Stomatitis in Indonesian Skinks

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Gene0514
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Stomatitis in Indonesian Skinks

Postby Gene0514 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi everyone!
I volunteer at the local zoo and they have had an indonesian blue tongue for over 14 years i believe. He has been suffering from what I now know is stomatitis. He has the crusted up, closed up eyes, the crusty mouth, and the loss of toes. I've noticed from reading threads on here that people have had success treating it to an extent. The zoo has not had such luck, so I decided to ask if anyone here can tell me the medications and doses that they gave that resulted in an improvement of their skink's condition. If you could also list the vet that prescribed the meds, that would be great. I am hoping that the skink can finally get the right medication that it has desperately needed for a long time.
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Re: Stomatitis in Indonesian Skinks

Postby El Lobo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:22 pm

This is probably as good an article as there is regarding stomatitis.

One thing I have noted is an abx Amikacin is listed as one of the recommended abx. I have read on another forum a few exotic vets are reluctant to prescribe for anything other than a very short course because it can have rather severe renal implications. Given the slow metabolism of reptiles a longer course of abx is generally prescribed which would make me uncomfortable with using Amikacin, but that is only a personal view. A culture and sensitivity test is as always the most effective means to determine which abx and this article describes a recommended procedure to obtain the sample.

Perhaps the zoo vet might consider contacting a veterinary teaching institute for advice.

http://www.anapsid.org/stomatitis.html
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Gene0514
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Gene0514 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Thank you for the link
I looked at some old threads on this forum and from what I understand, the skink does not have just stomatitis, but that the stomatitis is a symptom of I'm assuming a systemic infection. His eyes are inflamed and crusty to the point of being completely closed up, many of his toes have fallen off, and he has the crust around his mouth. Is there some sort of treatment for this condition that would help? Or would the treatments for the stomatitis improve it?
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Maybe you could try contacting Dr. Stahl in Virginia. This guy is suppose to be one of the best reptile vets in the business. Type in his name on your computer and his site should come up. He use to do telephone consultations for a fee.

KL

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”