Page 1 of 1
How fast can a skink run?
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:36 pm
by Phantom
I am curious as to how fast a skink can run if it really wanted to or if it gets spooked. I am also curious, is there such thing a "lap skink"? Meaning on that just sits in your lap and you can pet him like a dog?
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:11 pm
by Zbiz
Blue Tongue Skinks are as lap dogish as you can get when it comes to lizards. My baby which is only 3 months old falls asleep in my hands half covered by his blanket (a small towel),while i watch TV every night. I just gently rub his neck and head and hes out like a light. Hes still a baby and they mellow down as they grow older.
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:17 pm
by Zach
Fast if they wanna be! I've seen tanimbars run right up a tree....
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:19 pm
by Phantom
Zach- Those little arms are capable of that?
Zbiz- he falls asleep when you pet him? Thats adorable
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:38 pm
by kris21
One of mine falls asleep in the pocket of my jacket, guess coz its nice and warm in there. They also like to sleep up near my neck probably for the same reason.
Kris
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:41 pm
by Funda
Same here! Its so cute

f.C
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:22 am
by LittleFoot
LittleFoot likes to drape himself across my chest while I watch TV, or his new thing is to plop himself on the book I am reading and take a snooze. He has such a personality.
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:12 am
by Jenn
They can be very fast, especially the keis!
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:43 pm
by mewzic-7123
very fast, some times i cant catch him, but how come nobodys actually recorded the fastest running?
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:16 pm
by KyleWeiss
Rollie can move. He ran after a sparrow in the grass, but no luck.
He also loves to "lap nap."
KW
running
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:00 pm
by aggiegirl
They can move pretty fast when they want to---especially the babies! They can also "disappear" pretty quickly into the grass. And, until I saw it with my own eyes, I didn't realize how those short, stubby legs could be used to climb. (I can't imagine a bluey climbing a tree though!!! That is something I would love to see---but I doubt my Northern could ever manage!)
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:15 pm
by Phantom
Wow, I am surprised. I thought those little arms couldn't do much, guess I was wrong.
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:17 pm
by MartinsPerson
They can be quick little buggers!
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:08 am
by Leigh
Mine likes to play creep mouse with me, turn and turn back ,he's moved a metre but is as still as a picture, repeat step one and he's gone two metres, they are little buggers some times, heh .
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:36 pm
by KyleWeiss
Honestly, Phantom, it's a lot less "arms," and much more body with the blueys. They kind of get help directing motion one way or the other (sideways or forward) but the snaking action is pretty strong with these guys.
KW
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:57 pm
by JWSR
65 MPH. (on flat terrain, that is, and with a good tail wind.)

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:14 pm
by Lucifer_Spades
JWSR wrote:65 MPH. (on flat terrain, that is, and with a good tail wind.)

Yeah, maybe with a sail or jet pack strapped to it's back.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:34 pm
by Phantom
Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:43 am
by KyleWeiss

Though you might be closer than you think... direct size ratio-to-speed, say if a car were a skink's size and in a race, I'd think it'd be quite close... at least for a while.
KW
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:12 am
by bluetonguemad
lol, the skink in the aquarium here ive seen do a really quick (and i mean blindingly fast speed) of about half a km an hour, less than half a mile an hour, this thing was so slow it was funny