New to site, Tank set up?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

New to site, Tank set up?

Postby StaceyLeigh » Fri May 20, 2011 6:30 am

Hi I am new to the site. As a family we are planning to purchase a skink over the summer. My youngest son has been researching about them for almost a year and would like one for his 10th Birthday, he is very excited! We are a big pet loving family and have had our share of different pets over the years, but we are new to skinks.

I have a question about tank set up, particularly lighting? We have purchased a 40 gal. long tank with screen top. From what I have read it looks like I need a heat lamp, and a UVA/UVB light? Can I put 1 at each end of the tank? For that size tank, what size bulbs? I have seen so many different answers to this question, I am now confused about lighting!
Thanks for helping.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Fri May 20, 2011 6:45 am

With a 40gal tank, a 60 watt would *probably* be enough. Really you just have to play around iwth the temps (which I recommend before you get the skink). For the heat lamp, ANY incandescent bulb will work. This includes the 4 pack of standard house bulbs at Walmart for $1. UVB light is up to you. It will not hurt, but not shown to be necessary for BTS. There are keepers who have used it for many years with no ill effect with their skinks, as well as keepers never using UVB and their skinks also show no ill effects. My best advice is to do your own research on this and do what you feel comfortable with.

It would depend on the type of UVB bulb where you would place it. If its the long tube type fluorescent, then obviously it will run the length of the cage. If you use the compact fluorescent, they I would place it near the basking area as that is where the skink will spend the majority of the day. If using MVB, then you have no choice and it will be with the heat.
Brad
User avatar
MissMeg
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
Country: Canada
Location: Sooke,BC

Postby MissMeg » Fri May 20, 2011 7:19 am

You could also maybe think of mercury Vapour bulbs. They are a bit pricey but in my opinon worth it :D
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Fri May 20, 2011 7:24 am

I would set up the 60 watt bulb and monitor the temp for a few days. If you need more heat, you could get an Under The Tank heater (UTH). I have one for Coomassie and it does a good job supplementing heat.
Cay T.
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Fri May 20, 2011 7:47 pm

I found this light Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture (it has room for 2 bulbs, one for heat, one for UV) has anyone used these? Would it work? Trying to make this as simple as possible.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Fri May 20, 2011 11:51 pm

Keep in mind UVB doesn't pass through mesh-screens. Obviously if the screen has bigger gaps, the UVB waves go through, but flyscreen almost completely blocks it.
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Postby critterguy » Sat May 21, 2011 12:20 am

Also note that it can be harmful to one's eyes to look directly at UVB bulbs(though the level produced by reptile bulbs should be no more than natural sunlight). It should mention this on the packaging. UVB will pass through window screen but a good portion of it is blocked. Enough passes through though that it is still worthwhile to maintain reptiles in screen enclosures outdoors.

I've used/use the simple Zoomed or similar brand basking lamps. I'd reccomend one of those, sized appropriately for your enclosure(you want to be able to achieve 90-100 degree surface temperatures in an area big enough to fit your skink's body). Smaller lamp can be compensated for by having basking area closer to lamp/heat source.

Heat pads also work great-I've read of a few people using them as the sole heat source for BTS-but the general consensus amongst keepers is to provide a source of radiant light/heat. These are pretty tough animals so the choice is yours with whatever you feel most comfortable with.
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Sat May 21, 2011 6:09 am

ok now I'm more confused? I do have a screen top on the reptile tank we purchased. What do people use for the UVB light? I don't know how I would get a light under the screen top? I'm sorry if I seem clueless about the lighting issue, I have had numerous Saltwater and freshwater tanks, but obviously the lights go outside.
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Postby Alioop » Sun May 22, 2011 5:20 pm

You just set the UVB lamp on top of the screen, same with the heat lamp. UVB isn't necessary as long as you're supplementing with Calcium and D3.

And welcome from a fellow central NYer!
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Sun May 22, 2011 6:26 pm

Alioop, Your not far from me, I'm near Utica, thanks for the welcome. This is really my son's project , but I am trying to learn with him!

I decided to use this light Compact Fluorescent Lamp 26W Repti Glo 10.0 Desert, in a dome type fixture for UV, and a Basking Light, also a dome type fixture. I've read on here that 10 can be a bit much and hurt the BTS eyes, but it will be on the outside of the screen top, and I can clamp it above a few inches, so it will be about 20" above the skink. I would think this would be safe. Opinions?
User avatar
Hopeful_Herper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:08 pm
Country:
Location: Elk Grove, Ca

Postby Hopeful_Herper » Mon May 23, 2011 8:37 am

I have a 10 UVB bulb on top of my tank with a mesh screen and it works well.

I'm new at this but you really should fine as long as you can get the basking spot to the 90's and keep the rest of the tank from getting to cold.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
-Mark Twain
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 pm

I have another question about decorations, specifically plants in the tank? Do they have to be artificial or could you use real plants? Also can you use any artificial, or do they need to be something bought at a pet store for reptiles?
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Mon May 23, 2011 8:59 pm

I buy artificial plants where ever they are on sale/cheap. Be it the dollar store, craft store, pet store, etc.

Live look nice, but will not stay nice when you have a "tank" running all over them.
Brad
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Tue May 24, 2011 5:22 am

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:59 pm Post subject:
I buy artificial plants where ever they are on sale/cheap. Be it the dollar store, craft store, pet store, etc.

Live look nice, but will not stay nice when you have a "tank" running all over them.

Great point Brad, This is our 1st BTS, so I didn't think of the wear and tear issue! Off to Johann's or Michaels!
WeatherMan_Tom
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 10:27 pm
Country:
Location: New Yorl

Postby WeatherMan_Tom » Tue May 24, 2011 10:12 pm

Real plants will also raise humidity, which skinks do NOT need.
SHiZ-niBBlE-Bam-SNiP-sNaP-saCk
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Tue May 24, 2011 10:29 pm

WeatherMan_Tom wrote:Real plants will also raise humidity, which skinks do NOT need.


Well, partially true. The part about raising humidity is true. But not all blueys are from dry environments. Check the humidity levels year round in most parts of Indonesia where Indos and Meraukes are from - usually >80%. Real plants aren't recommended for quite a few reasons, but some BTS do better with high humidity. :wink:
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Wed May 25, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks for the input on the plant, we will stick to artificial. My son and I found a fern, and an interesting looking fake cactus to add to the new home.
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Wed May 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Ok, You have all been very helpful, so I have another question. What is the best substrate for a young bts (about 1 month old). Do you use different things for younger vs adults? I had bought some Repti-bark, but now I am worried that will be too rough for a young one?
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Wed May 25, 2011 2:13 pm

You might want to to put a new baby on paper towel for a little while just to be completely sure that they are pooping ok etc, but you don't really need to. Repti-bark would be just fine - you just might freak out as a new mom because you can't find any evidence of poop! :lol:

But don't worry too much - little babies do just fine in the wild so they don't need any extra pampering when in captivity. :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 383 guests