Page 1 of 1

Around his mouth

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:23 am
by blkarazu
Okay, so I've had my skink for about 8 months. He is wonderful. For the last two months, he has grown what looks to be almost like scabs or something around his mouth. I was told to try Neosporin, and that seems to work and I think it is all gone, but then it comes back. Does anyone know what this is?

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:39 pm
by russman
Its mouthrot. Try reading about it on the caresheet.. that should help.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:15 pm
by KyleWeiss
I wouldn't jump right away and say mouthrot, a lot of skinks tend to simply get food stuck on their faces that can stay for a long time. It can really look like a serious problem until you scrape the stuff off and all is well.

It may also be some stuck shed on the mouth, too.

I'd post some good, clear pictures, or if you're really worried, take it to your friendly neighborhood reptile specialist vet.

KW

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:30 pm
by Usersafe
My Jerri has mouth issues and I use a q-tip to help clean her mouth. Most of the time she puts up with it but once in a while she'll get irritated and bite the q-tip. My vet gave me vetadine to use for her.

Steve

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:35 pm
by Funda
Pictures would help us figure out what the actual problem is, so get to work! :lol:

:blueyprint: f.C

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:36 pm
by Chase
russman wrote:Its mouthrot. Try reading about it on the caresheet.. that should help.



Usually you would take cultures to determine the diagnosis of mouthrot, but when we're over the internet and you can't see the skink it's usually a better idea to just guess.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:25 pm
by russman
Sorry, I was guessing that it was mouthrot based on what I've read about the problem. Should have clarified.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:13 pm
by NomadOfTheHills
This is one of the problems usually associated with a "mushy" diet.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:43 pm
by DeadEye
NomadOfTheHills wrote:This is one of the problems usually associated with a "mushy" diet.



yes baby food and moist stuff ..In the wild they eat dryish stuff mostly grubs and bits of plant matter .I know a plant near my house out the bush every morning arounf 10 am when the suns up it always has a few bobtails eating it . Ive got some seeds of it this winter i wanna grow it , It holds alot of water and thrives in dry sandy soil , funny the BTS are always at this plant ...Must find out the name of it ,when you crush the leafs moister drips out ..I watch wild scats to learn what there eating :lol:

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:39 pm
by NomadOfTheHills
That's why I try not to make food into mush, what would they eat in the wild with that consistency? Maybe some things, but not much.

I would imagine that they eat a lot of insect larvae crawling around in the leaf littler and under/in moist, rotten logs.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:00 am
by KyleWeiss
The bits Rollie won't eat after feeding dry out really quickly since Nevada's humidity is so low, and I really don't mind Rollie crunching down on the remains hours later. He seems to like it. :noknow: :lol:

KW

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:20 am
by Leigh
Man, they're tricky critters these Blueys, makes you think ,damned if you do,damned if you dont

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:02 pm
by mewzic-7123
wat kind of diet do u feed it? some pitures probably would clarify everything