pink in the belly area

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
dush
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

pink in the belly area

Postby dush » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:47 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the forums. I just wanted to ask a question about BTS's going slightly pink in the belly. I know that if it's constantly there it's a sign of infection but do they go slightly pink normally just under a bit of stress too? Or is it always indicative of an infection?
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:50 pm

Pink bellies are completely normal on some skinks, a sign of increased bloodflow on some others, and a sign of infection sometimes.

If you post a picture, someone might be able to tell you which you're dealing with.
Tattoo
BT Beldam
BT Beldam

Postby Tattoo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:14 am

Could be just the natural turn of colors that appear thru the shed process. Does your buddy seem to be sick?
The Crone ∞

1.0 Northern BTS - Tattoo
0.1 Indonesian BTS - Annubis
0.0.1 Silver Tanimbar - Mantic
dush
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby dush » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:01 am

Thanks guys!

My bluey was sick a couple of months ago. He had a septicemia but with heaps of antibiotics and fixing a few husbandry issues he got better. The vet said that his white cell count was coming down. I had actually not been aware of the pinkness before his illness and perhaps I used to think it was normal. However, he does seem to go slightly pink from time to time now when I pick him but it's not all the time so I'm hoping that's just due to a bit of stress or excess blood flow.
My lil fella has never been a big eater but he does still eat a bit but hardly moves around. It's winter here in Australia so he might be in a bit of a hibernation even though the temperature in his cage is constantly 28-32o C.
I got Azure (my bluey) from a pet shop and I didn't think he was kept really well at the place (which was one of the reasons I bought him also). He may have always been a slightly stressed skink but I'm not sure.
I tried to take a picture yesterday but he wasn't pink then hehe and the pictures didn't come out that well because he was moving around so much. I'll try again later. But thanks heaps for your replies!! =)
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:56 am

Under-skink heating, like heat mats, cords, rocks, often cause burns. Be sure to have a top-down source of heat, like a light globe or ceramic heat emitter, as these are better for reptiles. Just a suggestion ...

You may already have this in place. Consider checking the temperature of the basking surface area, as the rock of tile he is basking under, even under a light or top-down heat source, may be getting too hot.

These are prime causes for pink bellies, which is an unusual shade for a native blue tongue in Australia, except perhaps the blotched and some easterns, depending on their location. They can get slight variations, but since it is varying, like blushing, it may be heat related and the fact it is less right now, in winter, meaning overall temps in the enclosure are lower, this may be the cause for your blushing beauty.

Welcome to the site. Looking forward to pictures.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:56 am

If you have an Indonesian species, it is very common for them to turn pink/red underneath at times. The color can actually change fast enough that you can see it changing. It seems to be related to a heightened sense of alertness. It happens sometimes when I pick mine up, and always happens when I put two of them together.

I also have one northern in particular that turns pink at one point in the shedding process.

I have no idea what is going on with your skink, but it is possible that it is completely normal.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:38 pm

Jeff, in reference to your above statement, in South Australia and I think most Australian states and territories, it is illegal to keep exotic (non-Australian) reptiles.

We really need some pictures to help you forther on this one, Dush.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:44 pm

Sorry, I didn't notice your location! Of course you don't have an Indonesian skink. I would love to see a picture of your skink as well. Like I said, I have a northern that turns pink before she sheds. I never noticed this until she was about 2 1/2 though. I had since she was a baby, but I only noticed the pink in the last year. It goes away immediately when she sheds.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
KyleWeiss
Minister of Propaganda
Minister of Propaganda

Postby KyleWeiss » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:07 am

Rollie is a very light-colored Eastern, and his belly gets quite pink when it's shedding time, too, if that matters any. :D
Goodbye, BTS.net -- We've had to good times. I do hope someone else will come along and make it the lovely community it once was.
Jenn
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby Jenn » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:08 pm

My northern also gets a pink belly when he is about to shed.
1.0 Northerns Christopher

:blueyprint:
Kalawah
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: pink in the belly area

Postby Kalawah » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:04 pm

Hello I got my meruke blue tongue about 2 months ago and recently it’s neck has turned red! I noticed it yesterday and I’ve been looking everywhere trying to see if it’s normal or not. It has recently shed and it came out of hiding yesterday and seems to be acting normal, eating and drinking. Everywhere I look says the belly can turn red but this is only it’s neck! It’s belly is black with tan spots. Please help me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: pink in the belly area

Postby splashy07 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:02 am

Completely normal for the species.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”