*Revived thread: Skink's Favorite Fruit???

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
zennygirl
The Artist
The Artist

Postby zennygirl » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:35 pm

puppydog loves mangos and blueberries. it's the only two things (other than snails) that he will always eat if it's in front of him. he will not eat banana or any other kind of berry.

1.0 irian jaya blue tongue skink "pup D"
1.0 ball python "alfy"
0.0.1 fire skink "worm"
0.1 irian jaya carpet python "quimby"
1.0 tangerine honduran milksnake "skippy"
1.1 crested geckos "sepal" and "bract"
0.0.1 african giant millipede "schwartz/pede 2"
0.0.1 aviculara versicolor tarantula "cuddle biscuit"
0.1 german shepard/husky/wolf "kaia"
0.0.2 gold fish

Tigergenesis
The Blue Bayou
The Blue Bayou

Postby Tigergenesis » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:53 am

0.1.1 Irian Jaya – “Princess Phoebe” and “Adrian”
0.0.1 Northern – “Piper”
0.0.1 Eastern – “Wyatt”
1.0.0 Kei – “Green Grissom”
1.0.0 Merauke – “Bayou”
zennygirl
The Artist
The Artist

Postby zennygirl » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:26 am

interesting! though there is some inflicting iinfo. one says snakes can see some color and one says they are all colorblind.

1.0 irian jaya blue tongue skink "pup D"
1.0 ball python "alfy"
0.0.1 fire skink "worm"
0.1 irian jaya carpet python "quimby"
1.0 tangerine honduran milksnake "skippy"
1.1 crested geckos "sepal" and "bract"
0.0.1 african giant millipede "schwartz/pede 2"
0.0.1 aviculara versicolor tarantula "cuddle biscuit"
0.1 german shepard/husky/wolf "kaia"
0.0.2 gold fish

Tigergenesis
The Blue Bayou
The Blue Bayou

Postby Tigergenesis » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:26 am

The term 'colorblind' is a bit misleading/confusing. If a person (and it seems it also applies to animals?) is colorblind it does not mean they can't see any colors; therefore, seeing only in black and white. It just means they don't see all the colors that you or I do. They generally have difficulty seeing certain colors, so their range of colors is less than ours.

0.0.1 Northern – “Piper”
0.0.1 Eastern – “Wyatt”
1.0.0 Merauke – “Bayou”
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada

Postby Zach » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:05 pm

That is interesting! So it sounds like blue tongues can pratically see most colors...according to those sheets that is...

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)
Tigergenesis
The Blue Bayou
The Blue Bayou

Postby Tigergenesis » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:19 pm

Maybe PB can see her red food! I swear she's partial to red foods (even darker reds like grapes and raspberries).

I wonder if there is a difference in seeing an actual object of color (say a red book or red ball, etc) versus a red colored light?

0.0.1 Northern – “Piper”
0.0.1 Eastern – “Wyatt”
1.0.0 Merauke – “Bayou”
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada

Postby Zach » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:40 pm

I wonder... Slurpy seems to be able pick out red strawberries without tasting them... :roll:

Freya's Uncle
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Freya's Uncle » Sun May 13, 2007 9:54 am

For starters, let me say that I don't actually HAVE a BTS, my girlfriend's friend/friend's girlfriend (she's both :P) has one.

That being said, I don't KNOW about them seeing or not seeing red light, etc. but I DO know that red light disrupts your visual purple (I'll explain that in a sec, if you haven't heard the term) the least in humans, so that may be the same for lizards such as Blue-tongues, assuming they can see it at all.

a search on Wikipedia reveals that visual purple (or rhodopsin) is the photoreceptor that allows night vision. It's INCREDIBLY sensitive to light, and white light bleaches it instantly. In humans, it takes about 30 minutes to regenerate it. If anyone happens to be an astronomer, or even just a star-gazer, that would be why it's recommended to use red-light for reading any documents outside while waiting for a particular event, and why you should shield your eyes when a car drives by :P.

So with all of that being said, I'm ASSUMING that if BTSs can see red light it's just the one that disrupts their vision the least, which is why if you need a night-time basking light, it's got to be red/infrared.

If anyone sees anything wrong with my info, let me know :)
Dragontears
Thousand Teardrops
Thousand Teardrops

Postby Dragontears » Sun May 13, 2007 10:12 am

wow! Another revived thread! :shock:
evil pixie
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby evil pixie » Sun May 13, 2007 10:30 am

Wow... this thread is 3 yrs old. No need to revive an old post like this!
The Humane Society took Michael Vick's pit bulls, asked for public money to help them, then decided it would be best to kill them... adopt from No Kill shelters http://www.roas.petfinder.com

•Blue - Northern BTS
•Severus - Silver Tanny
•Cheyenne - Pit Bull/Lab
•Sunny - Pit Bull/Beagle
•Gryffin & Tucker - Kitties
Lucifer_Spades
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Lucifer_Spades » Sun May 13, 2007 12:32 pm

Blueberries for sure I can hand feed Quigly almost anything and he's very nice and gentle about takin it except blueberries I tried those and he almost took my finger off just cuz it smelled remotely like them he also likes grapes particularly the Giant red globes with seeds not so much on apples or strawberries haven't tried much else yet was waiting on the text food charts I finally got Thanks again Kyle :D
~*Luce*~
The original Ginger-Ninja! Ka-pow!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0.0.3 Irian Jaya
Mizu, Izuru, and Battosai (On a Canadian Cruise)

0.0.1 Tanimbar Island
Toulouse (On a Canadian Cruise)

1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
2.2.0 Kids-Kira, Tiernan, Chayton, and Esmé(aka "The Heathen Hoard" or " The HHH Club")
kvega92
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby kvega92 » Sun May 13, 2007 8:24 pm

Blueberries are tinks. He goes crazy
Love till the ends of your fingertips.
alphamale
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby alphamale » Sun May 13, 2007 9:19 pm

Tigergenesis wrote: I swear she's partial to red foods

Red also does the trick for most of my skinks!
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada

Postby Zach » Sun May 13, 2007 9:23 pm

PLEASE, please read the rules of this forum before posting! This is also just general forum etiquette for any web community. Thanks very much.

"• Please DO NOT revive old threads! This is incredibly confusing because when someone writes in a topic, that topic is brought back to the top of the forum. People open and read the topic thinking it's current news when it's actually information posted months or sometimes even years past. Generally, threads 2 months or older we ask be left alone. "

http://bluetongueskinks.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=333

Brigget
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Brigget » Sun May 13, 2007 10:56 pm

well blue wont hardly eat anything fresh he is picky but lilly my new one has already scarfed down apricots, papaya, and banana today she loves fruit. I went crazy at the grocery store today, i got kiwi, mango, apricots bananas, papaya, cherries, and strawberries. they are gonna be in heaven for awhile. (anyway to keep fruit fresher longer?)
rubyslprgirl
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rubyslprgirl » Sat May 19, 2007 10:02 pm

Apollo's favorite fruit is without a doubt.....Papaya. He cant ever seem to get enough of it. Its the only food that I believe he can smell when I walk into the room with it. LOL
Blotch
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Blotch » Sun May 20, 2007 10:02 pm

Tigergenesis wrote:The term 'colorblind' is a bit misleading/confusing. If a person (and it seems it also applies to animals?) is colorblind it does not mean they can't see any colors; therefore, seeing only in black and white. It just means they don't see all the colors that you or I do. They generally have difficulty seeing certain colors, so their range of colors is less than ours.

In actual fact, The more appropriate term would be Colour Deficient. I know this because this is what I am. I can't tell the difference between certain shades of differing colours. Example: certain shades of blue and Purple, Red and brown, yellow and green. It's really annoying cuz people look at you like you're some kind of moron. In regards to the above statement about seeing black and white - this is true - colour blind people do not see in b&w, they just see ALL colors differently. Like I am with blues and purples etc.. they are with Everything. You should see me trying to pick out ripe bananas, quite amusing i've been told!

PS -> Like my Avatar? hehehe It's a band pic before any of you think i'm a poseur. I'll change it when i take a really good pic or zach finds my old one.
~|=|>-

"you want what!? where!?"

2.1.0 T.S. Intermedia (Kimberleys)
1.0 T.S. Intermedia (N.T.)
6.0.3 T. Nigrolutea (VIC Lowlands)
3.1.11 T. Scincoides (VIC & NSW)
deftones2015
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby deftones2015 » Sun May 20, 2007 11:16 pm

Mine seems to be picky with fruits he loves banana but other than that he doesn't really eat much when i tried melons, nor strawberries, doesn't seem to like apple either lol weird huh? :chin:
Brian
Leigh
Leigh of the Law
Leigh of the Law

Postby Leigh » Mon May 21, 2007 5:09 am

deftones2015 wrote:Mine seems to be picky with fruits he loves banana but other than that he doesn't really eat much when i tried melons, nor strawberries, doesn't seem to like apple either lol weird huh? :chin:

Ditto, it seems that he eats other fruit by mistake, like if its stuck to a bit of kale, how many of you actually offer just a single item of fruit? for a true study, loads of you blend together ingredients, so to say they eat this and that could be misleading unless offered individually, Blue will take banana from my hand, blueberries if rolled past his nose a couple of times.

Failures, strawberries,papaya,figs,apple,raspberries, star fruit, kiwi, mango{normally},plums,

Yet to try, Melon, blackberries, blackcurrent, pear, pineapple,peach, nectarines,oranges, lemons, gratefruit, pommegranite, anything else on the shelf at the store

One up side I found I love Mango :lol:
MMMmmmmm... Something???????

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”