Hi.

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueBird
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:43 pm
Country:
Location: Canada

Hi.

Postby BlueBird » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:48 pm

First off. I don't own any blueys but my daughter does. (Phaemas) and I wanted to see for myself this site. I have a few questions for you guys though.

So I know my daughter hasn't said anything but I know she's thinking it. How would you breed two blue tongues? I've read over the care sheet and so has she and I don't get a thing it's trying to say. How do you brumate them? The acctual breeding? What do proper breeders do? I'm going to supprise her by allowing her to breed her skinks if she wants to (but I doubt she can actually do it) but I want to know what happens first.
Last edited by BlueBird on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Hi.

Postby Bird_Brain » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:08 pm

Breeding is something to be taken seriously. If you dont know what your doing or not paying attention, your skinks could very easily loose a limb, tail, or even their life. It is a very stressful event for not only the skinks, but the owners themselves. The female can be beaten up pretty badly by the male and will have many bite wounds. While most of the time they heal just fine, occassionally you will run into issues with infection and healing.

Then you have the risk of the gravid/pregnant skink. Just like a pregnancy in any animal, it is very stressful on the mom. You can have all sorts of issues from calcium deficiencies to labor issues.

You also have to realize that you can have anywhere from zero babies up into the teens. that is a lot of mouths to feed and again, if anything goes wrong, more vet bills.

Respectable breeders put a lot of time and effort into the selection of their animals. Typically they do not just buy from petstores or off online classified sites such as Kijiji with out knowing the history of the animal. Most will pair skinks up with similar looks. They do not just throw any two skinks together.

To be honest, allowing phaemas to breed her skinks is no better than backyard breeders in dogs. They are only out there for the money or "cute babies". They are doing nothing for the species themselves, just for their own selfish wants.

Lastly, I am goign to choose not to share specifics on how to breed as I feel she is not ready for such a responsibility. Also, the proper term is called Brumation, not brumbation. I do find it interesting that both you and your daughter have the same spelling errors. Are we sure its not the same person?
Brad
BlueBird
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:43 pm
Country:
Location: Canada

Re: Hi.

Postby BlueBird » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:27 pm

I can assure you it's not for the money. And no, We are not the same person.
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Hi.

Postby Kurt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:28 pm

the care sheet seems clear and very detailed to me...
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Hi.

Postby Bird_Brain » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:32 pm

Not sure why you edited your original post and correct the way you spelled "brumate" but it does show at the bottom that it was edited. Also, looking at her older posts, she misspells "acctual" as well. Very ironic that you both have the same spelling errors. Must "run in the family"?
Brad
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Re: Hi.

Postby Karen » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:38 pm

Call me cynical, but it seems convenient timing this shows up around the time that phaemas started asking about breeding, and she has created another account before.

Whether phaemas or indeed her mother, please take to heart the advice Brad has given you. So much damage can be done by irresponsible breeding, and she already has two lovely skinks to enjoy. The main focus should be on giving them the best life possible, not adding babies into the equation that might fall victim to inexperience.
Last edited by Karen on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
A.VinczeBTs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
Country:
Location: Newmarket, Ontario

Re: Hi.

Postby A.VinczeBTs » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:39 pm

Both "you and your daughter (phaemas)" seem pretty intent on learning about breeding even though she said "it's not the plan". Sounds like it really is the plan, and she sounds like regardless of what anyone thinks she's going to do it anyway... Which really is not a good sign of responsibility to begin with...
I personally don't think she should be breeding her Blues at all, due to the fact they look nothing alike. I'm not into muts, we should be trying to preserve the diversity.

I know nothing about breeding, and I won't for years and years to come, but really it sounds dangerous, are you ready and willing to pay vet bills should multiple (always prepare for the worst) things go wrong?
BlueBird
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:43 pm
Country:
Location: Canada

Re: Hi.

Postby BlueBird » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:41 pm

You seem to not like me very much.If me being on here is causing a problem I can leave and get my information somewhere else.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Hi.

Postby Bird_Brain » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:45 pm

A.VinczeBTs wrote:Sounds like it really is the plan, and she sounds like regardless of what anyone thinks she's going to do it anyway... Which really is not a good sign of responsibility to begin with...

This has been a constant problem with phaemas. Always asking for advice and then completely ignores everything that is said by the experienced members.
Brad
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Re: Hi.

Postby Karen » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:46 pm

This is a site for learning how to responsibly care for Blue Tongue Skinks. Brad gave you the opinion of someone experienced with BTS that it would not be responsible for phaemas to breed her skinks, there is no bias against you personally. You are of course free to choose to listen or not, but you should be aware of the risks associated with ignoring those who know what they are doing.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Hi.

Postby Bird_Brain » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:49 pm

BlueBird- While I hardly use it, skype me and prove to me that you are indeed her mother. My skype is bradselig.
Brad
BlueBird
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:43 pm
Country:
Location: Canada

Re: Hi.

Postby BlueBird » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:52 pm

I took into mind what he said and did not chose to ignore it. I know of the risks of missing tails,Legs, bad wounds, infections. And that They should not be left unattended.
User avatar
Kbell31
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
Country:
Location: Ohio

Re: Hi.

Postby Kbell31 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:00 pm

If you cannot understand a thing the caresheet is saying then that would be your first indication your family should not be breeding skinks. Responsible breeders devote an enormous amount of time, energy, effort and money breeding their very specifically chosen animals. They know the ins and outs, pros and cons from everything from the best case scenario to the worst. I doubt they learned everything they know from reading something onine. They have had skinks for years in most cases. I would not consider letting your daughter breed skinks a "surprise". A surprise is a g/c to the movies or going out for ice cream lol
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Hi.

Postby Linnea » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:10 pm

the reasons not to breed are as following:

- the skinks are too young
- the skinks are too different
- the skinks have no confirmed gender, but are both assumed males. no skink babies, even if the skinks may fancy eachother.
- the breeder (phaemas) has too little experience

assuming you dont have twenty skink tanks at home, you wont be able to sell the babies at random, it can take quite some while, and if you keep them together for too long, even for a week or a month depending on the skinks, several of the babies may end up fighting and have grave injuries that wont heal. further making it harder to sell them. what would you do about this?

now about breeding. do you know what blueys look like when they fight and when they breed? can you tell the difference in good time?
if not, and if they fight to death/injury, what will you do?

you seem unaware of that failing to breed skink can result in death and not just a little bite in the side. you never know with skinks, that is why the breeders are so very careful.

what if you get twenty babies born with serious defects so you cant sell them? do you have the money prepared to let them sleep peacefully, or the money to care for them all for the rest of the life?
Last edited by Linnea on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Hi.

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:14 pm

I honestly think they are both male.
:welcome:
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: Hi.

Postby El Lobo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:36 pm

This is a wild blotchy who lives in our backyard and was gravid at the time of the picture. If you look you can see the scale damage caused by mating. Keep in mind this is a mature wild skink who knows how to take care of herself and has the freedom to choose (within reason) a male to mate with. A forced captive mating is likely to incur a great deal more damage than this example. As with humans, some animals of the same species simply do not like each other and will fight. There is no worse combination than an over-amorous male and a non-receptive female.

DSCF1198CR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Kbell31
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
Country:
Location: Ohio

Re: Hi.

Postby Kbell31 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:41 pm

El Lobo wrote:This is a wild blotchy who lives in our backyard and was gravid at the time of the picture. If you look you can see the scale damage caused by mating. Keep in mind this is a mature wild skink who knows how to take care of herself and has the freedom to choose (within reason) a male to mate with. A forced captive mating is likely to incur a great deal more damage than this example. As with humans, some animals of the same species simply do not like each other and will fight. There is no worse combination than an over-amorous male and a non-receptive female.

DSCF1198CR.jpg


What are we looking at here exactly? To the untrained eye, like mine, are the damaged scales where previous wounds were the dull gray ones?
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
User avatar
RosiePosie06
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm
Country:
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Re: Hi.

Postby RosiePosie06 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:05 pm

I just assume that BlueBird/Phaemas, whoever I'm talking to is sick of advice from people who actually do have more experience. So how about someone with less than you? I've had my darling baby bluey for only eight days, and even I agree that you should not breed your skinks.

I've always been involved in animals, and I know how disastrous breeding without education or purpose can be. I don't know much about how it effects the lizards themselves, but it's a horrible thing to bring into an industry. Grade horses, over-breeding of dogs, these things lead to unwanted animals. Not to mention prices in each industry can be very much effected by a surplus of "grade" animals. Those that make a living off of their animals shudder to see irritants like mixed-breeding or uneducated breeding that goes wrong.

Experience, EXTENSIVE research, and a knowledge of what makes a good match are just the basics. There's so much more that goes into breeding ANY animal.
"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help." --Steve Irwin

Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Hi.

Postby Bird_Brain » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:15 pm

RosiePosie06 wrote:I just assume that BlueBird/Phaemas, whoever I'm talking to is sick of advice from people who actually do have more experience. So how about someone with less than you? I've had my darling baby bluey for only eight days, and even I agree that you should not breed your skinks.

I've always been involved in animals, and I know how disastrous breeding without education or purpose can be. I don't know much about how it effects the lizards themselves, but it's a horrible thing to bring into an industry. Grade horses, over-breeding of dogs, these things lead to unwanted animals. Not to mention prices in each industry can be very much effected by a surplus of "grade" animals. Those that make a living off of their animals shudder to see irritants like mixed-breeding or uneducated breeding that goes wrong.

Experience, EXTENSIVE research, and a knowledge of what makes a good match are just the basics. There's so much more that goes into breeding ANY animal.

Where is that darn "Like" button?
Brad
User avatar
RosiePosie06
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm
Country:
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Re: Hi.

Postby RosiePosie06 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:19 pm

Where is that darn "Like" button?


You just made my day! I was reading a post here just a minute ago and started looking for the like button... then I realised this isn't Facebook. :shock:
"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help." --Steve Irwin

Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 178 guests