cooking chicken

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Dragontears
Thousand Teardrops
Thousand Teardrops

Postby Dragontears » Sun May 20, 2007 2:14 pm

PetCo actually sells Spots Stew
Tigergenesis
The Blue Bayou
The Blue Bayou

Postby Tigergenesis » Sun May 20, 2007 2:42 pm

Dragontears wrote:I can honestly say that I feed primarily Spot's Stew to my guys. I mix in squash, greens and berries, but for the protein, they mostly get Spot's Stew. For me, this is just the easiest thing to do since both my husband and I are vegetarians so we don't buy things like chicken and other meat. (although I make an exception and buy chicken for the babies when we have them)

I do offer various worms on occasion, but I have never offered snails since I'm worried about parasites. If I could find people-grade snails for sale, I'd buy them or if I could find some land snails around I'd try those as well.

Renee, do you find much Chicken in the cans you buy? Every can I get barely has any chicken in it. When I do use it I still mix in other greens/veggies and add the Mazuri Ominivore chow.

Spots Stew is sold at a a chain of stores in our state called Pet Supplies Plus. Here's their site if anyone wants to look for a location in their state: http://petsuppliesplus.com/

I've also found it at some people health food stores in our area

0.1.1 Irian Jaya – “Princess Phoebe” and “Adrian”
0.0.1 Northern – “Piper”
0.0.1 Eastern – “Wyatt”
1.0.0 Kei – “Green Grissom”
1.0.0 Merauke – “Bayou”
Dragontears
Thousand Teardrops
Thousand Teardrops

Postby Dragontears » Sun May 20, 2007 6:51 pm

there's a bit of chicken and I figure since I have all adults, that it works out about right. That's also the reason behind getting the chicken for the babies since they need more protein.
Tigergenesis
The Blue Bayou
The Blue Bayou

Postby Tigergenesis » Sun May 20, 2007 6:52 pm

Dragontears wrote:there's a bit of chicken and I figure since I have all adults, that it works out about right. That's also the reason behind getting the chicken for the babies since they need more protein.

I just think it's funny they even mention Chicken in the name with what little bit is in there. :)

0.0.1 Northern – “Piper”
0.0.1 Eastern – “Wyatt”
1.0.0 Merauke – “Bayou”
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman

Postby Bird_Brain » Sun May 20, 2007 7:22 pm

I have been to 2 different Kroger stores (90miles apart) and they both carry Spots Stew.

Kelly and Renee- I noticed the lack of chicken in the cans also. I did get one can that had a bunch of huge chucks of chicken. I was so excited lol.
Brad
Shellyjean
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Shellyjean » Sun May 20, 2007 9:23 pm

I'll have to check out Krogers. We don't have any pet store chains OR health food stores within 2 hours drive from us. :nono: Krogers is only 45 minutes drive, lol. Sucks living in the boonies sometimes. But hey, we got good ole Walmart right out the road of course! :roll:
Avatars are like shoes to me. Even though I can only wear one pair at a time, I always have a closet full!
Omega
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Omega » Sun May 20, 2007 10:18 pm

So this stew is a good veggie and sort of meat source? I had heard of it, but wasn't sure how much it usually runs in pet stores.
-Omega (Kyle v2.0 ;))
• 0.0.1 Indo BTS (born 3-15-07)
• 0.1 Dog (border collie + bernese mnt dog + ?)
• 0.0.20+ Cichlids/plecos
thesilverbeast
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby thesilverbeast » Sun May 20, 2007 11:19 pm

i keep reading this thread as "cooking children"

EVERY time it confuses me.
deftones2015
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby deftones2015 » Sun May 20, 2007 11:22 pm

The petco here sells it, but it is fairly expensive. I use it somewhat but still mix in squash and greens. I feed a lot of worms as well. I can't find snails too much around here, they come and go in spurts. Even when I do find snails he wont even look twice at them unless I crush the shell for him.
Brian
Omega
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Omega » Sun May 20, 2007 11:43 pm

thesilverbeast wrote:i keep reading this thread as "cooking children"

EVERY time it confuses me.

wait, that isn't what this thread is about? :shock:

hehe, I hate when my brain fills in words for me too.
-Omega (Kyle v2.0 ;))

• 0.0.1 Indo BTS (born 3-15-07)

• 0.1 Dog (border collie + bernese mnt dog + ?)

• 0.0.20+ Cichlids/plecos
Tigergenesis
The Blue Bayou
The Blue Bayou

Postby Tigergenesis » Mon May 21, 2007 2:59 am

It's a good high-quality food, but yes you'd still need to mix in other veggies and it doesn't contain greens. As Renee said for babies they'd need more meat. For adults what little chicken is in it is enough for them. However, I just want to again stress variety, freshness and a more 'natural' diet. It should not be the only form of meat or vegetables.

0.0.1 Northern – “Piper”
0.0.1 Eastern – “Wyatt”
1.0.0 Merauke – “Bayou”

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”