Scale and stool problems...( Stool pics)

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Roan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Scale and stool problems...( Stool pics)

Postby Roan » Wed May 25, 2011 10:51 am

Im not sure wats wrong with my IJ Indi please idetify what wrong with the scale on his mouth... and recently he started to poo diferently not solid but not complete liquid here are some pics..
-At some point or another we realize that we dont own our pets they own us!-
Roan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Roan » Thu May 26, 2011 5:24 pm

has no one ever seen this before?????
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Thu May 26, 2011 5:47 pm

Is the skink still having runny poos? Sometimes my skinks have a bad day, so if it's not lasting I don't worry. But if the skink always has problems and/or is losing weight, something's up. What's his diet like? Any changes recently? Are you feeding much fruit/eggs? Has he been tested for internal parasites?

I'm not sure about the scale, I've never seen it before. Has he always had it? I can't tell from the picture, but does it looks sore or anything? I see a bit of a darker outline on the bottom, which might be a sore, but could be dirt? If it's like the other scales but just wonky, I wouldn't pay much attention. If it seems to collect dirt/food, I'd clean it off after food. When he sheds, does it shed normally?
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Thu May 26, 2011 6:19 pm

I wouldn't worry about one or two runny poops. It probably is just something different that you fed that he isn't used to. Wait a little while before worrying, if this becomes the norm or they are really watery / smelly then you should see a vet. But just one isn't unusual.

As far as the scale - looks pretty minor. If it looks to be only superficial and there isn't damage or sore spots on the inside of the mouth then I'd feed non-wet foods for a while and see if it heals up on its own.
Roan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Roan » Thu May 26, 2011 6:22 pm

im starting to think the poo was so messy becuse of the squash once i stoped feeding squash its starting to get less runny... as for the scale ive been looking at it, its not getting better or worse he dosent like his mouth being touched but its hard not squishy or anything I saw in his mouth while eating and it dosent look like its getting infected. his last shed was good and the scale thing didnt apear till a while after the shed maybe he tryed eating a rock and lie crushed it and its just swollen?? im goind to contiue watching it.. but i hope its nothing...
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby reaperreptiles » Sat May 28, 2011 1:55 pm

It looks like he ate something hard or rubbed his face on something and somehow pulled the scale up a little bit. I had an indo a while back that always rubbed his face on the tiles after eating. He managed to loosen a couple of his scales on his face and they looked similiar to this. One of the scales never truly healed all the way but the others, after a few sheds, tightened back up. Kinda like when you get your fingernail caught or it pulls up a little. hurts alot until it tightens back down. As for the poop, when my skinks eat to many veggies they sometimes have poops like this.
Adalon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Adalon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:51 pm

Eggs, banana and crookneck squash give Adalon similar poops, though they still tend to come out in one pile and have some form to them. I don't know what makes it more solid, but I don't ever feed him just one item in his meal.

I don't know if this is what's going on with your skink, but Adalon had a couple odd looking formations around his mouth that he would scrape against a slate tile so much that I had to remove it for a while.

I am about 90% sure that they were caused by eating a snail; the slime was all around his mouth, probably wasn't cleaned well and hardened which caused him to start rubbing against things to get it off. A lot of it didn't come off with a warm damp wash cloth and he managed to do a little damage to one of the scales under his mouth. Two weeks later though he shed and the formations were gone and the scale damage looked alot better.

A few months and a few more sheds later, his scales all look completely normal. :)

Pics of the mouth damage from 01/15/2011:

Pics of healthy mouth :D from 05/24/2011:
• 1.0.0 Marauke (Adalon)
• 2.0.0 Western Fence lizard (Cotton, Flax)
• 1.1.0 Tokay Geckos (Cyril, Hypatia)

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”