Would you choose a HDPE cage over PVC?

Buying? Selling? Requests? Post them here. BTS ONLY!
Forum rules
This board is for BLUE TONGUE SKINKS ONLY!
Angel619392
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Would you choose a HDPE cage over PVC?

Postby Angel619392 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:15 am

Literally the title says it all
Ill leave a few pros and cons about pvc and HDPE

HDPE
PROS
1. Dense material so its really stronger
2. Smooth surface so very easy to clean and does not absorb pee or poop so no foul odors over the years
3. Heat tolerance of 248 degree so no warping for the cage
4. Holds heat and humidity very well
5. Wont rot if water falls on it
Cons
1. Price

PVC
Pros
1. Lightweight
2. Cheap price
3. Holds heat and humidity well
4. Wont rot if water falls on the material
5. Self extinguishing material
Cons
1. Will absorb pee and poop over time so a odor will eventually be present and cannot be removed
2. Many different types of expanded pvc that cage makers use so the denseness and quality is different
3. Tolerates up to 140 degree heat so chance of warping much higher than hdpe

May have missed a few but that is a good list for the materials.
Based of this what material would you use to build your cage with?
I will make a diy soon on building a cage out of HDPE and can make them for others if they become interested.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Would you choose a HDPE cage over PVC?

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:04 pm

368AUD per 3m x 1.5m x 6mm UV stabilized HDPE sheet.

I think perhaps 6mm thick clear acrylic will be just as good and somewhat cheaper than HDPE .

I personally would NEVER use PVC in an reptile enclosure because of the issues mentioned and the fact it will outgas Cl when exposed to temperatures likely near the ceramic light socket and the basking globe.

I'm in the process of building a set of modular lizard bays for my eastern bluetongues, eastern water skink colony , my central bearded dragons based on a CONNECTIT aluminium frame for each with 6mm acrylic sheet for the sides and back and strip under the sliding glass front doors, 18mm stained-varnished ( exterior grade Cabots water based stained varnish ) for the bases and 9mm stained-varnishied plywood for my removeable lids.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Angel619392
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Angel619392 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:07 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:368AUD per 3m x 1.5m x 6mm UV stabilized HDPE sheet.

I think perhaps 6mm thick clear acrylic will be just as good and somewhat cheaper than HDPE .

I personally would NEVER used PVC in an reptile enclosure because of the issues mentioned and the fact it will outgas Cl when exposed to temperatures likely near the ceramic light socket and the basking globe.

I'm in the process of building a set of modular lizard bays for my eastern bluetongues, eastern water skink colony , my central bearded dragons based on a CONNECTIT aluminium frame for each with 6mm acrylic sheet for the sides and back and strip under the sliding glass front doors, 18mm stained-varnished ( exterior grade Cabots water based stained varnish ) for the bases and 9mm stained-varnishied plywood for my removeable lids.

That style of cage your building is unique and something I have not heard of but sounds like a great idea the only thing is here in california in the united states , is that Acrylic could be expensive. But thats a unique way of building a cage I like it. Especially with some basic welding knowledge and if you can find some metal for cheap from local suppliers.

But yeah the reptile community on different forums have shut down the notion that PVC is dangerous and the gassing is very minimal. Its not true but you know people have business off of these cages so guess what money talks. whose to say a company that sold pvc cages would pay forums to prevent people from talking about it or have moderators shut it down by trying to explain how it does not off gas or the effects are minimal but that is all speculation about how the company handled it.

HDPE DOES NOT CONTAIN CHLROINE WHICH MEANS ITS AS TOXIC OR EVEN TOXIC WHEN burned at high temperatures that cause off gassing but its at 240 degree.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:00 am

Angel619392 wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:368AUD per 3m x 1.5m x 6mm UV stabilized HDPE sheet.

I personally would NEVER used PVC in an reptile enclosure because of the issues mentioned and the fact it will outgas Cl when exposed to temperatures likely near the ceramic light socket and the basking globe.

That style of cage your building is unique and something I have not heard of but sounds like a great idea the only thing is here in california in the united states , is that Acrylic could be expensive. But thats a unique way of building a cage I like it. Especially with some basic welding knowledge and if you can find some metal for cheap from local suppliers.

But yeah the reptile community on different forums have shut down the notion that PVC is dangerous and the gassing is very minimal. Its not true but you know people have business off of these cages so guess what money talks. whose to say a company that sold pvc cages would pay forums to prevent people from talking about it or have moderators shut it down by trying to explain how it does not off gas or the effects are minimal but that is all speculation about how the company handled it.

HDPE DOES NOT CONTAIN CHLROINE WHICH MEANS ITS AS TOXIC OR EVEN TOXIC WHEN burned at high temperatures that cause off gassing but its at 240 degree.

Re PVC tank builders and sellers, advertising $ on boards and in magazines and at shows talk very loud. The vendors produce flash advertising materials and most don't have an engineering or scientific background and you can be sure no proper scientific trials have be done by them.

No welding required ( of the aluminium hollow tubes used in each tank's structure) , this is the beauty of using the Connectit system .
And the way I've designed by tanks, no gluing of the acrylic is needed either , just some small screws that fasten the acrylic to so aluminium angle .

Here's my thread about the modular multibays i'm workoing on https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... a5512edfea
I could have had the tanks built in a couple of days, but I'm taking my time to make sure it's all done RIGHT from the getgo.

Return to “Classifieds w/Recommended Breeders List”