanks for the tip! I'll have to get ahold of her!
@NennaMeerkat: Lol, I almost put "Howdy y'all!" when I made my first post, but I didn't know how people would react. I've spent some time down around Kerrville in the Texas hill country, and I fit right in with my southwestern Missouri slang and accent.
@Katrina: Thanks for the article! It is very interesting. I've heard a lot about training monitor lizards, and a little on training iguanas, but practically nothing on training blue-tongues.
I am looking forward to one day getting a blue-tongue. I remember finding native skinks here as a kid, even finding a big pair of adult male Broadheaded Skinks (Plestiodon laticeps) fighting on top of the woodshed (that makes me sound old, I'm only 20!).
@Nae: Thanks for the tip! I'll have to get ahold of her!
@NennaMeerkat: Lol, I almost put "Howdy y'all!" when I made my first post, but I didn't know how people would react. I've spent some time down around Kerrville in the Texas hill country, and I fit right in with my southwestern Missouri slang and accent.
@Katrina: Thanks for the article! It is very interesting. I've heard a lot about training monitor lizards, and a little on training iguanas, but practically nothing on training blue-tongues.
I am looking forward to one day getting a blue-tongue. I remember finding native skinks here as a kid, even finding a big pair of adult male Broadheaded Skinks (Plestiodon laticeps) fighting on top of the woodshed (that makes me sound old, I'm only 20!).
- smex14
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 36
- Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:40 am
- Country:
- Location: Birmingham, UK
Re: New Member from Missouri
Hi Thomas!
I'm Bex from the UK. Nice to meet you
I own an Indonesian that I got froma lady who couldn't really look after him, I had seen only one in a pet shop and fell in love but couldn't afford him...a few months later and I was offered mine for free! Ain't it the life.
Anyways, I can certainly tell you this is an amazing place, I have learned so much since being part of this community!
Hope you get a bluey soon
I'm Bex from the UK. Nice to meet you
I own an Indonesian that I got froma lady who couldn't really look after him, I had seen only one in a pet shop and fell in love but couldn't afford him...a few months later and I was offered mine for free! Ain't it the life.
Anyways, I can certainly tell you this is an amazing place, I have learned so much since being part of this community!
Hope you get a bluey soon
1 Indo BTS - Sigs
1 Herman's Tortoise - Maris
1 Stuart's Milks Snake - Errol
2 Labradors - Busta & Dre
4 Chickens - Scarlett, Gwyneth, Catherine & Victoria (RIP Audrey)
1 Herman's Tortoise - Maris
1 Stuart's Milks Snake - Errol
2 Labradors - Busta & Dre
4 Chickens - Scarlett, Gwyneth, Catherine & Victoria (RIP Audrey)
- Kbell31
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 484
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ohio
Re: New Member from Missouri

When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
- NennaMeerkat
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 300
- Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
- Country:
- Location: Fort Worth Texas
Re: New Member from Missouri
ozarkskink wrote:@NennaMeerkat: Lol, I almost put "Howdy y'all!" when I made my first post, but I didn't know how people would react. I've spent some time down around Kerrville in the Texas hill country, and I fit right in with my southwestern Missouri slang and accent.
I actually grew up in Mississippi but because I married a Army man we have moved quite a bit. Moved to Kansas right after getting married and everyone I met asked me if I was from overseas or something. Guess I had/have a heavy accent! Right now living in Ft Worth and I do not like the crowdedness of the city. Hopefully before the end of this year we will be moving to Vernon which is barely a blip on the map.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 351 guests
