How much does it cost you to feed your BTS a week?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
skiblits
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:20 am
Country:

How much does it cost you to feed your BTS a week?

Postby skiblits » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:26 am

I'm planning on bringing home my bts in a few months and just trying to budget properly so I'm taking a kind of 'poll'.
How old is your BTS?
How much do your feed your BTS a week?
What is included in the diet you feed?

Thanks for the help everyone!
Turtles make great pets... or soup!
User avatar
skiblits
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:20 am
Country:

Postby skiblits » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:31 am

I forgot to add the important questions.

How much does it cost you a month?
Turtles make great pets... or soup!
User avatar
Almostinsane
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:10 am
Country:
Location: Canada, Ontario

Postby Almostinsane » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:17 pm

I spent a maximum of 20 dollars a month. I am thinking more around 10-15. I use Wellness Adult chicken Formula, and I get my dandelion greens from outside in the summer, so obviously it will cost a bit more in Fall/Winter/Spring months when the snow is still on the ground. I would just write down the amount that you spend for the first few months and figure out for yourself. some skinks eat more than others.
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:58 pm

I feed Coomassie bugs, greens, chicken, and a pelleted diet. The bugs I raise. The greens I buy for $2.99 a bag (they are mixed collard, kale, and mustard) and it feeds Coomassie, the roach colonies, and my leopard tortoise Herbert. The chicken is a little bit from what my husband makes for dinner. And the pelleted diet costs about $30 with shipping and a bottle last me about 9 months. So, I don't know what that adds up to exactly but I think it is probably less than $2 a week.
Cay T.
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Postby Spindown » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:22 pm

about $15 (give or take) a month for 4 blueys here...
~1 month~
*big can of pedigree with chopped beef x2 ($3)
*1 big bag collard greens x1 ($3)
*zucchini squash x2 ($4)
*whatever bugs i have on hand plus random skink-edible table scraps and fruit ($5)

my goal is to get a roach colony going and superworms at some point too...
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:15 pm

I have one skink who is 1 and almost 5 months old. I spend a maximum of $5 a month on her. I still live with my parents and we eat all-organic food almost all the time, so I just take whats on hand. Right now she's costing me nothing to feed, because I can just go out to our garden and pick fresh organic greens.

I just use earthworms right from the ground. We have never used any chemicals of any sort in the ground for as long as we have lived here (4 1/2 years) and I personally think its safe.
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Postby reaperreptiles » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:39 pm

I only feed once a week for my adults so about max $3 a week for them. Beetlejuice eats every day so a little more on her, probably max $6 for her until i move her to every other day feedings. I feed wellness food as well, its a great food having no grains or gluten and being full of veggies and fruits. I mix in extra greens when I feed wellness and a large bag of veggies cost me about $1 a month. I give a few crickets here and there to beetlejuice to keep up her interst and food drive but i already have those in large amounts for my chameleons.
-Cheyenne (thats shy-anne)

0.1 caramel northern(Toblerone/Toby for short)
0.0.1 caramel northern(Mr.Tubbins)
0.0.1 northern (Beetlejuice)
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:20 pm

Litchie is 1 year and 3 ½ months old

i feed every third day, the amount is like a jar lid or sometimes bigger

dog or cat food, applaws and gold are good brands that Litchie likes, mixed with veggies. the veggies are almost always ruccola ( aragola? ) and some nutricional and less nutricional salad sorts that are available in sweden. everything but iceberg lettuce and spinach ;) oh, and calcium/vitamin dust. since our veggies are imported i add vitamins in the calcium powder.

the food costs me about 8 sek per feeding, thats 0.8 euro. if its applaws then its more like 1.5 euro per feeding.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 330 guests