Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- SFBlueTongue81
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 85
- Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco
Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
Ashe after shed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 Northern BTS
- Kbell31
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 484
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ohio
Re: Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
Love the light colors!
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
- Roheryn
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 399
- Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:04 pm
- Country:
- Location: Netherlands
Re: Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
She's so light! Love your setting, are those all fake plants?
each day's a gift, not a given right.
- SFBlueTongue81
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 85
- Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco
Re: Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
Thanks!! yes the plants are all fake. I really wanted to have real ones, but I knew it wouldn't work with humidity and make changing the substrate awful. I do have to say i'm pretty pleased with how real they look though; half are from PetCo and the rest I ordered off LLL reptiles
1 Northern BTS
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
Gorgeous!! Love the light colors and the enclosure looks great. 
-
vm88
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:41 pm
- Country:
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
Re: Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
Looks great! My Hans is very light colored too. Isn't 9.5' a bit short for a 6.5 month old northern? Hans is 18' and the same age. 
- SFBlueTongue81
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 85
- Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco
Re: Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
Thanks!!
I'm not sure if that's small for 6.5 months? I re-measured and got 10.5" so maybe she wasn't stretched out all the way before. I know she was born near the end of july.
I'm not sure if that's small for 6.5 months? I re-measured and got 10.5" so maybe she wasn't stretched out all the way before. I know she was born near the end of july.
1 Northern BTS
- SFBlueTongue81
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 85
- Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco
Re: Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
How big was Hans when you got him?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 Northern BTS
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
10.5" at 6.5 months seems a bit small. Ember(a Northern) who was also born the end of July, is 17". We also have a Northern named Thor who is 9 months old, and 19" long.
-
vm88
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:41 pm
- Country:
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
Re: Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
Hans was around 8" when I got him. He was almost 2 months old.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
I wouldn't worry too much about length and age. Just make sure the skink is healthy and no hip bones / backbone is poking out.
There captive baby skinks will be much, much larger than their wild counterparts (and CBB skinks with a new owner who feed them all the time will be larger than CBB babies still with a breeder who has lots of mouths to feed and less time!) but it doesn't mean it is healthier or better. There is no rush to get them to adult size, in the wild it would probably take 2-3 years rather than 10-12 months. As long as the skink is healthy it doesn't matter if it takes a while longer to grow. Just keep offering healthy meals and don't worry if your baby is smaller than most others his age.
Kira was always tiny and I was so worried that he was not healthy because he didn't eat much and was always small. Now, at 4.5 years he is over 23"... but it took him 3-4 years to get to that size, he was only around 18" at 12 months. He also brumated for several months the first winter - panic for a brand new mom!
He was only about 9" going into brumation, but all worked out well.
Kira was always tiny and I was so worried that he was not healthy because he didn't eat much and was always small. Now, at 4.5 years he is over 23"... but it took him 3-4 years to get to that size, he was only around 18" at 12 months. He also brumated for several months the first winter - panic for a brand new mom!
- SFBlueTongue81
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 85
- Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco
Re: Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
I just realized with the timeline Hans and Ashe (kipper) are brother/sister from the same batch?! I saw Hans name on the BTS.net website he's the same one right?
Thanks Katrina! Ashe seems to be doing great so I'm not too concerned. Ashe ate today like I hadn't fed her in 3 months even though it's only been a day! I'm far more concerned with her becoming obese at this point than growing too slowly lol.
thanks!
Thanks Katrina! Ashe seems to be doing great so I'm not too concerned. Ashe ate today like I hadn't fed her in 3 months even though it's only been a day! I'm far more concerned with her becoming obese at this point than growing too slowly lol.
thanks!
1 Northern BTS
-
vm88
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:41 pm
- Country:
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
Re: Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
Yup! That's the same Hans. That's awesome though and definitely explains the light coloration. Hans is a bit darker though, more of a caramel coloration than a tan/gold.
- SFBlueTongue81
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 85
- Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco
Re: Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
Very cool! Have you posted pics of him yet?
It seems like mine is very light indeed, that's why I decided on Ashe from the pale colors, I also think It might be a girl, but maybe it's too small to show the hemipenes still?
It seems like mine is very light indeed, that's why I decided on Ashe from the pale colors, I also think It might be a girl, but maybe it's too small to show the hemipenes still?
1 Northern BTS
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
Let's see sibling pics!
I love comparing BTS from the same parents.
-
bella3
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 354
- Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ontario Canada
Re: Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
He is so beautiful! Do you have any others?
- SFBlueTongue81
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 85
- Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco
Re: Ashe (N.BTS) after shed & terrarium!
Thanks! nope just the one, maybe someday but I just don't have enough space to house two right now.
1 Northern BTS
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 215 guests
