I'm planning on bringing home my bts in a few months and just trying to budget properly so I'm taking a kind of 'poll'.
How old is your BTS?
How much do your feed your BTS a week?
What is included in the diet you feed?
Thanks for the help everyone!
How much does it cost you to feed your BTS a week?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- skiblits
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:20 am
- Country:
How much does it cost you to feed your BTS a week?
Turtles make great pets... or soup!
- skiblits
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:20 am
- Country:
- Almostinsane
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 88
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:10 am
- Country:
- Location: Canada, Ontario
I spent a maximum of 20 dollars a month. I am thinking more around 10-15. I use Wellness Adult chicken Formula, and I get my dandelion greens from outside in the summer, so obviously it will cost a bit more in Fall/Winter/Spring months when the snow is still on the ground. I would just write down the amount that you spend for the first few months and figure out for yourself. some skinks eat more than others.
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
I feed Coomassie bugs, greens, chicken, and a pelleted diet. The bugs I raise. The greens I buy for $2.99 a bag (they are mixed collard, kale, and mustard) and it feeds Coomassie, the roach colonies, and my leopard tortoise Herbert. The chicken is a little bit from what my husband makes for dinner. And the pelleted diet costs about $30 with shipping and a bottle last me about 9 months. So, I don't know what that adds up to exactly but I think it is probably less than $2 a week.
Cay T.
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
about $15 (give or take) a month for 4 blueys here...
~1 month~
*big can of pedigree with chopped beef x2 ($3)
*1 big bag collard greens x1 ($3)
*zucchini squash x2 ($4)
*whatever bugs i have on hand plus random skink-edible table scraps and fruit ($5)
my goal is to get a roach colony going and superworms at some point too...
~1 month~
*big can of pedigree with chopped beef x2 ($3)
*1 big bag collard greens x1 ($3)
*zucchini squash x2 ($4)
*whatever bugs i have on hand plus random skink-edible table scraps and fruit ($5)
my goal is to get a roach colony going and superworms at some point too...
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- WanderingChai
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 627
- Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: New York
I have one skink who is 1 and almost 5 months old. I spend a maximum of $5 a month on her. I still live with my parents and we eat all-organic food almost all the time, so I just take whats on hand. Right now she's costing me nothing to feed, because I can just go out to our garden and pick fresh organic greens.
I just use earthworms right from the ground. We have never used any chemicals of any sort in the ground for as long as we have lived here (4 1/2 years) and I personally think its safe.
I just use earthworms right from the ground. We have never used any chemicals of any sort in the ground for as long as we have lived here (4 1/2 years) and I personally think its safe.
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
- reaperreptiles
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 298
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hephzibah, GA
I only feed once a week for my adults so about max $3 a week for them. Beetlejuice eats every day so a little more on her, probably max $6 for her until i move her to every other day feedings. I feed wellness food as well, its a great food having no grains or gluten and being full of veggies and fruits. I mix in extra greens when I feed wellness and a large bag of veggies cost me about $1 a month. I give a few crickets here and there to beetlejuice to keep up her interst and food drive but i already have those in large amounts for my chameleons.
-Cheyenne (thats shy-anne)
0.1 caramel northern(Toblerone/Toby for short)
0.0.1 caramel northern(Mr.Tubbins)
0.0.1 northern (Beetlejuice)
0.1 caramel northern(Toblerone/Toby for short)
0.0.1 caramel northern(Mr.Tubbins)
0.0.1 northern (Beetlejuice)
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Litchie is 1 year and 3 ½ months old
i feed every third day, the amount is like a jar lid or sometimes bigger
dog or cat food, applaws and gold are good brands that Litchie likes, mixed with veggies. the veggies are almost always ruccola ( aragola? ) and some nutricional and less nutricional salad sorts that are available in sweden. everything but iceberg lettuce and spinach
oh, and calcium/vitamin dust. since our veggies are imported i add vitamins in the calcium powder.
the food costs me about 8 sek per feeding, thats 0.8 euro. if its applaws then its more like 1.5 euro per feeding.
i feed every third day, the amount is like a jar lid or sometimes bigger
dog or cat food, applaws and gold are good brands that Litchie likes, mixed with veggies. the veggies are almost always ruccola ( aragola? ) and some nutricional and less nutricional salad sorts that are available in sweden. everything but iceberg lettuce and spinach
the food costs me about 8 sek per feeding, thats 0.8 euro. if its applaws then its more like 1.5 euro per feeding.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 360 guests
