Page 1 of 1

Dark Meat?

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:25 am
by bmxstreet21
Is it OK to feed my BTS a boiled chicken leg, or should you only feed them white meat? And, if it is OK to eat, should I take the skin off of it?

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:18 am
by SkinkysMom
Lean proteins are better, but I don't think dark meat is a problem.
I would take the skin off though :)

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:45 pm
by Jenn
Most of the time my guys get chicken breast but that's because I can buy it and freeze it in individual packets (which can be pulled out for me or the blueys!) but they've had dark meat too. I took off the skink as well.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:09 pm
by mom22wins
I took off the skink as well.


:lol:

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:02 am
by Leigh
Why is a chicken leg dark meat, was it given dead legs or booted to death :noknow:

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:16 am
by skinkee
What is white meat if chicken isn't? :|

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:24 am
by Lucifer_Spades
skinkee wrote:What is white meat if chicken isn't? :|



Poultry has both white and dark meat. Legs, wings and the back have dark meat it'sa darker color, fattier, and has a stronger flavor than the breast, and thighs which are white meat.

reading that over....

I feel like such a nerd. :nerd:

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:31 am
by skinkee
^Never thought of it that way - I consider chicken and turkey as white meat, pork and beef as dark; this is the way people classify them in the "human" diet here. Game, such as duck, is also dark.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:43 pm
by Lucifer_Spades
skinkee wrote:^Never thought of it that way - I consider chicken and turkey as white meat, pork and beef as dark; this is the way people classify them in the "human" diet here. Game, such as duck, is also dark.



Poultry, fish, and pork are white meat, Beef is red meat. Even the Dark meat on a bird is concidered white meat when compared to other meats but when comparing chicken meat to chicken meat there are varieties also.