Medical Issue - Northern Eye Swollen?

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Re: Medical Issue - Northern Eye Swollen?

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:36 pm

Alright, have some new photos of Skids's mouth from today. I've sent these to the vet too (she asked to see them). Skids seems stronger than he was, but he's still very lethargic compared to normal. His eye is still buggy, and the scales above his mouth are discoloured. The inside of the mouth looks a bit better to me, but maybe I'm just less shocked this time. I'll be calling the vet again tomorrow to see if we'll be going back in for a biopsy and a closer look now that he's a bit less limp. He's a good patient, and is taking his meds like a champ <3
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Karen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:15 pm

Poor guy, that doesn't look fun at all. Hopefully the eye issue is just pressure from the inflammation and not something on its own.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:33 pm

Close to the nose the lip looks like it is rotting!?!?!
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:53 pm

poor thing! I'm glad hes on antibiotics, i hope you can get results from that biopsy. Please keep us updated!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby WanderingChai » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:58 pm

Poor guy. I hope all is well and he bounces right back. Sending love <3
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:20 pm

Update on Skids. On the meds his strength returned steadily and the rot on the bottom of the mouth disappeared, but the top part of the mouth didn't completely go and the dark spot on the outside of his lip got worse (darker, sunk in). My vet said it was likely necrotic and it might "slough off". Thankfully from about the 12th it started to lighten and fill in again. Because the first 2 weeks of baytril obviously helped a ton he's got another 2 weeks of it. His attitude is about back to normal and today he even took a swing at me when I reached in to get him :) It's good to have him awake and fighting again.

I've been taking tons of pictures every couple days to document what's going on, and I've been sending them to the vet. The only thing that hasn't really improved is his bulgy eye. The vet said it looked like the part behind/under the eye had swollen, and she's asking other vets for suggestions. If the second round of meds doesn't fix him up we'll probably need more tests. But with the great improvement he's had so far I'm happy and hopeful.

Pictures can be seen here: http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29 ... an%202012/

From today:

As always suggestions and opinions are much appreciated and will be discussed with my vet.

The other 3 skinks are doing really well. There's no more signs of illness and the 2 IJs, who woke up easily while sick, started trying to sleep again once they felt better. Clue and Skids are both wide awake and ravenous.
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist

Postby Coomassie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:54 am

How is his eye? From the picture it still looks pretty swollen. Any idea how extensive the infection still is?
Cay T.
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Karen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Still no idea what caused this? I hope he pulls through alright and heals up soon.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight

Postby Fatal_S » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:26 pm

Alrighty, another update on Skids. The vet was right and the necrotic section did slough off without issue. He now has a hole in the side of his mouth but there's no sign of infection. I wonder if it'll grow back at all. He's back to his usual ornery self and thus I couldn't get pictures inside his mouth today, but I looked and it's all pale pink. His eye is still swollen, so I'm asking the vet her opinion about that. Right now he's healthy, he just looks more dorky than ever.

I have to say though, he's doing really well considering part of his lip is missing. He's attacking me, chowing down on his food, and he even seems to appreciate the new tongue-hole:

He's a total derp and I love him <3

As always, I still welcome thoughts and opinions, especially regarding his eye.
Scooter_in_Kindergarten
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Scooter_in_Kindergarten » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:03 pm

First, thank you for such an updated and informative time line of events on your li'l skink. Poor guy, I'm glad to see he is doing better.
Second, about the eye; It seems to be bulging out quite a bit. With my skink's recent eye surgery, the vet had first pushed the prolapsed 3rd eyelid behind the eye hoping it would correct itself and the vet said that they eye was bulging out so much due to the swollen gland that he had to remove it. Could it be possible that your skinks gland (not sure the medical term but it produces tears) is very swollen and is causing the bulging. Like my skinks was when it caused the prolapsed 3rd eye and my vet pushed the gland back behind the eye; it's just that your skink's gland is still behind his eye and causing the bulge. Does that make sense?
Scooter_in_Kindergarten
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Scooter_in_Kindergarten » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:05 pm

Also, I wanted to give you a pat on the back for being so good to your skink, and getting it the care that it needed :)
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby WanderingChai » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:28 pm

The bottom of his mouth looks amazing!

I wonder what is causing the swelling... Can skinks get allergies(Just thought I'd through that out there)?
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:39 pm

Wow - derpy little guy for sure! Looking much better though, I'm amazing how that mouth healed. The pics are just great. Thanks for this really informative thread, I wish I could help!
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re:

Postby Susann » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:15 am

El Lobo wrote:Bacteria may also travel up what is called the hardarian duct, a pathway connecting the inside of the mouth to a sinus near the eye.

I still keep thinking about this Hardarian duct that El Lobo mentioned. Could be some inflammation still inside the tissues around the sinus and eye maybe?
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:29 am

hey Mel good to see your guy is getting the help he needs. So what your saying is that I was right in the first instance :hehe: :doh:
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:43 am

The tongue and mouth are looking similar to the little wildie I found a year ago.

DSCF1778C.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”