Stuck aspen
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
ShortStack
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 47
- Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:53 pm
- Country:
- Location: Florida
Stuck aspen
I keep my bluey, Coby, on aspen for his bedding, and when I cleaned out his tank tonight I took him out for a bit and noticed something right on the outside of his mouth. From what I can tell, since he wasn't a fan AT ALL of me trying to look at it, I think he has a small piece of aspen stuck, maybe under a scale. I can't remember if it's the shredded or shaved aspen that's the larger pieces, but whichever it is, that's what he is on. I tried getting a picture but because he kept moving, they were all blurry. Should I try a pair of tweezers and see if I can remove it? Would it help with pictures? If so, I can see if I can get someone to hold him while I take it and maybe between the two of us we can keep his head still enough so that it's clear. It doesn't look irritated or infected (thank goodness!) and just looks like there's a splinter there, more or less. I have been thinking of changing him onto a new type of bedding anyways because I'm not of the aspen, but if this is really a piece of aspen stuck, then I for sure am. He loves to burrow so that's probably how it happened, and I would hate for it to become something that happens regularly.
0.0.1 Northern BTS(Coby), 0.1 Iguana(Spice), 3.1 Dogs(Ali, Duke, Bo, and Daisy), 1.1 BP's(Snickers and Laila), and 0.1 Corn(Candy)
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Stuck aspen
It doesn't sound like anything I'd worry about. Leave it alone, definitely don't poke at it with tweezers. If it is there in a day or two, try wiping it off with a damp washcloth. This really isn't a big deal, no need to get rid of aspen because of something little like this! It is probably not stuck under a scale. Don't worry!
They all love to burrow - if stuff got lodged under scales causing huge problems, then none of them would survive in the wild.
They all love to burrow - if stuff got lodged under scales causing huge problems, then none of them would survive in the wild.
-
ShortStack
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 47
- Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:53 pm
- Country:
- Location: Florida
Re: Stuck aspen
Whew. Thank you because I was in panic mode as soon as I saw it. I was thinking if I left it, then it would get infected, and then he would be sick and yeahhhh, you get the idea, lol. If you can't tell, I'm a fairly new bluey mom still, haha.
0.0.1 Northern BTS(Coby), 0.1 Iguana(Spice), 3.1 Dogs(Ali, Duke, Bo, and Daisy), 1.1 BP's(Snickers and Laila), and 0.1 Corn(Candy)
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Stuck aspen
It's ok - we were all there once!
It is good that you care enough to check.
- Kbell31
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 484
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ohio
Re: Stuck aspen
This just happened about a week ago to my skink. I had shaved aspen and I noticed a splintery looking piece on the side of her mouth. It looked stuck under a scale as you are referring to. I just grabbed it and pulled it out. Didnt need tweezers but I have long nails. It did seem to be lodged in there a bit but it didnt seem to bother her one way or the other. Im sure if I left it be she would have managed on her own or the next shed it would have came off. Kat is right, sometimes we tend to meddle in the ways of nature thinking we are helping out, but honestly skinks like all creatures have gotten along just fine without us for a long long time! A lot of animals would be much better off today if we had never gotten involved with them in the first place unfortunately.
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
- Scooter_in_Kindergarten
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 152
- Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
- Country:
- Location: Central Florida
Re: Stuck aspen
Sorry to hear about your poor BTS. It might come out on it’s own . . . or after his/her next shed?
I haven't had any aspen stuck in my lizard’s scales, BUT, after a costly eye surgery my Vet suggested not to use it anymore because he thinks it was the cause of the eye problem.
I haven't had any aspen stuck in my lizard’s scales, BUT, after a costly eye surgery my Vet suggested not to use it anymore because he thinks it was the cause of the eye problem.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 365 guests
