lighting question

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Anderous
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:01 pm
Country:
Location: Gresham Oregon

lighting question

Postby Anderous » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:12 am

i was just wondering what the opinion on here is regarding what kind of UVB bulb to use. I know reptisun is the best but does everyone use 5.0 or 10.0?
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves.

The three core values of American society: Lying, Cheating, and stealing.
cguarino30
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:07 am
Country:

Postby cguarino30 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:26 pm

I would recommend going with lower UVB output. I use the Zilla bulbs (which are measured in microwatts, not percentages) and use the 25 microwatt bulb, which is supposed to be similar to the amount of UVB light that an animal would receive if it lived in a forested, jungle, or otherwise partially shaded habitat. Since the general consensus on blueys seems to be that UVB may help, but that they don't necessarily need tons of it, I would recommend the lower wattage, since too much UVB can cause damage to retinas and other problems. At least, that is my understanding. I know many people (a much younger me included) that kept BTSs for years with little to no UVB and were successful, so a lower wattage (25 microwatts, or 2.0-5.0 percentage) should be plenty.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:05 pm

IMO, I would provide the highest. From the research and studies I have seen, fluorescent bulbs in general put out a bare minimum amount of UVB. MVB produce much greater amounts of UV which have proven to be safe to use with BTS. I would have no fear of using the 10.0 fluorescent bulbs.

As to the retina issues, I believe this was the compact fluorescent bulbs produced by one manufacturer. The issue with these bulbs have been corrected.

Lastly, what ever you choose to go with, ALWAYS follow the directions on the package.

Edit: Ok I htought I was done. Remember that with using fluorescent UV bulbs, you do not want screen to be placed between the fixture and the animal. You typically need to install these inside the cage at the height the manufacturer recommends.
Brad
User avatar
Anderous
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:01 pm
Country:
Location: Gresham Oregon

Postby Anderous » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:53 pm

yeah, i actually have a screen top which i cut to the size of the fixture, then use wire and duct tape to affix it to the top of the cage. it works pretty good. anyway, thanks so much for the input. from what the two of you said, seems like they would do well with either

oh, and you are correct, it was the coil uvb that was causing eye problems
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves.



The three core values of American society: Lying, Cheating, and stealing.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:56 pm

from what I have experienced, bts do well with both, not providing UVB as well as providing UVB. I typically dont use UVB, however, I have one skink that has a MVB. I actually find that skink to be more active than all the others. Obviously this is a scientific way or a 100% guarantee that UVB is the reason why. Its just something I have observed with that skink.
Brad
User avatar
robere
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:28 am
Country:
Location: Kentucky

Postby robere » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:49 pm

Another alternative...I used hardware cloth ( instead of screen ) on my enclosure top so it wouldnt affect the UV ...:)


ReptileKing wrote:IMO, I would provide the highest. From the research and studies I have seen, fluorescent bulbs in general put out a bare minimum amount of UVB. MVB produce much greater amounts of UV which have proven to be safe to use with BTS. I would have no fear of using the 10.0 fluorescent bulbs.

As to the retina issues, I believe this was the compact fluorescent bulbs produced by one manufacturer. The issue with these bulbs have been corrected.

Lastly, what ever you choose to go with, ALWAYS follow the directions on the package.

Edit: Ok I htought I was done. Remember that with using fluorescent UV bulbs, you do not want screen to be placed between the fixture and the animal. You typically need to install these inside the cage at the height the manufacturer recommends.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:02 pm

robere wrote:Another alternative...I used hardware cloth ( instead of screen ) on my enclosure top so it wouldnt affect the UV ...:)

Doesnt affect it as much! It will still be interfere with the rays, but not as much as window screen type material. Ideally you want nothing between the bulb and the skink, but if that is not possible then yes I would do the same as you.
Brad
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:24 am

I've used hardware cloth too (I think? The metal mesh with 1/2 holes). Since my finger fits through, pretty sure most of the UVB can too :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 156 guests